Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

What kind of Tx should I get to fly a cp head

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What kind of Tx should I get to fly a cp head

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 03:29 PM
micronut154

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of Tx should I get to fly a cp head

I am new to the heli world and am just trying to figure somethings out. I will be getting my Aerohawk any day now and I know that it is a fixed pitch but when I get good at flying I am going to want to get something better. I have been loking at the Hitec Eclipse 7. What do all of the terms mean?
Dual rates, exponential rates, shift select, and how can you tell if the Tx has ccpm mixing. I know this one does but that is just because it has a heli mode but what do you look for if it doesn't say heli?
Also, on recivers what does single conversion mean? Is there a double conversion? What kind of radio equipment do I need to run a decent heli? Anybody know about the Vg6000? Is it any good? Will it even run a cp heli?[sm=drowning.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-29-2004, 04:58 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: What kind of Tx should I get to fly a cp head

You can program in CCPM with even a 12-15 yr old Futaba Super-7... takes some playing with the programmable mixes, but it can be done. (the new 120 deg swashplates hadn't even been thought of when this TX was made...)

That said. the instruction manuals for mst radios can be downloaded. You can read the mix capabilities and KNOW what you are getting into. (very helpful when choosing your TX to know what it can do) To my knowledge, all the modern 6 ch or better computer radios (not counting Hitech Flash series...) can do just about any mix you need.

The Futaba "airplane" radios have the Heli mixes as secondary functions.. the Heli radios have aircraft mixes as secondary... they just swap which it defaults to when you clear all the pre-programmed models. (essentially no difference 6XA or 6XH)
Old 01-29-2004, 05:24 PM
micronut154

Thanks for the help FHHuber. Much appriciated.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:02 PM
wisdom-seeker

What do all of the terms mean? Dual rates, exponential rates,
Dual rates: With this you can switch between normal and less sensitive for the control sticks. The disadvantage is that in the less sensitive mode, you may not have full control throw, or you may not get enough throw to bail yourself out of a difficult situation.

Exponential: With this you can decrease or increase the sensitivity of the first 50% or so of stick throw. The advantage here is that if you move the stick to the stop, you get 100% of your control throw no matter what the sensitivity is set to. When exponential is set to less sensitive, you get really fine control with small stick movements, but full control with large stick movements.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:20 PM
micronut154

Thanks for shedding some light on this so far very dark world of helis. Much appriciated