Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

can i fly a rapter 50

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 01:00 PM
phil 844

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i fly a rapter 50

can i fly a rapter if i can fly a ecco piccolo fun fly
Old 02-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: can i fly a rapter 50

Yup, but beware it is very different. might be a good idea to get training gear and begin like you are starting over.

i had an interesting experience last weekend. A guy who flies Helis for the Border Patroll just started RC helis. I helped him get started in RC and in turn he let me fly a real heli. (it was verry cool!) His real heli experience helped him out a lot, he picked it up pretty quickly, but it still was a struggle to get used to the model. I had the same trouble learning to fly the Real Heli (eurocopter BG3 ?) the skill set is there, its just a matter of getting used to the different dymanics of the bird.

I haven't flown a piccolo, but i have flown a corona, same skills, but different enough that you do want to be extra cautious.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:51 PM
phil 844

thanks for that info ,i thought it might be a bit easyer than a lighter bird such as the piccolo
Old 02-07-2004, 04:00 PM
dlaque

Do you fly a Piccolo fun??? I started with a fixed pitch Eco Piccolo, was a handful !! After a few months i was able to hover and fly around in my parlor which is 10' * 12'. I spent more money on it then i have into my raptor !!!! Brushless motor and a host of upgrades including li-poly cells.

Can you fly a Raptor 50, yes you can but youll have to learn about how a collective pitch helicopter works, as far as your ability to control it im sure it will be a breeze compared to the fun piccolo !!!

Good luck.

David

P.S. im writing this in between tanks of fuel on my raptor 30, its maiden flight was today!!!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 04:15 PM
phil 844

i learnt to fly the piccolo fun fixed pitch in my kitchen six foot square, becouse every time i tried to fly it outside i would crash it , i have not got a rapter yet but i would like one
Old 02-07-2004, 04:26 PM
phil 844

hi dave hope your rapter flies ok,did you learn yourself to fly like me and is the rapter easyer to fly than the piccolo
Old 02-07-2004, 05:03 PM
dlaque

Yes i learned to fly "on my own", but i had an enormous amount of help and support from the people on the Ikarus BBS !!!

Get a Raptor, its the next logical step, who knows maybe someday a turbine Vario !!!!

Good luck to you, you wont go wrong with the Raptor, mine flies beautifully!!!!!!

David
Old 02-14-2004, 09:22 AM
helinut29

Yes you can, but you will need training gear mainly to build confidence in your stick controls. I would not suggest jumping into a 50size machine if its your first gas heli. You can get a Raptor 30V-2 and when you get really good at it can be upgraded to a to a 50 size heli very easily, We use the 50's mainly for 3D flying but the 30 size heli still has plenty of kick and Thunder Tiger makes a great 30 probably the best.Raptors have built a great reputation for having a stable, low cost,great flying machines. I still use my raptor 32 mainly to practice 3d flying. So the answer is 50's are great 30 size should suit you just fine less money.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:21 PM
ChopperMike

Well, absolutely not! Just kidding. Actually, if you can fly the Piccolo, the Raptor will be much easier. The big differences will be: Setup and the fact that the Raptor will not survive crashes with little or no damage like your Piccolo will.

Properly set up the Raptor will be much more stabe and more visible. I would, as suggested, put training gear on it and begine as if you were just starting out. The collective pitch will make it easier to fly. Collective pitch will give you much quicker response on the stick than fixed pitch does.

Good luck'

Mike