Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

401 GYRO

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 01:17 AM
sideshowdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 401 GYRO

I HAVE A HAWK SPORT WITH A FUTABA 401 GYRO AND A FUTABA S9253 SERVO.
WHILE FLYING IT FOR THE PAST SIX MONTHS EVERYTHING HAS BEEN SET AND IN FINE OPERATING CONDITION.
UNTIL LAST WEEK WHEN THE GYRO STOPPED HOLDING. AND STARTED LETTING THE HAWK DO 360S.
I CAN'T SEEM TO RESET OR MAKE IT WORK.
I DON'T KNOW WHY THE GYRO SHOULD STOP WORKING IN THE MIDDLE OF A SESSION.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:58 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 401 GYRO

Are you sure it is the gyro? There are a few things that could cause this. Is the pirouette always the same way? If so, which way? Could be a slipping drive belt or tail drive problem.

There is a thread somewhere about the 401. There was some talk about problems with the gyro and failure to hold heading was one of the things indicating the problem. Try searching and see if you can find it.

Incidentally, my heli started having tail 'kicks' recently. I tried tightening the tail belt but it was still there. I then pre-flighted my model and had no tail control at all. It turns out that my servo (a 9250) had an open circuit motor and had to be scrapped. Unfortunately these high precision and expensive servos do not appear to last very long. I would try a new servo and see if this helps. If not, I would get someone to look at your gyro.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:14 AM
vcp

YOU SHOULD CHECK IF THE GYRO SENSOR IS WORKING , ON YOUR PRE-FLIGHT CHECK TURN YOUR HELI WITH RADIO AND HELI TURN ON THE 401 LET YOU KNOW IF CORRECTING TORQUE, FOR HEADING HOLD THE RED LED HAVE TO BE LITE ON, CHECK YOUR RADIO GAIN(70%)
Old 01-24-2004, 12:00 AM
sideshowdon

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. I WILL CHECK THE TORQUE ROD AND SERVO TOO.
I CALLED FUTABA TODAY AND THEY SAID " SEND IT IN FOR REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT. IT'S STILL UNDER WARRANTY."
IT'S AMAZING. JUST WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR HELICOPTER DIALED IN JUST RIGHT SOMETHING ELSE HAPPENS.