Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

steel roll cage from Integy

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:21 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: steel roll cage from Integy

And that is the beauty of this hobby: If you cannot afford the quality manufactured gear, you can create your own quality gear to fit specifically what you have and for your specific needs.
All you need is the right tools and a decent amount of skill (which virtually ever hobbyist will learn from custom fabricating) and you will have what you need.

The is the great thing about our hobby: they are not toys by any means at all, they are skill encompassing, brings out creativity, and very high performance.
To belittle our RCs and call them toys does not do them any justice at all. A toy is a supposedly harmless child's entertainment item (although due to the flooding and dumping of cheap toys that are poorly designed, they are not necessarily always safe).

Our RCs are well beyond any toy, RCs are a HOBBY and should never be treated as toys. Our hobby is for entertainment (no doubt about that at all), but what steps it above toys is the amount of care, responsibility, and skill involved to enjoy the hobby. RCs are high performance and a 20 lbf gasser going 35MPH down the street can do serious damage: it can break you leg if it hits you. It can kill you if you jump it and it hits your head. And that is not a toy at all.

In summary, our hobby can spur self invention and custom fabrication and at the same time hone skills for each of us to make excellent custom pieces. And being that we are all from various backgrounds, some of us electronics experts, others of us welders, and other yet machinists, the sum of all of our skills can create some very nice and even superior parts for our RCs.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 PM
RickyIS300

I used to spend thousands $ with DDM also, after awhile you get things from different places you are going to realize what works for you.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM
borley1863

Can`t belive the amount of baja integy stuff thats just been put on ebay uk, over 6 pages! all from the states. Someones either gonna be lovin or hatin ebay
Guy
Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 PM
mooman007uk

if it's made from .049 4130 chromemoly tubing then it'll be a good buy...however I have my doubts as to the grade of steel used. Someone buy one, jump on it and let everyone know if it bends
Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

if it's made from .049 4130 chromemoly tubing then it'll be a good buy...however I have my doubts as to the grade of steel used. Someone buy one, jump on it and let everyone know if it bends
I'll definitely vouch for your own custom made roll cage, you used a nice and sturdy space frame design and I have no doube that you can tumble your RC end over end and you cage will take some whacks but still retain its shape. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-11-2009, 02:42 AM
sweendog1969

I dont know if Integy sucks or is the best stuff in the world. I just need to know how to properly install the new steel cage for the 2.5 rusty(L5XYS703
Integy Steel Roll Cage TRA Nitro Rustler
), they didnt show a picture or anything?! Do I need longer screws? Do i cut the chassis? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:35 AM
SAVAGEJIM

This roll cage mentioned in this thread is completely different form yours. You should ask the Traxxas forum guys to see if they know how to install it.

The roll cage mentioned here is for 5th scale gas RCs.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
victory-rc

And while your at it,jump on the "other" brand from the smaller fly-by-nite manufactures.

Good to see that the integy non-sense is still alive and well on this website.

As the smaller "businesses die-out and you cant buy from them anymore, (already theres a "out of stock" on the small businesses LOL... ) ... guess who will still be in business INTEGY
Old 12-11-2009, 11:19 AM
mooman007uk

a 600lb gorilla can jump on the ones i build and it'd be fine, a cage is a cage and is supposed to be tough and protect, nascar boys wouldn't be very pleased if their cages looked good but crumpled on impact cos 4130 wasn't used...they'd be kinda dead.....so I'm not saying this one isn't tough I'm just suggesting a test i know a well constructed one would pass is all...a no non-sense test in my view... and yep jump on all the others too (of course it has to be mounted first)
I'll reiterate...and i honestly don't care who makes it, i'd make the same comment if new era made it, if it's made from 4130 it'll pass the test if made from lesser material it wont and may well bend on a good roof slap...even stainless tubing isn't strong enough for this application
Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 AM
victory-rc

a 600lb gorilla can jump on the ones i build and it'd be fine, a cage is a cage and is supposed to be tough and protect, nascar boys wouldn't be very pleased if their cages looked good but crumpled on impact cos 4130 wasn't used...they'd be kinda dead.....so I'm not saying this one isn't tough I'm just suggesting a test i know a well constructed one would pass is all...a no non-sense test in my view... and yep jump on all the others too (of course it has to be mounted first)
I'll reiterate...and i honestly don't care who makes it, i'd make the same comment if new era made it, if it's made from 4130 it'll pass the test if made from lesser material it wont and may well bend on a good roof slap...even stainless tubing isn't strong enough for this application
The ones you make? So your here selling your own products ? I didnt know you could do that here on RCU ? ..Il note that LOL

What does your cost and do you have a picture,Sorry ,I just dont see anyone being able to beat integy on the price,There integy cage is fine so im interested to hear your price.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 PM
mooman007uk

nope don't sell them, just make them for myself because i can and no one else makes what i want...and if i was selling them (which I'm not and have no intention of doing so) the cost of the steel alone is more than integy charge...$84 in each cage + shipping so about $100 before I start then about 5hours labour

rampage MT cage

rampage TT cage

next one I'm building is for my nutech MT
Old 12-11-2009, 06:44 PM
victory-rc

looks like you do nice work.looks heavy.

looks strong but realy heavy
Old 12-11-2009, 07:30 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cost of the steel alone is more than integy charge...$84 in each cage + shipping so about $100

Here is a link to a place where I buy short pieces of 4130. I can get enough material to build a 1/4 scale CAR for under $40. You should be able to do a cage for $15 or so.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...tubing_un1.php
Old 12-11-2009, 09:28 PM
mooman007uk

I buy from aircraft spruce also and have noticed their offcut bundles which i might try next...believe it or not there's over 1oft of 3/8 .049 tube in these + the 1/4 and 2" .080 plate adds up fast...i'm up in Canada and order from the Ontario depot ,
Thanks for the compliment Vic RC the cages weigh 2lb 12oz each the stock plastic one weighs7oz so net gain of 2lb 5oz, for a full cage this strong it's not bad weight wise...only as much as One rampage MT tire/wheel[X(] and on a truck that weighs 30lb+ already it's doesn't make a big difference (MT is 37lb!!)

the nutech cage should hopefully weigh in at a lot less than 2lb seeing as the truck is 10lb lighter than the ramp it doesn't need to be so beefy
Old 12-12-2009, 08:19 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

nope don't sell them, just make them for myself because i can and no one else makes what i want...and if i was selling them (which I'm not and have no intention of doing so) the cost of the steel alone is more than integy charge...$84 in each cage + shipping so about $100 before I start then about 5hours labour

rampage MT cage

rampage TT cage

next one I'm building is for my nutech MT

but that cage is on a FG not a baja? 2 different cars.. I thought you made a cage for a baja..so you comparing a " home made" cage to a cage that is designed for a car? i do not get it..[sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM
mooman007uk

but that cage is on a FG not a baja? 2 different cars.. I thought you made a cage for a baja..so you comparing a " home made" cage to a cage that is designed for a car? i do not get it..
Que??

they are actually rampages as it clearly says above the photos[sm=red_smile.gif]

i posted them as an example of a tough, braced cage that you can jump on when asked by victory rc if i built cages...it's irrelevant what truck they're on and if need be i could build one as strong for a baja...but don't own one and never will

all this over a comment asking if these cages were tough and out come the integy defenders again[sm=punching.gif] we all know how you feel about it and no doubt v-rc sells them, however...i never slurred, slated or put down the manufacturer of this cage as i didn't want to start this pointless debate all over again and foxy clearly laid down the law just asked someone to test it is all
Old 12-12-2009, 12:24 PM
victory-rc

but that cage is on a FG not a baja? 2 different cars.. I thought you made a cage for a baja..so you comparing a '' home made'' cage to a cage that is designed for a car? i do not get it..
Que??

they are actually rampages as it clearly says above the photos[sm=red_smile.gif]

i posted them as an example of a tough, braced cage that you can jump on when asked by victory rc if i built cages...it's irrelevant what truck they're on and if need be i could build one as strong for a baja...but don't own one and never will

all this over a comment asking if these cages were tough and out come the integy defenders again[sm=punching.gif] we all know how you feel about it and no doubt v-rc sells them, however...i never slurred, slated or put down the manufacturer of this cage as i didn't want to start this pointless debate all over again and foxy clearly laid down the law just asked someone to test it is all
"? and no doubt victory rc sells them?" what you talking about ?.... for the record i am neutral,you could say im "part" of a hobby shop operation but still neutral... your not qualified to speak for me,thank you. your the one with a price on the cages you sell,not me.

anyway we drifted from the nice integy cage...and it is nice.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:06 PM
mooman007uk

oops sorry, my apologies [sm=red_smile.gif]

just for the record I don't sell cages..just make them for me ..

so back to the subject I also must agree the integy cage does look nice..and is very well priced
Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 PM
mooman007uk

ok, my cages aside here's an extreme 5b cage that passes the 600lb gorrila test, actually the 300lb truck test, it's for general sale and is made to order for the 5b and priced very reasonably...holy cow this is nuts...so for 5b guys who want something really tough here you go

[link]http://5thscaleracingforum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=28894#post28894[/link]

hopefully, though it's a link on another forum, foxy will see it in his heart to let it pass cos this is absolutely the nuts for 5b owners and needs to be shared
Old 12-13-2009, 02:06 AM
victory-rc

ok, my cages aside here's an extreme 5b cage that passes the 600lb gorrila test, actually the 300lb truck test, it's for general sale and is made to order for the 5b and priced very reasonably...holy cow this is nuts...so for 5b guys who want something really tough here you go

[link]http://5thscaleracingforum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=28894#post28894[/link]

hopefully, though it's a link on another forum, foxy will see it in his heart to let it pass cos this is absolutely the nuts for 5b owners and needs to be shared
moonman,i didnt know you were a member on that forum,theres good people there,sorry if i was a little snappy with you in the above posts,theres some nice frames showing up for the 5b.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:22 PM
mooman007uk

it's all good, sometimes we can all get a bit off, also to hndaman1 i also apologise for seeming a bit sassy
Old 12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

it's all good, sometimes we can all get a bit off, also to hndaman1 i also apologise for seeming a bit sassy

right back @ ya.. it is all good..