Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Best heli to start with??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Best heli to start with??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Mugen Mbx5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best heli to start with??

What is the best heli kit to learn with?? I have very little exp. I have flown planes but I am not that good, I can take off and land loop and roll but am not very confident yet.. I would like to get a good beginer heli to learn and stop flying planes.Any suggestions on helis would be app...
Old 02-10-2004, 11:22 AM
ChopperMike

Default RE: Best heli to start with??

First question, do you have a local hobby shop that stocks anything in the way of kits, and most importantly, parts. If yes, go with what they have and the local flyers use. If not and you will have to order what you need, I'd recommend a Century Hawk Sport or a Thunder Tiger Raptor. There are many other good helis to start with as well. There isn't much difference between one and another. Unlike planks (fixed wing) for the most part the only real difference between a beginner's heli and an expert's is the setup. I'd recommend using a simulator, Realflight if you have the computer to run it. Dave Brown RCFS 2001 or the free FMS sim if you don't. If at all possible get some help, even if it means driving some distance to find it. It will be well worth it.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 02-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Mugen Mbx5

Thanks for the reply, No local store stocks parts, so I would be ordering everthing. I was looking at the Century hawk and the Hirobo shuttle or Kalt baron. I have a local flying club and a former co-worker who flies them. There is 1 guy at the club who is a good Heli pilot, and my former co-worker is just in the hovering stages. My friend has a Srx and Nexus 30 but I don't really like Kyosho( just a personal choice because I race a Mugen Mbx-5 1/8 buggy)...What would you recommend out of the three I mentioned? What about the Jr heli's?? Are they all about equil in the trainer dept.???? Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:06 PM
beavertail

You left out alot of other choices. Ive heard great things about the Century Hawk Sport. But If you've got someone who knows a certain helicopter well to help you out, That would be a smart choice. RC Universe is awesome in the fact that these forums can help you a great deal. THere are some realy great members that will be willing to help you. I have learned alot from them.

Joey
Old 02-10-2004, 04:41 PM
ChopperMike

My recommendation is the Hawk Sport. It's an excellent heli at a great price. I've been flying my Hawk Sport since July of last year, had a Hawk II for several years before that. Raptors are good, Shuttles are good, as well as others. Fact is, they all fly and all make good trainers. The nice thing about helicopters is the same heli you learn on will take you through advanced maneuvers unlike fixed wing. It's all a matter of setup.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 02-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Mugen Mbx5

Thanks, Im giong with the Hawk. I do have 1 more question, I read some gyros require at least a 7 channel radio. I was going to buy either a Rd6000 or 6xhs, is this a mistake? Will 6 channels work for what I need?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:57 PM
purpleheli

What of gassers? Would anyone reccomend one for a beginner? I realize the added cost but have been told that they are a much more stable platform to learn on. Any truth to this and if so which one. I am not thinking of doing 3D and would like whichever heli to fit in a scale body.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:41 PM
rotordoc

Mugen,

You will love your Hawk Sport, it has become the entry level heli of choice hereabouts.

As for radio - The minimum I would recommend is the Airtronics R6000 Super as it at least has a 5 point throttle and pitch curve. If you can afford it though, go to the R8000 or the New Futaba 7CH.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:25 PM
SF34
My Feedback: (24)

I would not go with a gasser for a first heli!

The Hawk, Shuttle Plus and the Raptor 30V2 are all good starter helis. The Raptor 30V2 seems to be the most popular of the three.

I have a V2 Raptor, and it is a great heli.

Jarrett
Old 02-11-2004, 05:25 PM
syclic

Of active flyers I know, there are 22 thirty size heli's, 16 are Hawk Sports or Raven 30's, 4 Raptor 30 and 2 Shuttles. The Raptor was quite popular three years ago but since have obviously lost their status.

The Hawk Sport will serve you very well.

I agree with rotordoc who suggested to only get a 5 point radio (preferably 7 channel) as the extra channel will allow you more flexibility later with governors and gyros.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Rappys lost their status?! Certainly not the case here. I was at a fun fly in phoenix a few months ago. Raptors were most popular, around 60%(?), (mostly 50's), a bunch of furys, a couple Xspecs, not one hawk.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Hotshot Charlie

Raptors 30's and 50's are the first choice in beginners heli's and then on to intermediate to advanced with the R60's. At least that is what I have seen around here. Some of the big boys are flying Fury's and Preditors, but for the newbie the Raptor is the bird of choice.
I haven't seen a Hawk Sport in the air in my area.... I do think that they are a good choice though. The Rappy was the best choice for me.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Pathogens
Banned

Screw the raptor.

I have a Raptor V1 with a couple of V upgrades

I would take my Venture CP over the raptor anyday for a beginner.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Spaceman Spiff

Hey, Where did that JR forum go?

I flew a JR venture last weekend, it was OK, the main things i didn't like was the gear ratio, 9.75:1 means the engine would have to go 18,000 to get the 1850-1900 head speed i like, (and get easily on my wonderful rappys), and the counter rotating gear to drive the tail is noisy, sounded like a busted chain saw! my rappy kicks that whimpy POS all over the place.

BTW just having a littel fun.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Stuck-N-Da-Mud
My Feedback: (14)

just like to say i started with a rappy great bird. have many local clubs in my area.when i started i conatacted several of them in search of local help to get started.they all contacted me so i checked them all out .every club i went to they all had raptors and quite a few not only had one rappy but 2& 3 raptor's there were some big birds there but no hawlk not a one .raptors #1 just my opinion[sm=cool.gif]
Old 02-12-2004, 12:58 PM
markfsanderson

Mugen Mbx5,
This might of already been mentioned, but the Kalt company is working through a bankruptcy and spare parts are a challenge to get. You can see what I have from my signature block, and it's been working for me. We have a shop here in town that is trying to sell a Kalt Baron . . . . . .there appears to be no convenient parts support . . .

Regards,
Old 02-13-2004, 02:47 AM
czechyour6

Cant go wrong with a Rappy V2, tons of parts, upgrades, and they are LOTS LESS than most others, The fear of crashing may not hold you back as much if you can afford to bite the dust a time or two