Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Homemade rc, mounted sprocket finally/sprocket question?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Homemade rc, mounted sprocket finally/sprocket question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:33 AM
naynay12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade rc, mounted sprocket finally/sprocket question?

Well i ended up mounting the sprocket to a shaft from parts i had lying around.I got a hex nut,filed away at it until i could press it into the sprocket,drilled the centre of the nut so it could fit on the shaft,then put a small nut and bolt through the nut and shaft.
As you can see both sprockets have a rounded edge to them on the teeth,and i accidently pressed the larger sprocket into the nut the wrong way around,so as you can see in picture number 4,when the smaller sprocket is mounted to the engine,the round edged on the teeth of both sprockets will be facing opposite way.Will this cause the chain to fall off,or doesn't it really matter?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90603.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1166354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89990.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1166355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92137.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1166356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92429.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1166357  
Old 03-26-2009, 05:31 AM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Homemade rc, mounted sprocket finally/sprocket question?

it really should not matter. You will have such a small length of chain in the end that it isn't going to go anywhere.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:38 AM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Should be ok.
It takes a bit more than a rounded enge to make a chain come off.
During my experimentations with chains and sprockets at the very beginning of my build I had the sprockets all wonky and out of line and it still worked.
As I was getting everything from the scrapyard they were all mismatched and the chains weren't matched to the sprockets etc.
The sprocket that I had mounted on the clutch was going in the opposite direction that it was designed to, and you know how those bike sprockets have funny angled teeth to enable the chain to slide across when you change gear.

The only time it came off was when one of the bike hubs came loose on the axle and it wobbled around and the chain snapped at the connection link.
I never found the remains of that link either.....

Old 03-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Mudgy

ORIGINAL: naynay12

Well i ended up mounting the sprocket to a shaft from parts i had lying around.I got a hex nut,filed away at it until i could press it into the sprocket,drilled the centre of the nut so it could fit on the shaft,then put a small nut and bolt through the nut and shaft.
As you can see both sprockets have a rounded edge to them on the teeth,and i accidentally pressed the larger sprocket into the nut the wrong way around,so as you can see in picture number 4,when the smaller sprocket is mounted to the engine,the round edged on the teeth of both sprockets will be facing opposite way.Will this cause the chain to fall off,or doesn't it really matter?

depends on the direction of rotation, mate.
If you have a sprocket rotating clockwise (looking at the outside of it all - motor in front of the rear wheels - located to the left) you would need a left handed thread. there fore, as the motor turned, under load, the clutch bolt/nut would want to self tighten.
If you had a RH thread here, the bolt/nut would come undone as the motor spins. Same goes for vice versa.
As far as sprocket teeth design, I think you won't see any dramas there.
Good luck!!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:22 AM
da mad maori

she wont fall off mate, just keep it all aligned and you'll be sweet
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 AM
RCguru09
Banned

With the right tools you can get the job done faster and more accurate as well as using standard parts off the shelf.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Not all of us have access to the right tools, neither can we afford the right parts off the shelf.
I for one prefer to make things up myself anyway as it's more of a challenge, and feels more like it's your own creation as well.
Nothing like spending a couple of days walking around pondering on how to solve a problem and then all of a sudden it comes to you - you try it and it works.
best feeling ever.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This makes three of usAnd i guess several others too!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:50 PM
derbyguy78

amen ....i agree 100%
Old 04-01-2009, 06:14 AM
drewcrew6

yeah yeah 100%

back to original post I agree you should not have an issue with the chain coming off as long as its resonably tight and inline. But I am not sure exactly what you mean about the rounded edge opposite . The smaller gear is rounded to let the chain run smooth around such a small dia sprocket direction should not matter.

Drewcrew6