Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Sup All !

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 03:34 PM
pnk
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sup All !

Hey guys,
I'm an avid aeromodeller, but have never had a chance to learn to build or even learn to fly a model helicopter. I know that it's not as easy as it looks and have been told so by many. Plus I am an aerospace engineering major and am going to working on a project that would need to be mounted on an aircraft with hover capability. Before I start designing all of this though I was advised to get some experience with model helicopters which i've been wanting to do forever. However I'm not going to get any funding for that yet. So any advice would be great.....good, cheap, beginner heli, tips.. . Thanks for your time.

P.S: It's exciting to read other ppl's first flight's and stuff......pretty cool, can't wait to try it out
Old 02-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Hotshot Charlie

Default RE: Sup All !

First step in learning to fly a heli, get a simulator. Realflight G2 is very good, but there are others that are cheaper. I have the G2 and can only attest to it. I have flown RC planes (planks) for years, but just got into heli's. It is a new ballgame, but somethings do carry over, mainly aircraft orientation. The heli just adds so much more to the RC experience. You will see when you get started.

Now after you have got your sim, you need a heli. Two choices that I have seen recommended on this and other web sites are: Century Hawk Sport and Thunder Tiger Raptor, in 30 or 50 size. The Hawk Sport is the cheapest way to go. I have a Raptor 30 and it flies great and replacement parts are lower cost than other models. I don't know much about the Hawk Sport, so someone else may pick up on that.

Radio will need to be at least 6 channels and be heli compatable. JR 6102 or JR 8103 are good choices, also the Futaba 9C. There are others, but again, I can't tell you much.

There is a lot more, but maybe I got the ball rolling and I am sure you will get many more posts helping you.
Good luck and have fun ! Remember, the sim is a must ! It will cost you $200, but it will save you countless $$$$$ !
Old 02-03-2004, 10:31 PM
pnk
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Bud, appreciate the advice and I'll definitely look into getting hold of a sim program or a hobby shop or a club somewhere here. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:20 PM
R Rocks

What about a Zepplin!!!! Helicopter hits the ground get out the Visa, Zepplin hits the ground get out the tape. The helicopter is IMHO to have a lot of fun with away from most anything.