Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

BOT ARF is here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 01:12 PM
TomM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOT ARF is here!

I put 2 Hitec 475's up front and still had to epoxy 4 quarters ($1.00) in the nose. That steel pushrod must weigh twice as much as a miniservo.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:48 PM
Miami Mike

Default BOT ARF is here!

Originally posted by TomM
I put 2 Hitec 475's up front and still had to epoxy 4 quarters ($1.00) in the nose. That steel pushrod must weigh twice as much as a miniservo.
I guess I'll go with an HS-55 in the tail then. I just picked one up at the hobby shop.

Didin't you get a bag of steel shot with the plane? You're supposed to stuff the shot into the hole in the nose and then plug it with a screw.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:08 PM
TomM

Default BOT ARF is here!

Originally posted by Miami Mike

Didin't you get a bag of steel shot with the plane? You're supposed to stuff the shot into the hole in the nose and then plug it with a screw.
Well I read the message about some of the lead shot that's already in there getting loose and rolling around the fuse, so I decided to pour a little epoxy in the nose to seal it better, and figured 4 new quarters are luckier than 1/2oz of lead .

Not too worried about the weight as I have a couple of floaters already that are too light on some days.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:45 PM
A4HawkPilot
My Feedback: (3)

Default Up Up and away!

Well I got my BOT in the air today. I ended up going with a HS-60 in the tail. Very strong and fits perfect.

After about three hi start launches I finally caught some good lift.
Before I knew it she was way the hell up there and it was getting very hard to keep good orientation. I could really see the need for spoilers. I kept trying to get it back down without going into a vertical dive and it just didn't want to come down! I was diving so steep I could hear the "WOOOOSH" as it pulled out of a dive. It seemed every which way I would go it would still climb. I was starting to get worried but then I found some sink and down she came. Whew.

This is a very fun model to pull out on a cool morning or evening. In fact, I'm going back out later.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Equest

Default BOT ARF is here!

For those of you who are interested in modifying your BOT with spoilers. Mr. Darnell took on the challenge and wrote a very good article with pics that I came across on the Soaring Exchange. The link is below.

http://www.dozone.net/public/rcsoari...0of%20Time.htm

Equest
Old 07-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Anders
My Feedback: (4)

Default BoT

Anyone tried the BoT from Esprit models? It has ailerons... I am thinking about the electric version, but know nothing about it...

I used to have one RES in the 80's, so this would be fun nostalgia.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Terror Dactyl

Default BOT ARF is here!

Nostalgia, I think that the word you are looking for is "Retro".

The flat wing aileron version is hardly the same kind of bird, but I agree that the look is still one of the best in the air. \

Yes I have one of the new ARF's now.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:11 AM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

Default BOT ARF is here!

Greetings,

Yup, just too good to resist. I think I may have of gotten lucky. Went to my local HS and ask when the BOT can be had, considering they seem to be sold out for a while, and found out one is due in any day. With any luck, I should have on the morrow.
Adding spoilers will be the first business. Considering that I would like to fly RES, in addition to current open TD.
The elevator is in question. I too do not like the idea of a 55, even thought they seem to work. I tend to like a little overbuild.
I will have to see just how much room there is, and go through the mirad of extra servos and see.
Then again, perhaps a pull pull with coated cables may be good.
It is not a matter of weight differences between direct or cable for the elevator, as much as slop. I can handle a little slop in most of my controls, except the elevator. Personal pet pea.
I hope to get it up and going in a week. Yet do plan on a recovering job. Something like a darker underside will be in order, plus orange just is not my preference.

Jared
Old 07-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Terror Dactyl

Default BOT ARF is here!

You might think about some of the micro MG servos, I am putting in a JR for the elevator
Old 07-15-2003, 04:04 PM
hawksnest

Default BOT ARF elev. servo

Originally posted by Terror Dactyl
You might think about some of the micro MG servos, I am putting in a JR for the elevator
Should probably work good, I am still using my original GWS NARO HP BB (19oz) after over 40 launches, numerous speck outs, loops, rolls, landings, etc. I first tried an HS-81MG into the hole in the tail, and could get it in with no problem. The reason I didn't use it was that it would've required a 1.5 ounce chunk of lead in the nose to counter it. My AUW with the GWS is 58 ounces. I had a credit at Tower, so I ordered and received a spare wing, and removed all the covering, and am installing spoilers, and glassing the center section, before recovering in transparent Ultracote. I will do the stabs also with light Ultracote trans. to save some weight on the tail. BTW, the Monocote was very easy to remove without any heat, it is only sealed down on the seams, and shrunk with hot air. Takes a good 45 minutes to slice a couple places and strip the three wing sections. Wood looks good, and is light, maybe 8-10 #. BG
Old 07-15-2003, 04:42 PM
jorgeelizondom
My Feedback: (1)

Default BOT ARF is here!

Do all come with white colored covering on the bottom side of the wings??

They should have used orange!
Old 07-15-2003, 08:23 PM
hawksnest

Default BOT ARF is here!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GeorgeEE
[B]Do all come with white colored covering on the bottom side of the wings??

Yup, they only make one flavor. All Orange & white, white bottoms. All the white bottoms turn black at speck height or before anyway. I use black, red, blue, yellow, etc. bottoms, and I don't see much difference except when at a reasonable altitude. I have more trouble seeing the leading edges coming at me when turning at a great distance, even with reflector tape. I just try to concentrate on where I have placed the plane last, and keep up with it. I haven't lost one yet, but I have "misplaced" a few for a short time. BG
Old 07-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Miami Mike

Default BOT ARF is here!

Originally posted by GeorgeEE
Do all come with white colored covering on the bottom side of the wings??

They should have used orange!
Even orange would be bad but not as bad as white. Dark colors like black or dark blue are best for the bottoms of sailplane wings. It's not so important against clouds, but against a clear sky color makes a big difference.

Here's my solution:

Here are some more pics.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:06 AM
hawksnest

Default BOT ARF is here!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Miami Mike
[B]Even orange would be bad but not as bad as white. Dark colors like black or dark blue are best for the bottoms of sailplane wings. It's not so important against clouds, but against a clear sky color makes a big difference.

Here's my solution:

Good idea, but do you remove the pans before flight??
Love those big polka dots !
I don't care much for green, but lime green shows up very well up high on wingtips also. BG
Old 07-16-2003, 12:10 AM
jcstalls

Default BOT ARF is here!

Greetings,

Got lucky and picked mine up today. Looks great at first glance.

Mike, I really like you idea with the dark circles.

With any luck, my first RES contest will be in a week and a half. So I think I will just build it, and if time add the spoilers. Good to hear, kinda, that the covering is easy to remove as I plan on recovering in different colors also.

Hank, are you going to use light film on the wings, or regualar strength?

Jared
Old 07-16-2003, 12:24 AM
hawksnest

Default BOT ARF is here!

Originally posted by jcstalls
are you going to use light film on the wings, or regualar strength?

Jared
I plan to use standard weight transparent Ultracote on this spare set, only because I'm out of light covering. On my Big Birds, I use light transparent Ultracote on the tip sections, and standard weight transparent on the inboard sections. I will compare the weight of a re-covered wing with 3 bay spoilers and two CS-20 servos installed, as compared to a standard factory covered wing with no servos. I'll let you know. Bill
Old 07-16-2003, 12:43 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Default BOT ARF is here!

I used a bellcrank system on mine, but I drilled the holes to be a tight fit for all the rods and glued the nyrod down. I don't see any more slop than using the servo in it.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:23 PM
hawksnest

Default Recovered BOT ARF + spoilers

I recovered the Bot ARF wing after putting in spoilers, and glassing the center section. Also recovered the tail feathers. Total weight stock was 58 ounces, total weight after spoilers (2 CS-20 servos)and recovering, 57 ounces. Flew it this afternoon, flys good, and the spoilers are very effective. I think 2 bays by 1.5 in. would be adequate, I used three. Next set, if I do any more, will be set back to within 2 inches of the trailing edge, and the servo in front, because the wings are thin and the servo where it is, just touches the covering. I put them to the rear (a-la-Dr Drela) on the Big Birds, and they work fine. Bill G.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	96447_15231.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	51060  
Old 07-26-2003, 12:09 AM
jcstalls

Default BOT ARF is here!

Greetings,

Bill, your bird looks great. Adding spoilers and loosing an ounce, fantastic. Congrats.
I just looked up the AMA regs, and yup, two inches min. is the number. I suppose with this, the servo can still be left where it is at, with linkage back to the spoiler.
Do you have a link for Marks info on spoilers that you mentioned?
I was over on Charles River, and did not see it, thanks.
Hope to get mine finished tonight.

Jared
Old 07-26-2003, 12:38 PM
hawksnest

Default BOT ARF is here!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcstalls
[B]Greetings,

I just looked up the AMA regs, and yup, two inches min. is the number. I suppose with this, the servo can still be left where it is at, with linkage back to the spoiler.
Do you have a link for Marks info on spoilers that you mentioned?

Actually, the servo will go almost against the spar where the wing is thicker, and there is more clearance. The article is on www.skybench.com under Sailplanes, Rays RES Bird series, then scroll down to Big Bird, and " Spoilers--How---Where---Why. Dr Drelas comments are in that article. Bill
Old 07-26-2003, 12:59 PM
jcstalls

Default BOT ARF is here!

Greetings,

Thanks Bill, got it. Finished it very early this mourning. Have not weighed her yet, but I had to use all the supplies lead to balance, mmm.

Jared