Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Left handed RD 6000?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Llwyth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left handed RD 6000?

HI,After years of wanting one i finally bought a Raptor .30 combo deal
It came with a RD 6000 radio ,whats confusing me is that the throttle / collective is on the right stick
with cyclic on the left ,according to the manual its supposed to be the other way around so im a bit stuck as to what to do as the right stick will stay in any position (Throttle) ,so this makes me believe i have a problem as its not just a matter of flicking a switch to swap them ,the sticks would have to be physically
taken out and swapped around .
Am i right or just stupid
Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S>
this site has been really helpful getting me this far (reading old posts etc) but ive had to register to ask this one
Old 02-10-2004, 01:08 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Left handed RD 6000?

You have a Mode 1 transmitter. Mode 2 has the throttle on the left.

If it is new, and you want the throttle on the left, I would send it back and get a new one. If this is not possible then you might be able to convert it yourseld (or have someone do it for you).

The mechanical swap is pretty easy. You need to take the back off and take the spring from one stick and put it on the other. The electronics can be more tricky. Some computer radios can be set for different modes in the menu. Others may have to be returned to the service centre.

The problems will be things like:

Dual rates on throttle (whereas it should be on elevator)
Throttle cut on elevator.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Llwyth

Thanks for the reply, Looks like ill be learning to fly left handed then.
just out of interest whats the difference between mode 1 and mode 2
Old 02-10-2004, 08:58 PM
rotordoc

Let me guess, I bet you purchased your combo from a dealer in Asia? (I hope they sent you one on a North American frequency at least - 72Mhz)

They fly Mode 1 while we fly Mode 2.

If you want someone to trim out your heli and set it up properly for you (something most experienced flyers strongly suggest), then you will be very hard pressed finding someone capable of flying Mode 1 here.

I would strongly suggest that you send the TX to the Airtronics distributor in your country and have them change it back to Mode 2
Old 02-11-2004, 04:12 PM
alvin1

whatever you do,DON'T LEARN TO FLY WITH THAT MODE ONE TRANSMITTER!send it back or sell it!you must learn with a mode two transmitter.the reason being that as pointed out ,not many people will be able to set up the heli for you in the united kingdom,and,if you do learn with that tranny,then you will never be able to fly with a mode two tranny once you have learnt with a mode one,this can cause problems as;YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SET UP SOMBODY ELSE'S HELICOPTER FOR THEM IN YEARS TO COME UNLESS THEY TOO ARE MODE ONE, also; YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TRY A FRIENDS HELICOPTER OUT WITHOUT SETTING IT UP ON YOUR RADIO FIRST,YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY YOUR CLUBMATES OLD RADIO WHEN HE UPGRADES AS THIS WILL BE MODE TWO ALSO............{SOME RADIO'S CAN BE CHANGED} the list is endless.........................it is generally accepted that mode 1 is easier for flying planes and mode 2 for helicopters.hope this will point you in the right direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Llwyth

ive just e-mailed the shop to see if they will exchange the radio and reciever, as that has channels 2 and 4 the wrong way around
so hopefully i can start with a mode 2 instead
Old 02-13-2004, 11:37 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to change the receiver, just the transmitter. Receivers can be used with either mode (they don't know the difference). In fact, you cannot buy 'mode specific' receivers. You just plug the servos in different sockets!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:23 PM
FHHuber
Banned

You don't even need to exchange the TX....

You plug the RX channels different and you are done.

If you can't plug change the channels order... you just move the rheostat from the right stick to the left... (or swap wires for the same effect... but that one would be best done by someone who knows what they are doing)
Old 02-13-2004, 05:29 PM
alvin1

if you only change the reciever channels then you will have all sorts of problems when it comes to setting up the helicopter,for example ,when you program a pitch curve on a mode one transmitter and have swapped the reciever plugs around to give a mode two response,then it will affect the elevator control instead of the pitch.it has to be done properly inside the transmitter