Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie

hi,
I am new and here is my story , I was at a christmas party and my nephew brought a lttle heli that he got at the mall, i tried it and thought it was the most fun , so today i ordered a Syma S023 from amazon . Then i found this forum and discovered i may have got the wrong statrer , Well it is to late now so i will learn with it then if need be i can get a better statrer one after the holidays are over ( I am sure everyone know's money is tight this time of year ) But i just wanted to say HI
My father who is in his 60's always wanted to have a model Heli , picked up one some where for 12 bucks , My plan is to get him a good starter like other forum members recomend on here for him for his birthday in January then i can upgrade mine after ,,,,,And if it goes like i hope it will my wife will take interest and that will open the door to better equipment faster
Sorry for the long post but i am so excited about my possible new found hobby that other people in my family have .
Happy Holidays to everyone Dave
Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: newbie

Some times it will cost you a lot more money buying the cheapy helicopters then just biting the bullet and getting a good one.

You need to figure out what type you want, fixed pitch. coax, or a collective pitch helicopter. Do you want to get a all in one package or put it together from GOOD pieces?

This is just my simple opinion here and others will have theirs. I would say get a middle of the road coax to fly around the house and front yard on calm days and collect all of the parts as you can for a 450 sized helicopter.

Something [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/2_382_707/products_id/28929/n/Blade-mCX-RTF-Electric-Coaxial-Helicopter-w-Spektrum-DSM2]LIKE THIS[/link] [link=http://www.xheli.com/walkeraheli-lama400-camogreen-lcd.html] OR THIS[/link]

Then you can start getting the pieces together for [link=http://www.xheli.com/18h18-exi450pro-belt.html]SOMETHING LIKE THIS[/link] I priced this helicopter out with (3) digital servos, radio, motor, speed control, gyro, tail servo, charger and a battery, it came to $350.00. Not bad for what you get. It costs a lot less then it did when I first started with a 30 sized nitro bird.

Of all the things you will spend money on, get the most radio you can get. It will make your life so much easier then a cheap one. I fly Airtonics, other fly Futaba and JR. You will need to figure out what you like.

Buzz.