Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Nutech Thunderbolt II - Out of the box pics.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Nutech Thunderbolt II - Out of the box pics.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nutech Thunderbolt II - Out of the box pics.

So, it's arrived. The news is 90% good with only a couple of odd things. By the way, this is all you're going to get before I do the proper review.

Out of the box pics then... Here is a guide to what you are looking at in each picture...

1) This is the front end of the car, from slightly behind and to the right. Showing the monstrous alloy chassis brace which has been kept from the previous thunderbolt. Also note the semi-alloy servo saver, the dramatically different front end chassis layout, and the ENORMOUS turnbuckle with tool guide (hex) for quick adjustment. I would like to see also a hole drilled through, so I can use a 2mm hex driver to adjust it, but hey, something for the TB3 maybe...
2) Central area. You can observe the same helical cut all metal drivetrain (the main two drive gears (I guess you could say pinion and spur) under the cover are not helical cut), and a slightly different throttle servo layout.
3) Big diff case. I haven't disassembled it yet, obviously, but I understand it will hold oil, as will the other diffs (F/R).
4) Radio box with failsafe and switch supplied, but no battery. We should wait for confirmation from Nutech whether or not this is deliberately left out, or maybe not ready yet, as this is supposed to be an RTR. I sincerely hope that the 4xAA battery carrier supplied with the radio is not intended to be used instead.
5) Yep. It's a CY 26cc.
6) Redesigned filter, seems better, can't really tell yet.
7) New wing mount and rear 'bumper'. I can't tell you what a great improvement this is. On the old TB the wing was flapping around on two plastic stalks. This is a much better arrangement, much sturdier and adds to the image.
8) Check out that little steering servo! It's a stock size regular steering servo! I'm not going to risk commenting on that til I've tried it. It's safe to say I am very sceptical though, I do not think this will end well, but you never know... Also note the obvious mounting position for a large scale servo, the two holes in the chassis. Throttle/brake servo is standard size too. I guess that explains the 4xAA battery holder.
9) Same fat alloy rear brace, like on the front, also a feature of the original TB. Love those braces.
10) I'm really feeling the new rims, compared to the TBs dull dish ones. Time will tell how they perform, but they look good, the pics don't do them justice, they have a quality look and feel about them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70770.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1169104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75913.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1169105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70693.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1169106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80780.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1169107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69747.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1169108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz37818.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1169109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt31154.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1169110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu71760.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1169111  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl90337.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1169112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am64473.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1169113  
Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Foxy

Default RE: Nutech Thunderbolt II - Out of the box.

And now the glamour shots. The light was terrible for photography today, but this car still looks good from pretty much every angle. Again, it looks even better in the flesh, trust me, this thing will be a head turner at the bash spot. I spent a good couple of minutes (my girlfriend too) after I took it out of the box, standing there looking at it going 'Wow!'. My girlfriend thinks its really great looking, and she thinks RC is a waste of time, so that's a big plus!

By the way, I have not done ANYTHING, except fit the wing, all these pics are straight out of the box.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36394.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1169114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12817.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1169115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86117.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1169116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24496.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1169117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13727.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1169118  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
DarkFire989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nutech Thunderbolt II - Out of the box pics.

That thing looks sick!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:48 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nutech Thunderbolt II - Out of the box.

Whats the price and please put up an review video. thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Foxy

aluminum crusher, the review will be at least a couple of weeks I'm afraid, I just don't have time for RC during the week because of my day job, so I do the reviews at the weekends. Please be patient with me.

I've seen it advertised for $899, but that's not official pricing. Nutech will have to tell us what the official price is.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:02 PM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: Foxy

aluminum crusher, the review will be at least a couple of weeks I'm afraid, I just don't have time for RC during the week because of my day job, so I do the reviews at the weekends. Please be patient with me.

I've seen it advertised for $899, but that's not official pricing. Nutech will have to tell us what the official price is.
OK thanks it looks like a strong one, is that the same company that makes the boxer I forgot it's been a while for me must get all caught up on things.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Foxy

Different company (Smartech makes the Boxer), but the 2 companies share some common infrastructure, hence the similarities. All the Smartech 4wd gas cars up to now are based on a slightly modified Smartech Titan design, like the Boxer and the Thunderbolt 1, a car which while slightly flawed, I liked a lot. Once I put a decent engine in it, it was great. This is the redesign of that car, the Thunderbolt 2, only this time from Nutech with a better engine and finally, oil filled diffs which were the other thing the TB1 desperately needed. I had not expected it to be so different in other aspects though. It's almost different enough to be a new design on its own. Only the common plastic and alloy chassis parts give it away. Nutech also has a trophy truck variant of this coming soon, it's just a different body and possibly wheels, basically the same thing, but the Nutech TT body looks really nice as well. A lot of the Chinese cars were always let down by ugly bodies and dodgy paint designs (the Thunderbolt 1 included there), but Nutech looks to be turning this around, the TB2 is a fine looking car and feels much more finished and polished as a product than the Thunderbolt 1 did.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 PM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Different company (Smartech makes the Boxer), but the 2 companies share some common infrastructure, hence the similarities. All the Smartech 4wd gas cars up to now are based on a slightly modified Smartech Titan design, like the Thunderbolt 1, a car which while slightly flawed, I liked a lot. Once I put a decent engine in it, it was great. This is the redesign of that car, the Thunderbolt 2, only this time from Nutech with a better engine and finally, oil filled diffs which were the other thing the TB1 desperately needed. I had not expected it to be so different in other aspects though. It's almost different enough to be a new design on its own. Only the common plastic and alloy chassis parts give it away. Nutech also has a trophy truck variant of this coming soon, it's just a different body and possibly wheels, basically the same thing, but the Nutech TT body looks really nice as well. A lot of the Chinese cars were always let down by ugly bodies and dodgy paint designs (the Thunderbolt 1 included there), but Nutech looks to be turning this around, the TB2 is a fine looking car and feels much more finished and polished as a product than the Thunderbolt 1 did.
Any pic's or links for the new trophy truck and pm if you remember to let me know that your review is done. Thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Foxy

Yeh, there was a thread a while back... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8566195/tm.htm
Old 03-30-2009, 02:38 PM
hellya

I think if Nutech wants to be in the game.... they need to set a price equal to the Redcat 4x4 buggy around $700 or have different options like a roller
alot of us pull the stock engines right off the bat or use our own radio equipment and servos.

I like the new body does it fit on the older version Foxy?? Atleast the aircleaner has some coverage now!!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: hellya

I think if Nutech wants to be in the game.... they need to set a price equal to the Redcat 4x4 buggy around $700 or have different options like a roller
alot of us pull the stock engines right off the bat or use our own radio equipment and servos.

I like the new body does it fit on the older version Foxy?? Atleast the aircleaner has some coverage now!!
Actually, I agree, for us who are already in the hobby, these electronics add little to zero value, just like all other RTRs.

As for whether or not the new body goes on the old car, I'm not sure yet, but I'm expecting the answer to be 'not without significant modification'. The body mounting system and the rear wing mounts are very different, but I'm sure it could be done. I'll try it and let you know.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 PM
kidd

it has the alloy brakes already. i see holes i the chassis that maybe for putting a largescale steering servo. modding that 26cc would be allot more gratifying than a puny 23cc
Old 03-30-2009, 05:19 PM
clubin

WOW, that looks KILLER! Nutech, is realy taking this 5th scale thing seriously.

Look out MCD and FG!

Looking forward to the review.

It doesn't look goofy like the previous model. It seriously looks like somthing I could have in my collection.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: hellya

What's up Hellya we all know your the man so were's the video to this new rig running stock out of the box??? LOL (you know we can't wait on Foxy...LOL)
Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a nice looking buggy.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:39 AM
Obeast44

The only real thing im not liking besides the steering servo and radio gear is all the Phillips hardware.Thats easily rectified though

Id defeinitely be interested in one without any servos or radio gear.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 AM
Foxy

I'm with you on the servos, but then again, who buys an RTR thinking they won't need to change the servos. The philips hardware is a mystery though, I have strongly recommended they try to source hex hardware, but I doubt it will happen.

As a 'by the way' though, I was informed on the servo specs today, and those little standard servos are pretty damn impressive! The steering servo makes 250oz-in @ .16sec to 60deg, and the throttle/brake servo makes 190oz-in @ .13sec to 60deg (6v of course), so I'm kinda looking forward to being pleasantly surprised. In any case, even if they are crap, it's to be expected, and in my opinion, should not put anyone off buying the car. Also, Nutech tells me that they are trying to source Futaba large scale servos, but this may or may not be possible in the end. Here's hoping it is possible without any further price increase.

So far, I can't say I find the $899 asking price to be over the top. Seems fair for what you get. Consider that it has 3 viscous diffs, MANY alloy parts, an all-steel drivetrain, alloy arm braces which completely capture the hingepins, the best set of shocks I've seen on an RTR, a genuine CY 26cc engine, helical cut diff gears, etc, etc. There are models costing twice as much which don't have all these features. Basically, after the electronics and pipe, the car doesn't really NEED any upgrades. It's already strong where it counts... shock shafts...massive. Turnbuckles...massive. Dogbones...massive. Driveshafts...massive. Drivetrain...all steel. Steering blocks (hubs)...alloy and seriously chunky... I'm still trying to think what upgrades I would even want! I guess time will tell.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Obeast44

The more and more I look at it the more I like it. Yes the phillips hardware does need an improvement, but like I said thats an easy fix. What about the radio box? It looks extremely small and theres no way you can fit a 5-cell hump pack, kill switch and a receiever in there. Room for a kill switch is an absolute must for me, as I almost lost my 5b in a river, due to a stuck throttle linkage. On a sidenote, it looks to me like a TGN X-can will fit on it. Although its not the best performing exhaust its effective enough. With the stingers itll route the exhaust to the rear,instead of in front of the rear suspension. If they offer a semi roller version without the radio gear and servos for a reasonable price id be willing to pick one up. When funds (read:Wife)permit that is
Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Foxy

The X-can is a perfect pipe solution for this car, I tried it already on it's predecessor. Radio box isn't small. Isn't big, but isn't small, I'll take some pics with a hump pack in there for the review so you can get a better idea. Like I say though, the full review may be two weekends away yet.

I strongly doubt they will offer a roller or a reduction in price. Consider that those electronics are not even worth $60 total. How much of a reduction do you want? Would you consider a roller for $849 when you can get an RTR for $899? As a business would you bother splitting your product line into two tranches with just a $50 difference, just to satisfy those who would prefer a roller? I know I wouldn't.

Anyway, wait for the review and the videos, I have no doubt you'll be in a better position to make a judgment at that time.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Obeast44

Valid point on the electronics, but the option to exclude them would be nice. I for one, would take the $50 cut in price, considering I have a full set of servos, spare RX, and a 5 cell hump pack looking for a home

I gotta wait 2 weeks for a review?!?!?! JK man I understand completely. Just ship it out to me, I will be more than happy to do a full write up, break down and testing session for you

Besides its my B-day today( turned the dreaded 30 )!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Foxy

Wow man, feels different doesn't it? 28 was the first landmark for me, when I actually FELT older. Then it happened again at 30, and I have a feeling it will happen again at 35 too (I'm still 32 right now).

Happy B'day anyway mate, what did she get you?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Obeast44

A 360 elite, some games, and Baja Skunkworks front brakes for my 5b. Guess I shouldve asked for the Nutech Thunderbolt 2 rofl

Something else ive noticed in the pics. On the rear Diff, there are extra holes. Looks like possibly sway bar mounting locations to me. Any ideas on that?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:00 PM
pwaicon

Can’t wait for your review Foxy, your last one was excellent. There is no doubt that is a nice looking buggy and if performs like my Titan it will drive as well as it looks. I never take the electronics into account when deciding on a new car, if I did I wouldn’t have purchased the Rampage. As for the price I would gladly pay more for the Thunderbolt over the Rampage. That is not to say the Rampage isn’t a good vehicle but I think the Thunderbolt has some added features that warrants the price difference, such as metal drive gears (spur and pinion), alloy chassis braces, 6mm shock shafts compared to 4mm, steel brake disks, and the obvious a killer looking body.

With that being said, for Nutech to compete they don’t have to match the Rampage price they need to match their customer support. I emailed Nutech’s US Distributor to ask them the difference between the TB 1 and the TB 2 and I quote “the big difference between these two is the Body of the Truck” if that is the big difference I guess Foxy doesn’t need to do another review. I am very impressed with the way Redcat handles the issues the Rampage has had. From the factory to the distributor to the retailers their customer support is excellent. I have no doubt any issue that arise with the Rampage will be looked into and corrected as soon as possible, this has been proven in the past. Not to mention there as been some aftermarket support by various manufactures.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Foxy

Thanks man, I consider that high praise coming from you. I completely agree on Nutech and Smartech both needing to have a better front end. What they really need is a presence in Europe, someone who will actually answer questions accurately and quickly and dedicate time to support, marketing and 'networking' in the industry.

The body is not the big difference, or even in the top ten of significant improvements.

Obeast, yes, the sway bar groove is apparent front and rear on both the Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2. Sway bars will likely be an option, I doubt I would bother though myself.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 AM
mikeinoz

I can offer a brief review after having had about half a tank through one of these on the weekend. I start buy saying I bought a Titan back when they first came and thought it was a good rig but deffo had a few silly design faults and I watched it gradually gain a poor reputation to the point where I doubt anyone would buy one today.
It was immediately appararent taking the TB2 out of the box that some of the issues had been rectified. The frontwheels could not over turn and pop driveshafts out, the on/off switch was easily accesible, it had a CY motor, the shocks were not leaking.
I too was shocked to see the small steering servo but have to say it seemed to work well during my run. The wheels seemed to be turning with authority in fact I think the stock titan servo was much worse and that was a 1/4 scale servo. Also the brakes were locking up all 4 on pavement so no problems there.
I did not have any mechanical issues during the run although mine is only a 23 and being run in. The only issue i noticed was at low fuel levels it was sucking air and realised that is becuase the fuel pickup is at the front of the tank. Easily fixed. Also my fuel cap would not do up tight and leaked badly but Nutech said this has been fixed.
Overall I'm impressed and will be fitting a titan pipe and bigger airfilter for the next run (we run on a VERY dusty track and the CY filter clogged up in no time!). I will leave the small steering servo for now. One possible concern is lack of airflow to the motor as the body fits closely to the chassis almost all the way around. I might slice the side windows out if heat buildup is a problem.
I think buggy this will give the fs ones a good run for the money and I believe Nutech have a full range of alloy bling available now or very soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.