Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 10:51 PM
StrateJaket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Charger

I was just wondering what is a good charger to get for my transmitter, and reciever? Also where is the best place to get it ? I have a Futaba radio and servos. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-31-2004, 12:12 AM
ChopperMike

Default RE: Battery Charger

My opinion, get a Hobbico Quick Charger MK II. It has 2 outputs, either of which will charge .2A to 2 amps, NiCad NiMH or Lithium. If you ever decide to get into park flyers (fixed wing) it's an excellent charger for them too.

Regards,

Mike
Old 01-31-2004, 07:40 AM
Charlie

I use the Cirrus cycle pro. This is a great charger/cycler and it works on AC/DC so you can use it as a field charger to. You can cycle your battery's to keep them in good shape and make them last a lot longer.The only down fall is, it is no good for Lithium battery's. There are a lot of good chargers out there, you just have to do your home work, and find out which one is good for you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33828.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	95903  
Old 01-31-2004, 08:09 AM
lawnhawk

I am happy with the Great Planes Triton charger. It covers just about any cell type you'd use in this hobby, and has a great current range .1 to 5 amps.

It's not an AC charger, but the voltage from power supplies inside AC chargers is not nearly as consistent as that of external DC power supplies either. Chargers running on AC have a slightly higher chance of false-peak due to power fluctuation.

Like everything else, it's a matter of preference and application. This Triton rocks!
Old 01-31-2004, 03:15 PM
FHHuber
Banned

A "good" charger.... well the one that came with the radios is just fine. They can do all you NEED.

A field charger... the Hobbico inexpensive one is all that is needed for field charging... and will work for years.

A cycler, you get what you pay for. more $$$ = more functions and more types of batteries that it can deal with.

Whats the budget and whats the level of your flying? The neat machine with all the bells and whistles is a waste to the guy that just flies a couple of tanks out oe or two Sudays a month. A guy that is into 3D competition and burning up to 2 gallons per flying session needs GOOD equipment and should have one of the best field chargers and one of the best cyclers.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:47 PM
grittykitty

As stated here, it depends on what you have, and what you intend to do. If you just have one bird that flies once a week, the "wall wart" will do just fine. On the other end of the scale, if you have a lot of models (or intend to), a good charger/discharger/cycler is going to become a necessity. I have a heli, 3 planes, a nitro truck, an electric truck, a nitro car, and an electric boat, so I have a Triton and a Super Brain 959 to manage my fleet's batteries.