Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

cheapest tranier heli?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

cheapest tranier heli?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 08:26 PM
shades
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheapest tranier heli?

hey i'am getting a heli sooner or later so i figured why not now so i was wondering what is the cheapest heli that is gas powered? i want somthing that i wont get bored of because this is why i skipped trainers with planes but with helis i dont think there is any other way, so i want a heli that i wont get bored of but for helis there'l all fairly similar when it comes to the classes as in like all trainers are supposed to be easy so i want a good looking heli that is pretty cheap please email me if you have some really good i des or have one for sale
Old 11-20-2003, 04:37 PM
supersport396

Default RE: cheapest tranier heli?

Century hawk sport,try a search.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:52 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should trade cheap for QUALITY
Old 11-26-2003, 03:53 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't think cheap for a heli. If you get a good one, you don't need another for a long time. The raptor 30 will take you well into 3D and is one of the finest trainers and has the best price on parts. You can get a cheaper airframe, but it will cost you more in the long run.

Don't go too cheap, you will have to get another one soon and then it costs more. Get the good one first, even if you have to pay a little more to get it.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:17 PM
car4az

I was recently looking for the same thing, a good helicopter to learn on at a reasonable price. I have a Hawk Sport with an OS 32 in it. Great helicopter to learn on, and the quality is great. I haven't had many issues with it. It flies well.

my 2 cents
Old 11-28-2003, 11:09 PM
bErRy BaKeR

Hi there,
but why you choose gas...not electric?
GAS:
1.Need to clean the fuel tank after several times of flying.
2.When glitch, the GAS heli would not be stopped or Reverse as fast as a electric heli...(That's what i think)
3.A GAS heli cost more than a Electric Heli..(why bother to spend more on the Nitro than the Batteries?)[&o][&o]

Regards,
KEn
Old 12-01-2003, 07:45 PM
zeropitch

How about a 50 size heli for the price of a 30 with things standard like cnc swashplate and fully ballraced, Cyberheli.com is doing a very good deal on a Cypher 50.
I have ordered and recieved one but yet to build, but read this thread from Galifrey and it might help [link=http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t73401p1/]CLICK HERE[/link]
Old 12-01-2003, 09:27 PM
lawnhawk

I am very pleased with the Hawk Sport as well. It seems to be the best combination of price and quality. Even if you total it, you could replace the whole chopper for $159, chances are you wouldn't need to. How could you beat that for a starter? And it will take a considerable amount of time to bore you too. I have had no issues with mine, I always check set screws for tightness and basically keep it clean and it has been trouble-free and never crashed. Very easy to maintain the drive trains as well.

I can't say enough about it really other than I'm damn glad I bought it.

ORIGINAL: shades

hey i'am getting a heli sooner or later so i figured why not now so i was wondering what is the cheapest heli that is gas powered? i want somthing that i wont get bored of because this is why i skipped trainers with planes but with helis i dont think there is any other way, so i want a heli that i wont get bored of but for helis there'l all fairly similar when it comes to the classes as in like all trainers are supposed to be easy so i want a good looking heli that is pretty cheap please email me if you have some really good i des or have one for sale
Old 12-02-2003, 01:39 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

I also vote the Hawk Sport for a nice first helicopter. Mine does me just fine Saying that, if I bought a Raptor instead, I'd probably be saying the same thing about it too, but the Sport is cheaper, and so are the crash kits. I've heard great things about both heli's. Also, the Hawk Sport isn't "cheap" in any way. Its just reasonably priced
Joe
Old 12-04-2003, 09:25 PM
heli143
My Feedback: (6)

Ditto what DustOffUH1 said.
I enjoy my Hawk sport, have had no problems with it and it flies great. Yes, the Raptor is a nice bird, but the Hawk Sport is less expensive to buy, and repair.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:02 PM
PhilK

Who sells the sport hawk? Is there an electric model/conversion, or fuel only?

FP or Collective pitch? Where I can find a website/info on it?

thanks! Phil
Old 12-07-2003, 11:19 PM
syclic

Info on Hawk Sport at:

www.centuryheli.com (you can even browse through the manual)

and

www.ronlund.com

and

www.heli-world.com
Old 12-20-2003, 11:43 PM
ChopperMike

I too agree that the Century Hawk Sport is the way to go. An excellent choice for a beginner or experinced pilot.

Stay away from electrics, at least at first. I have a MS Composit Hornet and while I think it may eventually become a welcome addition to my heli stable, it isn't there yet. I've stuck about $100 in upgrades just to get it in the air. Very twitchy to learn on and very fragile.

Regards,

Mike
Old 12-29-2004, 02:25 PM
sniper887

Avoid the small electrics. Take it from me, i tried to learn on a FP hummingbird and couldnt make sense of it. When i got my hawk sport and put training gear on it that's when i actually started to learn. The CP hummingbirds are better though, but still quite a bit different than the .30 size, and in their current form come out of the box underpowered. They have on the way a 3d hummingbird with a gear driven tail instead of the separate motor, and can be bought with a brushless motor if you like.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:58 AM
diamos

Is the Caliber 30 (KYOSHO) better than the RAPTOR 30 V2 (T.TIGER) for a starter?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Balact Man

i to am looking to purchase my first heli. i located an Ergo .32 with gyro system but no radio or servo. its at a very good price. my question is this- should this model be my into into flying?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:51 PM
rander1

deleted by me........
Old 03-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Balact Man

not understanding you AT ALL[&o]
Old 03-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Pimpwerx
My Feedback: (1)

I'll ask the same thing as rander, maybe with less animosity. I keep hearing that the Raptors can do a whole ton of stuff straight out of the box. Upgrading to a Raptor 50 is easy too, but the price ain't all that great. In comparison, the Hawk Sport is nice and cheap, and can supposedly do everything the Raptor can. I don't have to see a video, I just want to know with certainty that it's all it's cracked up to be.

Further, can someone vouch for the Hawk Pro here? I notice that Century helis are generally cheaper in price and claim to have the same quality. The Hawk Pro is basically an upgraded version of the Sport. Does anyone have word on the Pro, and if it's worthwhile to get that instead of a Sport to start off? PEACE.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Balact Man

totally lost x3......... allow me to restate my position. a friend is selling me (if i want it) an Ergo with an O.S. 32 engine, Futaba gyro FP.G 154, and 8ch jr racing radio. i have never flown a day in my life. the fact is it seems like a great deal so i thought i'd go for it. understanding i still need a few things my question is quite simple. shoud this product B a first buy or should i go with something else (even if it means more money). before responding please note.........i know NOTHING about this stuff so no heli war stuff, ok.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:55 PM
rotordoc

The Hawk Sport is a great buy in a trainer heli. It will take you (without any upgrades) well into aerobatics and basic 3D.....and all for only $160.00!!!

Now if you want all out 3D in a 30 size then you can consider the Raptor 50 for a LOT more or go to something even better for less then the Rappy 50. What you may ask - the Century Raven 50. This is really a lot more like a small 60 then a bigger 30. And for less money then a Raptor 50 (a bigger 30).

I liked the Rappy until I tried Century.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Pimpwerx
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rotordoc

The Hawk Sport is a great buy in a trainer heli. It will take you (without any upgrades) well into aerobatics and basic 3D.....and all for only $160.00!!!

Now if you want all out 3D in a 30 size then you can consider the Raptor 50 for a LOT more or go to something even better for less then the Rappy 50. What you may ask - the Century Raven 50. This is really a lot more like a small 60 then a bigger 30. And for less money then a Raptor 50 (a bigger 30).

I liked the Rappy until I tried Century.
That's interesting man. I gotta look for reviews, but I was thinking about the Raven 50, due to the CCPM. I'll be getting a computer radio (Fut 9C or JR 9X), and I've heard nothing but good about CCPM, particularly the Raven's assembly. Is that a good heli to start off with? PEACE.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:40 AM
xanadu_vector
My Feedback: (5)

Yo man the bottom line (from one heli noob to another):

No matter what you get there is something better (hence there is no best), and “cheap” is relative. I thought my $1500 Raptor 30 setup was “cheap”. Some people think their $3000 setups are “cheap”. What you want as a “beginner” is “functional”.

In the middle of the “functional beginner” helicopters lies the 30-50 glow powered range. The Raptor is most popular right now “statistically” and anything else is a matter of opinion. The most important thing is that you purchase something that you can get parts and help for without pulling strings and driving 30 hours.

A good beginner doesn’t buy the cheapest or the most expensive thing out there, shoot for the middle. That way:

1. You’re getting something “functional”
2. If it doesn’t work out you don’t get burned

Trust me man cutting costs in the hobby doesn’t get you in the air any faster, and buying the most expensive stuff results in a lot of “oh man you don’t need that!!”
Old 03-15-2005, 12:04 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Balact Man

totally lost x3......... allow me to restate my position. a friend is selling me (if i want it) an Ergo with an O.S. 32 engine, Futaba gyro FP.G 154, and 8ch jr racing radio. i have never flown a day in my life. the fact is it seems like a great deal so i thought i'd go for it. understanding i still need a few things my question is quite simple. shoud this product B a first buy or should i go with something else (even if it means more money). before responding please note.........i know NOTHING about this stuff so no heli war stuff, ok.

A good buy on this is a relitive term. Its all older tech. The gyro won't be as good in a lot of the newer helis and you didn't say which radio it is, but if it is older, it will be lacking too. Unless it is really cheap, I would stear clear.

The hawk is a good trainer, the raptor 30 is a little better. The raptor right out of the box will do simple 3D stuff. Put glass blades on it and you can do anything. I haven't seen the hawk fly, but I know many that have them and they like them a lot so don't discount that heli. Its a good one. Get a good radio and good gyro and you won't have to replace them for many many years. You can get a used raptor 30 with engine, radio and gyro for under $500 if you look. I have seen them a few times, and sold quite a few for people over the years. Put an ad in the classified wanteds in the sales forums and see what you get for a good used hawk or raptor. Ask questions and ask for detailed pictures before you send them any money though.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:39 PM
syclic

Pimpwirx

I am very impressed with my Raven 50. It is more of a light and agile 50 sized 60 then a larger 30 like most of its competitors. No bling needed. Straight out of the box it has all the quality components most upgrade their helis with: e.g. composite blades, 4mm flybar, all metal swashplate, Constant Drive Tail, stainless steel torque tube, triple bearing tail rotor grips on a strong steel hub. A tail boom long enough to accomodate 615mm mainblades and 95mm tail blades ... and more!

With the new OS Hyper it is a little rocket ship that will do 3D autos with the ease of the big boys

You will love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.