Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Differential Distress...Need a little help.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Differential Distress...Need a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
MonsterKawi314
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Distress...Need a little help.

[:@] Hello all. I work full time at Hobby Hub. Someone brought in an FS Racing "King Kong" 2wd truck. The gentleman said he had many problems with the rear differential continously breaking, and asked if I could help. With little knowledge about this brand (FS Racing) I took to the internet in search of a better rear differential. And I ran across MCD, (which now I am definitely interested in purchasing one for myself). In my searching, I found that many parts from the MCD Racing manufacturers are compatible with many of the FS Racing rc's.
So, here's my question: Will the rear limited-slip differential from say an MCD Baja 1000 fit into an FS Racing 2wd "King Kong" truck? The two differentials look almost identical. Now with that question comes another. On largescalerc.com they have part #: 043-assy-r2 - "Rear differential assembly spiral 2008", as well as a hop-up part called "MCD Limited Slip Differential, Rear, Complete with Bearing." Besides the bearings on the second part, are these not the same? The price difference in the two is over $100. And I know that there is no way two bearings cost $100. If the two were the same, minus the bearings, I would do much better just buying the "rear differential assembly spiral 2008" and purchasing the bearings at my local A.B.S. bearing store right up the street, while also saving this man some money while upgrading his "clone" to a much more reliable rc. Please share some of your knowledge with me on this topic.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:57 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: Differential Distress...Need a little help.

I know for sure that the MCD limited slip diff will cost more not because of the bearings, but because of the innards that make it do its thing (just like GM Posi-trac). The spiral cut one would be just your basic diff except with the helical cut outer diff ring. I personally like the helical gears, they offer a smoother operation and they can actually bear more forces (due to the increased surface area the helical cut teeh present to each other when they interface, and also the angle increase that much more linea material for the forces to bear down upon).

(If I had my preference, I would make the limited slip diff ALSO to include the helical cut gears!)

As for MCD gears going to be direct drop in for the FS king kong clone, I think it will be a direct drop in, but please dont quote me on that. Cloners have recently begun trying to make slight changes away from the original to become more proprietory.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:16 AM
FS*MT*4WD

the lsd drops right in, get 4wd conversion
Old 03-31-2009, 02:57 AM
MonsterKawi314
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks guys. Now there is still the question of are the innards of the "complete rear differential" the same innards of the "rear differential assembly spiral 2008"- minus the spiral pinion gear and the set of bearings? Have a look if you want at the two: [link]http://largescalerc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=379[/link] is the complete one, and [link]http://largescalerc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1621[/link] is the "rear differential assembly spiral 2008"
Old 03-31-2009, 09:24 AM
FS*MT*4WD

yea its just the spiral no gears, get the lsd..you will be happy