Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Engine prolbems

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 04:49 PM
bryan6878

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine prolbems

I have a JR Venture Cp with a weber motor. When i start it up it runs fine as I began to lift off the ground it begins to bog down. I can land it and it will plane out . As I take off again it will repeat it self. Can any tell me what i need to do?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Charlie

Default RE: Engine prolbems

It sounds like you have way to much pitch at half stick or your way to rich. Do you have a pitch gauge? What is you pitch at half stick?
Old 01-22-2004, 08:39 PM
bryan6878

I am not sure i just got into flying but will defintly have it checked thanks
Old 01-23-2004, 12:00 PM
wisdom-seeker

If you haven't got a pitch guage, you need to buy or borrow one. Your heli must be correctly set up prior to your next lift-off. This is not the kind of thing that you leave to "guess and by gosh". An uncorrectly set up heli is a positive menace, and an accident waiting to happen. If I sound preachy, it is because R/C helis are not toys and they can cause death or serious injury if they get out of control. []
Old 01-23-2004, 04:14 PM
bryan6878

When I purchased it the Hobby shop set it up and made sure it was fit to fly. That was approx. 3 weeks ago. How often should i check the pitch. I spoke with the store and they said it sounds like the heli is over heating and recommended i extend the fan shroud by using balsa to fit around the head of the motor. If you were looking at the motor the end of the fan shroud just barley makes it to motor.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Charlie

Before you get into building a shroud, open your high speed needle up about 3 or 4 clicks, that should solve your problem (if it is getting hot). You still should check your pitch to make sure it is right (who's to say they set it up right). If you don't have a pitch gauge, get one, you will need it sooner or later.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:25 AM
ausheli

I agree with Cahrlie it sounds like its running lean which will also cause it to overheat, just richen it up a bit as per charlies directions, also read the engine manual to see where it recommends as a starting point for needle settings
Old 01-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Oud31

I agree with the others. I'm familiar with the heli, engine combination,and you had better get some help with this one. The Webra 35 is a good engine but it is a pain in the butt to break in, and if your not careful and you run it lean like I did you will have a 115$ paper weight. One other thing you also might want to check into on you heli is the ball bearing pitch slider on the tail, the stock has caused me alot of grief because of all of the slop.
Steve
Old 01-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Nitro car guys usually use a thermometer to tune thier engines. You can get a good IR thermometer for 25-30$. Try Tower hobbies or your local car shop. shoot for 200 - 220 measured on the cylinder.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:58 PM
bryan6878

Tahnks for the help i will try to get this sloved so i can get back to flying