Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Lanier U-2

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier U-2

i just got a Lanier U-2 free flight glider. i hope to convert it to rc. this is my first glider. it was only $20 so if it crashes i wont care. any tips for a first timer? has anyone converted this glider before? what are the differences between gliders and powered aircraft? i taught myself to fly electrics so i think i can handle this.
thanks
Old 08-31-2005, 09:42 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Lanier U-2

I've made 3 of these with .15's on the nose. I know folks that use .049's and speed 400's. Takes off about 5 mph, wings start flapping at 15.

I normally cut the nose off 1" in front of the cowel, sink a 2 or 4 ouncer into the nose and glue on a piece of ply for a motor mount and landing gear attachment. Not sure how the electric guys do it, but its not much different with the battery around the balance point on the wing. Either cut the elevator and rudder out or just attach to the existing area, inch wide surfaces work fine. I forget who used to offer this airplane as the gooney bird or something like that, but it was the Lanier glider with the above modifications.

Oh yeah, 3 strips of 1 inch strapping tape on the bottom of the wing.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:59 PM

i was planing on useing it as a pure glider. i will launch it with a high start. can it be built with 1 aileron servo? maby with flex conecters ( that flexable linkage that runs through a hose. i think it is made by dubro. ).
Old 09-01-2005, 05:54 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You'd have to add your own ailerons, I don't know if I've seen one with it. Also, those wings are REALLY flexi. The foam is the same style as the Walmart 3.00 chuck gliders, this one is just bigger, so If you add strip ailerons, they'll have to sit and kink while the wing bows. Pull a hard enough loop and the wings will touch tips. I'd stick with Rudder/Elevator for controls.

High Start? Again, you'll have to do some serious strengthining of the wings. A light wind sloper it might be good for, but I think it'll just fold on any highstart you might have. You could rout a 1/4 groove in each wing and poly u a CF pushrod into it, then add a spar joiner in the middle and that would stiffen the wing nicely. Ad a 1/4 in ch balsa trailing edge and hook ailerons up to that, but I've seen many happy hours of flying on these things with just a speed 400 shoved in the nose and not much else save a splash of paint.

With my 15 size one, I used to go up to the field and fly around the hay spools, or fly big figure 8's with me at the center, pulling up to clear my head, all at about 5 mph. It's cool to watch the tail swing way out, then watch the wing start to dip, then watch the airplane react to that and turn.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 AM
gyandras

Hy!

102511! Could You show us a picture from the U2?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:50 AM

i dont have it yet. i will do a build thread when i get it. i will use cf rods in the fuse and wings and i will stick with rudder/elivater. i was thinking of covering it with packing tape for strength or would fiber glass work better? i was thinking of useing a .049 to get it up there and dead stick it when the fule runs out. where can i get a folding prop for a cox.049?