Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

adjusting trims and servos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

adjusting trims and servos

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 01:58 PM
swee7an

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting trims and servos

hello,

i wanna first thank the people in this forum who helped me put my heli together.

now, i got used to flying the heli in the sim. a little bit, i can make a circle and get the heli back and land it.

today's morning, i took my heli to the soccer field started it...

i raised the throttle (the rpm increasd) to about the half but the heli didn't get up !

also i noticed that the blades where tilted forward to the right little bit.

i increased the throttle even more and finally the heli got up but went backwords i think then i decreased the throttle becasue everything happened very fast.

i broke the training kit (just 2 stick were broken) THANKS GOD nothing happened to the heli LOL.

and now i have few Q.

1) how can i adjust the servos and trims to the nearest stable position? (i am using EMS)
2) how can i fix the training kit ?
3) how can i clean the heli from the oil that came out of the muffler ? ( i wiped it out, but there still some oil that can't be wiped)

* if you need a pic of the servos, let me know ...

thanks in advance
Old 01-24-2004, 04:56 PM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

Default RE: adjusting trims and servos

first make sure all controls are level by adjusting the linkages on the heli before you fly again,
not much trim should be needed if all linkages are level,
as for the training gear you may need to buy new ones,
the oil is always messy,try using a exhaust deflecter away fro the heli.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:17 PM
swee7an

thank you scott,

the problem is with the pitch servo/arm , i think the swash plate should be something less than 0 degree when the throttle is in idle and around 10 degrees when full throttle, i'll fix this problem and try to fly it again tom.

the problem is that i don't know anyone around here who knows about heli's. anyway i'll try my best not to crach my heli
Old 01-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Charlie

i think the swash plate should be something less than 0 degree when the throttle is in idle
In normal mod you want about -2 or -3 on the bottom. At 0 degrees, if there is any wind at all you may have a hard time getting it back on the ground (it doesn't take much).

10 degrees when full throttle
What do you have for a heli? If it is a 30 size, you only won't a +9 on the top, if it is a 50 size then a +10 is fine.

Unless you are very lucky and get your linkage set right when building the heli, you will have to hover (or get it light on the skids) so you can trim it out. Set your linkage as close as you can get them on the ground (by the book, which is never right), then do your final trim at the field. As for your training gear, just go to your local hardware store and get two wooden dowels.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:43 PM
swee7an

thanks Charlie for the reply,

i have caliber 30 , when i bought the heli, all the linkages where put up togather with the head/roter (or whatever thier names are) so i just had to connect them to the servos and connect the main blades and thats it

the heli has and arm called "Radius Arm" i guess and it has three lines, in the manual it says :

*the lower line: Low pitch approx. 0 degree
*the middle line: Hovering pitch approx. 6 degrees
*the upper line: Hi pitch approx. 10 degrees

at the lowest throttle, if i set swash plate to -2 degrees, when i give it full throttle the swash plate exceeds the 10 degrees line! and it starts bending the piece that holds the servos, so i guess that i have to limit the servos movement

i'll just play around with it till i get it right
Old 01-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

It is possible to get it all going by yourself, but everyone who has done it will tell you it is worth the time to find someone to help. Even if you have to drive a couple hours, it is time well spent.

There are more than a hundred helipilots in your state who have registered here:

http://www.p-locate.rc-helipad.com/

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2004, 01:51 AM
Hotshot Charlie

Knowledgeable help is esential. I just got back from a very accomplished 3D flyer's home. We set up my Raptor 30 and I am now ready for the first flight. If it hadn't started raining, that would have been accomplished today.

Personal, hands-on experience is wonderful. My instructer helped me today tremendously. Without his help, my investment would have been a pile of plastic if I had tried to fly it before his inspection.

Get help and have fun !
Old 01-25-2004, 04:02 AM
ChiefG

Can't stress enough how important it is to find someone knowledgeable to check your settings both the helo and the radio. I followed the instructions to the tee when building my Raptor 50 and double check everything but still not enough, you have to get someone who knows how to check everything. A big difference when learning from the book and from experience,hands-on training. Almost gone thru with a gallon of fuel and she's still flying great after it has been set up by an experienced pilot.

Also I'm going back to practicing with the sims this time with a little wind effect in the settings I found out I'm having a hard time hovering while flying my Raptor in the wind. I learned to hover in the sims without any wind effects, not good when it comes to the real thing. I had one close call ( love the andrenalin rush)[X(] landed real hard and broke the training gear but helo is fine. After building another set of training gear I'm back in the air. I guess I got over confident and started forward flight where I should be mastering hovering and landing gently.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Charlie

at the lowest throttle, if i set swash plate to -2 degrees, when i give it full throttle the swash plate exceeds the 10 degrees line! and it starts bending the piece that holds the servos, so i guess that i have to limit the servos movem
Does your radio have pitch curves? You use your pitch curves to set the pitch you want. Like the other guy's said, you really should find someone to help you get this thing setup right, it will save you a lot of time and money. If your heli is not setup right it can be a real nightmare to l fly.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:06 AM
swee7an

thank you Spaceman Spiff for the link, i e-mailed a guy who is in my city and waiting for his reply

and thanks guys for the advice, i won't fly it till i meet this guy.

yesterday when i was at the soccer field, i put the heli about 7-10 meters away from me and i hided behind the fence

next time i'll be with a trainer hopefully
Old 02-05-2004, 12:25 PM
1arm1leg

Try W D 40. It is sometimes good at penitrating other oils as well as stuck parts. I have used it to clean oil off before. Just remember as with anything like this test a small area first to make sure it won't do any damage.