Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Beginner Glider Input Request

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Beginner Glider Input Request

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 06:10 PM
BigA1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Glider Input Request

Hello,

I was interested in some beginner advice regarding choice of first RC glider. Hence me posting here instead of in the "Beginners" forum as there are some things mentioned in the sticky posts there I don't agree with.

I built a 4 channel Sig Kadet Sr. 20 yrs ago and lasted 20 seconds in the air lol, rebuilt it but never flew it again. Built a Stick 40 Plus and a CG Buddy box for that 10 yrs ago but never flew it so gave that away too.

So I got the bug again and been researching forums / reviews / and Youtube. Also been spending alot of time flying Picasim simulator on the PC with a thumbed controller - invaluable IMO.

Pretty sure I like the relaxation of the gliders but still a little afraid I may become bored with that and want a little more plane for a loop / roll or there is a slope soaring hill no to far away to maybe try. I enjoyed the built up covered "Woody" models as I last left the hobby but looks like foam models are recommended for beginners now and abundant. Makes sense to me for beginning RC pilot.

So I'm not completely new to the hobby just not successful in the air so far and I don't think I want to limit myself (if possible) with first model.

I think my first choice would have been the Lanyu/Volantex ASW28 2540mm as it seems to fly so graceful and easy to see with big size but am afraid of what it would cost to ship from Hobbyking (I read the nightmare postings.)

There is a budget and I was specifically looking for pros / cons on my final two choices.
Note these models are approximately same weight, and "flight ready" price to me. I do not plan to be on the throttle all the time, hopefully gliding.

79in Yuki Model LS8-18 PNP (EPO Foam)
http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...s8-18-pnp.html
8.0 oz/ft wing loading (a guess based on 100g heavier 2meter ST ASW28)
2M wingspan easier to see
no spare parts available
easier to see
seems to fly more stable in videos
not much info online

or

FMS 1500MM LET 13 PNP
http://www.diamondhobby.com/airplanes/fms-1500mm-let-13
7.69 oz/sqft. wing loading
wing skids and belly wheel
smaller 1500mm span harder to see
seems like a 'tougher' model and easier to repair with spare parts available
may be more suited for the VERY windy slope hill in the area
seems more capable at advanced flight manuevers

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

BigA1982,

I'm not familiar with a Yuki or FMS nor have I seen any at the field but I've built and flown a Sig Riser and a Gentle Lady, both 2m and excellent flyers and a great first glider, the Gentle Lady is available as a ARF as well. I bought a foam Parkzone Radian ARF for $160, it includes a 480-size 960Kv brushless outrunner motor, 30A brushless ESC, and servos, all installed. I had it built by the time my battery was charged, it's also easy to fly and is great to learn to thermal with. I can easily put 6 flights per battery charge because it gets to 400' so quickly.

There are lots of threads about Radian mods out there. Even though the stock motor/prop combo works really well I plan on replacing the prop, spinner, and motor soon. My two cents any ways.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/category...--1/sailplanes
Old 02-20-2015, 09:52 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How do you wish to launch your glider? Hi-start? winch? Discus Launch? electric launch?

The first glider I recommend every time is the ParkZone Radian. Either the receiver ready or the RTF.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/radian-rtf-pkz4700

I have a fleet of high end contest planes and my Radian gets lots of air time because it thermals so well. And I fly it on the slope too.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:09 AM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

Question? Did you try teaching yourself how to fly on your own when you built your first plane. If so, very un-wise. If you are going to do that, find a really cheap plane to do that with. Or find a instructor to teach you. By the way you post, sounds like it. I flew Sailplanes all the time, I thought one time I would build a 4 channel motor (glow engine OS .25) trainer and fly it thinking since I knew how to fly, lol. That lasted about 15 secs. Ailerons got the better of me. Took off real nice did a nice roll and planted in the ground. That was about 23 yrs ago. I am coming back into the hobby this yr after 27 yr break. Sailplanes/Gliders are great to learn with over motor. Reaction time is better with a glider than motor (glow engine). Using a Simulator is good if you want to get the basics of flying, it is better if you have the transmitter that you are going use with the plane set up on it. That way you get the feel for it. For me I only build Woodies, that is me. The building relaxes me. Foam is great for some people but not me. Like the others had said Gentle Lady, Sig Riser are great woody kits. Sig also has a slope glider also. http://www.sigplanes.com/Kits--Sailplanes_c_34.html
Have fun in what ever you decide.

Last edited by Aquila1954; 02-24-2015 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:14 PM
aeropharoh

I would like to suggest another good candidate beginners model (particularly if you are considering slope soaring)

The Schweitzer 1-26 HLG
http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/rcp..._1-26_HLG.html

EPP foam such as is used in the DAW 1-26 is much tougher and more impact resistant than the EPO foam used in the 79in Yuki Model LS8-18 PNP (EPO Foam) model you mention and is better for a beginning pilot..
If you construct the DAW 1-26 to use ailerons and build the wing to have simple dihedral (not polyhedral) and use a dihedral angle of about 2 degrees - you will have a fine rugged beginners glider that can be flown under nearly all conditions of lift.

Note: This glider is not motorized, but flies exceptionally well on slope lift or after being bungee launched

Notes on bungee High-Start launching if you are unfamiliar - http://home.iprimus.com.au/ianpullar...Hi-Starts).htm
Old 03-05-2015, 12:55 PM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

If you like to build in wood I would check out the Skybench page Olympic II and Paragon are both easy builds. http://www.skybench.com/index.html?h....com/home.html
Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Tweedy said, Skybench is a quality class act .
Old 03-07-2015, 01:40 PM
SBS_Pilot

Originally Posted by BigA1982
There is a budget and I was specifically looking for pros / cons on my final two choices.
I have no experience of neither of your choices, but such small trivialities doesn't keep me from having opinions :-)

The Yuki model seems to be a (more or less accurate) scale model of a full-size glider. From what I've read gliders rarely scale very good, the high aspect ratio of full-size gliders can give rather nasty flight characteristics on a model. On the other hand, when flown correctly they really look good.

The FMS model is on the smaller end of gliders, which give it a rather high wing loading. Besides, a smaller model limits it's visual footprint and makes it harder to see and thus limits the area (or height) you can cover when searching for lift.

That's the only comments I have on those two, and, as I said, I have no personal experience of them so there is a chance they turn out to be excellent gliders despite my doubts.

Some other comments: There is no single 'best' beginners glider, most of them are, in my opinion, 'good enough', but some will have some advantages depending on local conditions and personal preferences. Much more important is how much you fly. If you're going to fly much, you have to have a plane you like. If you are a T-stab-fan, go get yourself a T-stab-glider. If you are a floater fan (like myself), go get a floater and just accept the fact that it doesn't fly as good as a heavier plane when it's windy. If you are a...., well, you get the idea.

You don't have to be afraid to limit yourself with the first glider. The challenge isn't so much to control the plane, as to understand where to fly your plane. I mean, if you don't find lift it doesn't matter if you have Gentle Lady or a Ava - they both come eventually. OK, the Ava might float a little bit longer, but that's beside the point. What matters is that you'll learn to find lift just as good in a 'simpler' plane as in an expensive one. And to learn to find lift might take a while (at least it did for me).

As to foam versus woodie I have no personal preferences. Several of my first planes were woodies and they have survived surprisingly much abuse without being unrepairable. I've had a very good time with my electrified Fling 2M from Great Planes (balsa wings, fiberglass pod and boom, now discontinued). OTOH, my favorite low-budget glider right now is Multiplex EasyGlider Pro.

My two cents.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:51 AM
aeajr

Hello,

I was interested in some beginner advice regarding choice of first RC glider. Hence me posting here instead of in the "Beginners" forum as there are some things mentioned in the sticky posts there I don't agree with.

I built a 4 channel Sig Kadet Sr. 20 yrs ago and lasted 20 seconds in the air lol, rebuilt it but never flew it again. Built a Stick 40 Plus and a CG Buddy box for that 10 yrs ago but never flew it so gave that away too.

So I got the bug again and been researching forums / reviews / and Youtube. Also been spending alot of time flying Picasim simulator on the PC with a thumbed controller - invaluable IMO.

Pretty sure I like the relaxation of the gliders but still a little afraid I may become bored with that and want a little more plane for a loop / roll or there is a slope soaring hill no to far away to maybe try. I enjoyed the built up covered "Woody" models as I last left the hobby but looks like foam models are recommended for beginners now and abundant. Makes sense to me for beginning RC pilot.

So I'm not completely new to the hobby just not successful in the air so far and I don't think I want to limit myself (if possible) with first model.

I think my first choice would have been the Lanyu/Volantex ASW28 2540mm as it seems to fly so graceful and easy to see with big size but am afraid of what it would cost to ship from Hobbyking (I read the nightmare postings.)

Note these models are approximately same weight, and "flight ready" price to me. I do not plan to be on the throttle all the time, hopefully gliding.

79in Yuki Model LS8-18 PNP (EPO Foam)
http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...s8-18-pnp.html
8.0 oz/ft wing loading (a guess based on 100g heavier 2meter ST ASW28)
2M wingspan easier to see
no spare parts available
easier to see
seems to fly more stable in videos
not much info online

or

FMS 1500MM LET 13 PNP
http://www.diamondhobby.com/airplanes/fms-1500mm-let-13
7.69 oz/sqft. wing loading
wing skids and belly wheel
smaller 1500mm span harder to see
seems like a 'tougher' model and easier to repair with spare parts available
may be more suited for the VERY windy slope hill in the area
seems more capable at advanced flight manuevers

Thanks for any thoughts.
Either of the gliders you selected looks fine, based on your interests. If it is more aerobatics you are interested in the I would go for the FMS. If it is more thermal soaring then I would lean toward the Yuki for the larger wing span.

Neither would be gliders I would select as first thermal gliders but they might thermal very well. As stated above, I have no experience with either one.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:55 PM
JMCHASE

From you post it sounds like you have little stick time. Are there any rc clubs in your town? If so it would benefit you to get with an instructor and do some buddy time. Dont forget to join the AMA most all clubs require that you do. As for a plane look for one made with EPP as suggested. I fly Zagie's on occasion there made with EPP you can bounce them off a brick wall and get flying almost immidately. Motors a pusher. They are made to slope soar as well as combat some are rated at 85 mph not reccomended for beginners. After you dial in the controls they fly really great.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:00 AM
RickC2

I have used the Radian to teach my son to fly RC. After I trimmed it out and got it to altitude I handed him the transmitter and he did fine, he gave it back to me for the landing and on the second flight he flew it from lanch to landing.

While the Radian is not what I would call exciting plane to fly, it is graceful, forgiving and relaxing.

Just my opinion but I find it's a great place to start.

RickC2
Old 03-14-2015, 05:26 AM
JMCHASE

One of the reasons i fly sailplanes is the relaxing part. Also they are cool to look at. Long wings graceful turning and longer flights. When i was a kid i lived near the beaches and rolling hills north of San Francisco these were favorite locations of glider pilots i sat for hours watching these guys fly. I think thats what got me hooked on becoming a full scale pilot and flying RC.✈️
Old 03-14-2015, 07:56 AM
aeajr

Originally Posted by RickC2
I have used the Radian to teach my son to fly RC. After I trimmed it out and got it to altitude I handed him the transmitter and he did fine, he gave it back to me for the landing and on the second flight he flew it from lanch to landing.

While the Radian is not what I would call exciting plane to fly, it is graceful, forgiving and relaxing.

RickC2
You are correct. As one who LOVES the Radian, I can tell you that one does not buy a Radian for the sake of flying the Radian. Anymore than one buys a fishing pole and tackle for the sake of having a fishing pole and tackle. We buy and fly the Radian to find lift and to work the thermals and soar like the birds. Just as we use the fishing pole to catch fish.

The excitement is not in the flying, it is in the hunt!
Old 03-15-2015, 09:19 AM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by RickC2

RickC2
My daughter tagged along with me to the flying field yesterday to fly my Radian. I asked her if she want a turn at the sticks and she said yes to my surprise and did great, by the second flight she did some low passes! Last night she was begging me to take back out today! The Radian is beautiful in flight, thermals almost to easy, and is about as easy to fly as anything I've flown before. Most importantly my daughter and I had a great time together, $160 well spent!
Old 03-15-2015, 03:47 PM
aeajr

Took my Radian slope soaring today. Not the most exciting slope glider but I got a lot of air time. Had a great day.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:38 PM
JMCHASE

What's cooler then that huge airplane graceful flying
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sailplane.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	2082086   Click image for larger version

Name:	sailplane 2.png
Views:	494
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2082087  
Old 03-17-2015, 01:56 PM
aeajr

Hello,

Snip...

Thanks for any thoughts.
Big A,

How is your research going? Did you get a glider?
Old 03-21-2015, 05:58 AM
BigA1982

"Big A,

How is your research going? Did you get a glider?"

Yes AEAJr. , I got the the Lanyu/Volantex ASW28 2540mm from HK. Showed up here in only two days after ordering and shipping cost ended up very reasonable from AR warehouse to IL. Picked up a FlySky FSi6 to go with it, programmed that based on Paul from YouTubes's ASW28 FST6 programming and made a new field box / model holder for it. Spending alot of time on Picasim with the FSi6 first before first flight.
Thanks for the input guys.
BigA