Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heading Hold Gyro vs FMC COPilot

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heading Hold Gyro vs FMC COPilot

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 10:44 PM
quad
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heading Hold Gyro vs FMC COPilot

Being new to helis I have a ton of questions. I really appreciate the advice given here and want you to know it helps alot. Now to my question: I plan to buy either a heading hold gyro or an FMC copilot for my Ergo 46 heli. Which is better for the beginner and why is it better?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89898.gif
Views:	18
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	95818  
Old 01-30-2004, 11:17 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Heading Hold Gyro vs FMC COPilot

If its an Either-Or choice... get the gyro EVERY time. The Gyro and the auto-pilot do completely different things. (sort of...)

The gyro helps you with being able to keep the heli from spinning around the main rotor shaft. This is VERY important for a beginner. (and for most experts...) You can fly a heli with no gyro... but you most certainly won't like it.

The autopilot helps keep the heli (or airplane) level. on the heli it is hooked to the cyclic pitch controls, and it will automaticly try to keep the thing EITHER upright or inverted. (it can't tell up from down...) It will seek level in pitch and roll axis the quickest way it can, and if invverted is quicker than upright, you will find the heli is inverted (and headed down like a rocket...)

USUALLY the Auto-pilot will help... ALWAYS the Gyro will help.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:47 PM
quad

Thanks, that was a very clear and to the point explanation. I was trying to convience myself that the copilot would control 2 axis whereas the gyro only controls one. I plan to buy one or the other and now I think I will buy the gyro.

Now for my next question. Which gyro to use with my futaba radio? I am under the impression that the different brands will work with any radio. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for the information.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:06 AM
Charlie

You can use any gyro with your radio. There are a lot of good gyro's on the market today, it all comes down to how mush money you want to spend. If your looking for a good cheap gyro, I would recommend the CSM (HLG200), but if you want something a little more advanced, I would go with the Futaba 401/9253. The 401 is the most common gyro use today, a lot of people use them, it's probably the best bang for your buck. Like I said, it all depends on how much money you want to spend, you can get real fancy if you want, but I wouldn't recommend that for a beginner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65617.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	95904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36696.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	95905  
Old 01-31-2004, 03:09 PM
FHHuber
Banned

You do get what you pay for when you buy a gyro.

The $45 or $50 Hobbico Peizo will work... but it just helps stabilize the thing and that is it. it won't prevent the model from spinning around the mainshaft... it just slows down the rate it gets into spinning. (often enough help for a beginner though)

The high end gyros wll darn near stir your coffee for you
Old 01-31-2004, 04:08 PM
quad

Someone sent me a private note that seemed to bring up a good idea. They suggested that I should employ a HH gyro to control the spin and to use a copilot to keep the heli level. It seems their logic is sound and should greatly reduct a beginner's chance for error. I fully understand errors will happen dispite all the steps you go through to prevent them. What do you think about that idea?

Thanks for all of your comments. They are most helpful.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Graeme
My Feedback: (5)

Naturally, you've gotten some excellent advice in the responses above.

I'd also suggest you take the advice of the PM you received: use both.

You'll always want to have a gyroscope, but the Co-Pilot is about the second-best training aid you can install. It does work on two axes: cyclic roll and pitch, (elevator and aileron), but its gain can be turned down as you get used to controlling your heli. Eventually, you may even want to remove it.

Yes, "stuff" happens, especially when you're learning - but, hopefully, being inadvertently inverted isn't going to be one of 'em!