Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Radio Gear Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 02:10 PM
nitroflyguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Gear Question

Could someone please enlighten me as to what Mode1 and Mode2 mean in terms of the radio system, i saw in the advertisement for a JR radio it said FM Heli MD! then another said the same thing but MD2 what does that mean?
Old 01-19-2004, 02:56 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Radio Gear Question

Mode 2 is throttle and rudder on the left stick, aileron and elevator on the right stick

Mode 1 is elevator and rudder on the left stick, throttle and aileron on the right stick

Mode 2 is most common in the USA and seem Mode 1 is more common in Europe

DEG
Old 01-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Mikey G

ORIGINAL: iflyrc24

Mode 2 is throttle and rudder on the left stick, aileron and elevator on the right stick

Mode 1 is elevator and rudder on the left stick, throttle and aileron on the right stick

Mode 2 is most common in the USA and seem Mode 1 is more common in Europe

DEG
Well we have throttle and rudder on left stick over here

Mode 1 as you describe seems a very odd setup! thought you may have a choice of throttle/rudder on left or right stick but never mix the rudder and elevator on same stick.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:35 AM
nitroflyguy

ok so i can mix throttle/collective/rudder left anf roll/yaw right stick? that is what feels natural to me i would imagine i could seeing as its a matter of plugging the servo into the correct channel right?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Super-Hornet

Hi all

For me, Mode 1 and Mode 2 is like Right side or Left side driving steering in a car. In U.S. the Steering is on the left while in most asian country, the stearing is on the right.

BTW... Mode 1 are usually seeing in Asian country also.

Super-Hornet
Old 01-20-2004, 01:32 AM
Iceman1979
My Feedback: (17)

Mode 2 is most common now days and easier I think.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:10 PM
wisdom-seeker

Mode 2 has been around for a long time. It was common when I learned to fly R/C planes in 1972. When you think about it, mode 2 is most like the setup you find in a real plane. The right stick controls aileron and elevator, just like the main stick in a real plane, which is also normally controlled with the right hand.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:52 AM
FHHuber
Banned

The Mode1/Mode2 designation comes from early days of R/C

Initial R/C proportional systems had 1 stick (rudder... a really good one had elevator too.) The pilots learned to fly on the rudder.

As channels got added, the rudder was left on the right stick, and the ailerons got put on the left. (because it was the new function on the new stick)

Someone got the bright idea of simulating a piper cub joystick by putting te aileron and elevator on the right stick... and the Mode1 and Mode2 designations were born.

There are Mode3 and Mode 4... but you don't hear about them. Lefthanded, Mode 3 is Rudder/elevator left stick, throttle/aileron right. Mode 4 is aileron/Elevator left, throttle/rudder right. These are generally not used... but you CAN do it.) You move the throttle ratchet to the right stick and the spring centering to the left.
(to keep buddy box compatibilty... you can actually move the potentiometers from stick to stick so the right handed instructor can work with the lefthanded student. This maintains the channel numbers the same on both boxes.)