Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

tailt rotor setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 06:26 PM
super"dave"kendall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tailt rotor setup

ive recently pick up an older heli a kalt baron 30 i figured it would be a good first time use to get started with.it was really cheap so i could pass it up.what i dont know is how to setup the tail rotor as to the initial pitch to allow the heli to hover without the gyro in operation so i can setup the revolution mix in accordance with the transmitter instructions i'm using a jr x-388s transmitter that has all types of functions but the heli has no instruction manual to assist me in this endevor.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: tailt rotor setup

what Gyro do you have? If the gyro has heading hold function you can not use the revo mixing anyway.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:55 PM
super"dave"kendall

there is no gyro installed as yet i need to know how to set the tail rotor pitch first
Old 02-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

I am not familiar with the Kalt, but no doubt it has a lot in comon with other helis.

the main rotor spins CW, so the engine puts a torque on the body that tries to spin the body CCW, so the tail must push back to fight that torque. (the tial tries to push the tail to the left) Most helis have antisipated that prety well so you jst set the linkages to 90 degrees and the tail rotor will end up wit 3 or 4 degrees of right thrust. that is a good place to start. If you are using a heading hold gyro (and you should) all you do from that point is simply set your limits and gain and go fly.

If you insist on doing it the old fasioned way, you run the head speed up (training gear on) and see what way the tail tries to spin and you you fight it with the rudder till you know about how much right or left rudder to add to balance out. same thing with the revo mix. once you are good at flying around you move the throttle up and down and see what the heli does and corect for it using the revo mix. simple trial and error (mostly error)

Helis are fabulous, but getting started is a real pain. finding someone to help you thru the set up and first few flight attempts is highly recomended. most heli guys remember what it was like to be a beginner and are pretty cool so they are willing to help.

chances are good you can find someone here:

http://www.p-locate.rc-helipad.com/
Old 02-14-2004, 10:36 PM
FHHuber
Banned

A good starting oint for the tail pitch:

plug the tailrotor servo into an RX for a non-computer radio's rudder channel. Set the trim to full left. Adjust the linkage such that at that setting, the pitch is nearly flat. Put the trim back to center. You now have what should be in ballpark for correct hover tail pitch.

I had a Baron 30 in the mid 80's.... If I rememnber, it has main blades with an asymetrical airfoil.... not intended to ever fly inverted. (may have been an updated version put out that could do inverted... I didn't keep up with helis for a long time after I wrecked the Baron)