Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Steel wire for pull pull tails and making spring for elevator and rudder.

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Steel wire for pull pull tails and making spring for elevator and rudder.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:48 AM
amsharma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel wire for pull pull tails and making spring for elevator and rudder.

Need to know which kind steel wire is used for 1 m and 1.5 m DLG to connect servos to elevator and rudder. Also need to know where to buy. And the same information for making the elevator and rudder springs. Beadalon 49 Strand Stainless Steel Bead Stringing Wire.015 in / 0.38 mm, Satin Silver, 30 ft / 9.2 m https://a.co/d/cesuzeV Is this wire good for connecting servos to tail surfaces? Thanks
Old 08-17-2022, 09:20 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think you'll find that most folks using a pull-pull or spring-pull setup are using low stretch fishing line for the pull lines such as Spyder Wire... which isn't wire but a unique plastic fiber. But if you do insist on something of the sort then I'd look into their smaller sizes. The loads on the surfaces are light by any standards. Their smallest .010 size would be more than strong enough and easier to work with for forming small neat tidy ends. And with using the smaller size you can use small lengths of 1/16 K&S aluminium tubing as the crimp sleeves very easily for very tidy looking ends.

For guide tubing look at the various small sizes of teflon tubing from the usual online shopping sources or electronics parts suppliers. If you go with the .010" size wire or with the Spectra or Spyder Wire synthetic lines either will fit through 22Ga ID tubing.
The following users liked this post:
amsharma (08-25-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 09:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 223 Likes on 181 Posts

Yea, I use coated leader line from the sporting good store
amsharma (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 04:47 AM
amsharma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the answers.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:38 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Something that I also do is to hang a 5# to 10# weight with the line for about a week. This helps to stretch the line. It helps to prevent stretching after installation, and running out of adjustments.
amsharma (08-26-2022)