Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

3 axis gyro

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3 axis gyro

I have heard about using 3 axis gyro's for flybarless heli's but can it be used for a heli with a flybar copter to control the head and tail?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3 axis gyro

I have a Skookum 360 that does well on my T-Rex 450. Even got a Quad Rotor set up for it, handles really nice. Lot of hooking up to the computer to tweek the settings though. In the paper work that came with it they specifically say not to attempt what you are thinking, do to "un-tested results".
But i sure would like to try it too! I'd like to attempt that very thing on one of my larger and older helicopters first though. Could end up with expensive results, but it sure would be a lesson well learned! HUH? LOL []
 Now I do also have what is called a Co-Pilot CPD4 that is designed to operate with a fly bar.                                                                                  <font size="3"><u>http://www.aeromicro.com/catalog/fma_co-pilot_flight_stabilization_system_2819259.htm</u></font>
Old 11-07-2011, 09:56 PM

I've tried that co-pilot it flew the copter right into the ground...
Im looking for something to minimize drift and over instability untill you can trim the heli for flight.
I used a chinesepiezo on the tail and was amazed how stable it became.
I could run 3 seperate gyros but wanted to hear from others that have tried this approach.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM

No luck with the Co-pilot? Mine seems to do quite well. Now if I get to close around buildings, and one time I was to close to my pickup, just starting to get light on the skids, and it got stupid on me real quick! Shut it down, moved away from the truck and it was fine. They are sensitive to the surrounds and weather conditions. What type of heli did you have it on, 120deg three servo or 90deg two servo?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:17 PM

Oh yea, the three gyro thing.
I figured that'd be a cheep and easy deal, but couldn't get them to respond right. They would drift one way or the other uncontrollably. Never tried to get off the ground with that set up.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 AM

I had it on a hirobo shuttle.
I am flying on ten acres surronded by mountains and buildings.
the buildings are close 2-300 feet the mountains are 1/2 mile so the signal is constantly resetting.
I had it into a hover and started to go into forward flight and it got above the buildings and went wild.
I dont know how I got it back down but I got it to the ground without a boom strike.