Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

What is the function of mufler ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What is the function of mufler ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 10:16 PM
HeliKing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the function of mufler ?

A lot of discussion in this forum talking about selection of mufler to improve the performace of an engine.

Honestly I got confused.

Because I though we need a mufler nothing more than to keep the noise down. But now I am sure that it does much more than that.

Please allow me to ask these questions :
1. How does mufler work to achieve top performance of an engine ?
2. What are the selection criteria to find a good mufler ?

Thanks a lot [8D]
Old 01-14-2004, 10:38 PM
ChopperMike

Default RE: What is the function of mufler ?

A muffler is not only necessary to keep noise down. A 2 stroke engine like we commonly use with our heli's won't run worth a damn without one. In a 2 stroke engine the fuel/air mix first goes into the crankcase, then up through transfer ports into the combustion chamber. Without a muffler a good portion of it would go right out the exhaust port. The back pressure from the muffler is what stops this from happening. A "tuned pipe" or "tuned muffler" is one that is optimized for a particular operating condition and gives a substantial increase over a standard muffler.

If you don't need the extra power, any good muffler designed for your heli will do. If you are looking for a little extra power, contact whoever you intend to buy from and tell what heli and engine you have and they can recommend one.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 01-15-2004, 02:20 AM
HeliKing

ChopperMike,

It was help me a lot, thanks.

A "tuned pipe" or "tuned muffler" is one that is optimized for a particular operating condition and gives a substantial increase over a standard muffler.
What is "tuned pipe" or "tuned muffler" ? any abvious physical different we can see compare to the standard one ?

Again, Thanks in advance
Old 01-15-2004, 05:53 AM
Charlie

What is "tuned pipe" or "tuned muffler
They are upgrade pipes that are designed to make power and get maximum performance out of you motor. If you are just learning to fly, don't worry about getting maximum performance out of your motor, spend your money on fuel and learn to fly. Once you progress with your flying and move into 3D flying, then maybe look a getting a tuned pipe/muffler. A beginner won't notice much of a difference, and more then likely have nothing but problems, some tuned pipes/muffler can be a pain to get setup right (if you are a beginner).
Old 01-15-2004, 07:18 AM
ChopperMike

Good point. Focus on learning and save the upgrades for later.

Regards,

Mike
Old 01-15-2004, 12:34 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChopperMike

Good point. Focus on learning and save the upgrades for later.
Well said. You don't need to be trying to figure out how the upgrades work while you are trying to learn a new heli.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Freff

One other point to that is, in my case anyway, was the heli was giving me quite a headache whilst learning to hover. I installed a Zimmerman which lelped enormously and wasn't so easily fatigued.

Freff