Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

which to get

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 06:34 PM
d71889b
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which to get

i was thinking of getting a nitro helicopter and would like to know of any good beginner ones under $400
Old 01-26-2004, 07:27 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: which to get

nitro + under $400 = you did mean without the radio didn't you?

Heli kit $160 or more ( Century Hawk is right at $160 and is good)
Engine $140
Gyro $75
Radio system $250
Accessories and field support (includes some fuel) $150
Old 01-26-2004, 09:21 PM
d71889b

wow thats pretty expensive[]
Old 01-26-2004, 09:31 PM
lawnhawk

Yup. You're not gonna get in the door with less than 600 bones unless you buy used, and even that can far exceed 600.

I bought the Hawk Arf Combo, everything to get you off the ground minus starting equipment, it's a great deal on a rock-solid chopper as far as I'm concerned.

Here ya go, check it out: http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...port/index.htm
Old 01-27-2004, 01:11 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Get the adapter shaft to go from the electric starter to the heli at the same time. Century has oe available for about $20. most others cost $35 to $45. ($55 at some hobby shops for the ONLY one they will carry)

I advise getting the upgrade fan for the Hawk (part number CN2202 ) or at least getting a spare stock one. The stock one is a glassfilled nylon and can be easilly broken when tightening the engine's crankshaft bolt to hold it on. The upgrade is CNC aluminum and has an improved fin design which will cool the engine better.

(I'm missing 2 blades on my stock fan... grounded till a new fan comes.)
Old 01-27-2004, 04:03 PM
d71889b

thanks
Old 01-27-2004, 05:37 PM
ChopperMike

The other thing you have to consider is cost of repairs, there WILL be repairs. A simulator will help and there is a free one, FMS (Flying Model Simulator) can be downloaded for free and it's actually pretty good. You can make or buy a cable to connect your transmitter to your computer. Without a sim there will be more crashes.

I'm not trying to scare you off, just realize that helicopters are one of the more expensive R/C expereinces.

Regards,

Mike
Old 01-28-2004, 01:23 AM
FHHuber
Banned

You can buy (or make) a WIDE landing gear adapter to help reduce the chance of damage when learning to hover. (its pretty useless when yo get to flying around)

Crash kits are usually less expensive than buying the parts individually. Century's crash kit has a better flybar in it than the one in the Hawk Sport kit. (the added slots in the kit's flybar make it weaker... and mine had burs on those slots... which were a real pain. the extra slots really are not needed.)

A good insturctor is your #1 insurance against having a LOT of repair costs. The instructor can trim the heli to fly correctly... a student has enough trouble with a trimmed heli much less triming it and learning to fly at the same time.

Helis can get in trouble to fast for a buddy box system to save it... keep the thing 30 to 60 ft away when learning to hover and if yo get in trouble... kill throttle (and collective) its better to break the heli than have it hit you or someone else. (which would break the heli anyway.)
Old 01-28-2004, 05:12 PM
d71889b

thanks
Old 01-30-2004, 09:40 AM
grittykitty

I just got into heli's last year:

-Raptor 50 v2 w/ TT50 - $475
-GY401 w/ 9253 servo - $175
-4 x 9252 servos - $220
-GV-1 (nice to have) - $125
-2700mah 4.8v NiMh - $28
-8ch receiver - $80
-Misc. electronics (HD switch harness,
Air Alert, Voltwatch, remote glow) - $55
-Tools (ball link pliers, pitch guage,
K&S blade balancer, DuBro high point
balancer) - $100
________
= Don't let the wife see this post!!!!!!![:@] ($1258)

And this is without the radio. I already have a Futaba 9C for the planks.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:05 PM
ChopperMike

Are you TRYING to scare off the new guy?
Old 01-30-2004, 10:36 PM
grittykitty

Sorry No, I am not.
I believe somebody's signature reads "I'm not a pessimist, just a realistic optimist". This is by far one of the most expensive hobbies I have ever had the pleasure to pursue, now that I have the means to. Granted, some of the stuff I have is not necessary for a beginner (i.e. - GV-1, digital servos, 9 channel computer radio, etc.). But, much to my wife's dismay, when I get into something, I never do it on the cheap. Flying R/C has fascinated me ever since I was young, but never could until now, so I kind of indulge. I fly with a great group of guys, I don't sit around watching sports & drinking beer, and I have definitely found a lifelong hobby. [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 01-31-2004, 12:05 AM
ChopperMike

No doubt about it, heli's are one of the most expensive aspects of R/C and it's not a good idea to low ball it.

BTW, how do you like your Raptor 50. I'm looking to get a bigger heli to compliment my Hawk Sport and am looking at, among others, a Raptor 50 or even a Raptor 60. Not really interested
in 3D, just a good solid flyer.

Regards,

Mike
Old 01-31-2004, 12:33 AM
grittykitty

I love the rappy 50 v2. It's got awesome power, even with the TT50. My instructor (well, friend now....but he'll always be the "sensei" ) has the OS50 in his, and it does have a little more power than mine, but also drinks the go-juice considerably faster. Both of us use CoolPower 30% (with the header tanks), and I tend to get an additional 2 to 5 minutes of flight time, depending on how hard I am on the controls.
The 50 is really just the 30 with some beefier hardware, longer boom, blades, etc, and with the extra power of the 50, it handles wonderfully. Like I said above, I've flown his caliber 30, and tried the raptor 30, and I was immediately satisfied with my decision to get the 50. It takes a bit more breeze to knock around, hovers like a rock when the breeze is gentle, is very steady to fly around, and with the great power-to-weight ratio, I think it would be an excellent candidate for a scale body (hmmm...do I sense a second heli in my near future???).
Old 01-31-2004, 01:09 AM
FHHuber
Banned

My startup in R/C Helis: (2nd go round... tried em in the early 80's)

Century Hawk $149
Blue Bird .28 (E-bay) $20 (error... Danger... Danger Will Robinson! [:'(])
O.S. .32 $75 (used but I knew the guy well and its good)
Hobbico Peizo Gyro free (dummy didn't know he'd been mounting it upside down... no wonder it didn't work)
Hand-me-down training gear Free
Crash Kit $$49 ( [8D]still unused [8D] )

I had the Futaba Super 7 and LOTS of servos already.

I had all the field support stuff except a starter adapter for helis... still borrowing the instructor's (cause I can't seem to get past hover... )

Oh... I can take off and then fly the thing around once its moving... Can't get it OUT of forward flight, back into hover so I can land it...

Thank God for instructors with PATIENCE!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Stuck-N-Da-Mud
My Feedback: (14)

JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST. RAPTOR 30. IN OUTSTANDING CONDITION[sm=thumbup.gif].BIRD,FIELD GEAR, FUEL, CRASH KIT ,HELI CAME WITH RADIO GEAR & AND ALREADY HAD ECLIPSE 7 QPCM I BOUGHT WITH MY HB BUT ADD THAT ALL UP GUESS I GOT ABOUT 900.00 +, GUESS IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO HOW MUCH YOU WAN'T TO PAY TO PLAY.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Stuck-N-Da-Mud
My Feedback: (14)

ASLO FORGOT SIMULATOR IF YOU NEVER FLOWN HELI WOULD BE GOOD INVESTMENT I FLEW FIX WING BEFORE BUT THESE BIRDS ARE A BIT TRICKY COULD NOT BEGIN TO COUNT WHAT I SAVED CRASHING THE REAL THING VERSE,S CRASHING ON SIM WELL WORTH THE $200. FOR SIM. THATS NOW A GRAND TOTAL OF ABOUT $1,000.00