Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

First Kit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:33 PM
flashbang357

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Kit.

I am looking at purchasing a baja 5b kit and was wondering if this would be a good decision. This would be my first kit build, and my second rc car. My other vehicle is a T-MAXX. (That sould be on a liscense plate bracket lol) Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks- Matt
Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: First Kit.

You shouldn't have any major issues. How old are you (I'm guessing 20 plus, by the avatar)? I know this rarely means anything necessarily, but I would be more confident saying that to an adult, than a young teenager. One of the surprising things about the build is how heavy it becomes as it goes together.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Nitro Fumes

If you like to tinker with things and you're mechanically inclined it shoulbe be no trouble at all. The instructions are very clear. For me I have have a lot of experience and I've only done kits. I just hate the idea of an RTR. But you can see just how well detailed and clear the instruction are. Just got gto the link to see a .pdf of them here:

http://www.hpiracing.com/instructions/#Kits

Its at the top in the middle for the Baja 5B SS kit.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:15 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have built 4 HPI RC vehicles including a 5B SS and there instructions are very good. If you have any mechanical ability it will be no problem.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:56 PM
SAVAGEJIM

The 5B SS kit would be great for you. HPI has very good instructions, even better than what FG has! And the pictures HPI includes with the instructions are really second to none.

Even if this were your very FIRST RC, you will be very surprised at how very easy HPI build instructions are. Furthermore, the 5B is surprisingly a very simple vehicle; so once you build a kit the first time, you can probably built another SS kit in half the time (in the first go of building any kit, that is always your slowest since you will be meticulous about everything.The second and subsequent times, you can literally build some of the parts without even looking at the manual!)

The 5B SS kit would be good for your first gasser 5th scale kit, partly because of the ease of reading HPI instructions manuals and also for affordability of that kit (significantly under $1000 now). There are other kits out there, but they are considerably much more expensive. Ranging from $1500 for MCD rollers to in excess of $3000 for a Harm, Elcon, etc.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:36 PM
46u

One thing I recommend getting and not running your 5B with out it is a kill switch. Keep in mind these things weight around 21 to 25 pounds and can do real damage not only to your 5B but to others property or lord for bid a person.
http://www.rckillswitch.com/index.html
Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 PM
SAVAGEJIM

A kill switch is great, and a not too expensive an upgrade (and very simple to install too).

The nice thing about kits is as you build them you can add tons of hop-ups during the build (Check 46u's own 5B SS build thread!)

Of course, you can go ahead and build straight away, and then upgrade later on too. No need to rush because upgrades and hop-ups will cost beaucoup (not "Buku") amounts of money! A tuned exhaust like a JetPro or Dominator (the good pipes that really work) will cost anywhere from $150-180, engine upgrades can cost $500 for a modded engine (even much more) variuos chassis upgrades, clutches, etc, can rande from as little as $25 each to as much as $200 each. (Just trying to warn you how addicting the hobby can get).
Old 03-27-2009, 10:01 PM
46u

I only thought racing 1/8 scale was expensive then I bought my 5B SS! [X(] I had over $1700 in mine before I ever fired mine up and I all ready had a radio. I figure if I ever get mine like I want it I will have around $3000 in it.

If work picks up I am going to start racing my 5B SS.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:50 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Cant wait to see it! The body work and Rebel Racing theme you put into really rocks!
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Cant wait to see it! The body work and Rebel Racing theme you put into really rocks!
Just about all my race RC vehicles are painted like that. Just ordered a used pipe for my Baja.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 PM
flashbang357

Thanks for all the replies. To answer your questions, yes I am very mechanically inclined, I love building things. The only thing im not to thrilled about is the long build time for it , from what i hear.
ORIGINAL: Foxy

You shouldn't have any major issues. How old are you (I'm guessing 20 plus, by the avatar)? I know this rarely means anything necessarily, but I would be more confident saying that to an adult, than a young teenager. One of the surprising things about the build is how heavy it becomes as it goes together.
By the way im 17, thats not my car lol its one of my Dad's friend's.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:30 PM
46u

A big part of the fun is building it. It really helps you to learn it so when you want to or have to work on it you will have a LOT better idea. One thing I recommend to get is a kill switch as it will same you a lot of money in the long run.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

if i had the money ill buy the ss too..and yes the hopups are addicting and expensive.i think i spent around $2500 already thats with the nib 5t truck and a used 5b and some basic hop ups like killswitch,tires and pipe.i spent more than what i spend on 1/8th in 2 years combined..[X(]
Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 AM
cheezer1222

Trust me, putting together the hpi kit is not bad at all. If I can do it, anybody can. The instructions are very good, you can download the pdf if you want a preview of what you're getting into. Like SavageJim said, eventually you're going to want to throw some upgrades on there. One of the few tips I can give is, when looking for a pipe (dominator in particular), watch ddm's ebay auctions. They usually put up a baja dominator for auction. You can snag it much cheaper on there with free shipping.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: flashbang357

Thanks for all the replies. To answer your questions, yes I am very mechanically inclined, I love building things. The only thing im not to thrilled about is the long build time for it , from what i hear.
Surprisingly, the build will go quickly. You should be able to build the kit bolt by bolt in under three evenings after school. And speaking as a fellow tinkerer, I can gauranty you that those few evenings will go by VERY quickly, the fun of the build is actually as much fun as firing it up for the very first time! So what might look like a long build will actually be very short when you look back on it and you are bashing and/or racing your 5B kit!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 AM
46u

I had over $1,700 in my 5B SS before I ever started it as I did quite a few up grades right off the bat and all ready had a radio. When I am done which you really never are done I will have around $3,000 in it.[X(]
Old 03-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: flashbang357

I am very mechanically inclined, I love building things.
That's all I needed to hear. You will get the sickness like all of us did. Time to say goodbye to any and all disposable income!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:15 PM
46u

With the economy the way it is and loosing much time at work do to it there is not any disposable income so I am going to give up eating so I can buy more parts. LOL
Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 AM
flashbang357

Hmmmm...... I should by a 1:1 scale car first lol. Parents' vehicle is killing my income, 10 mpg[:@]. I'll be able to afford both by this summer, if I still have a job.[&:]