Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Newbie Electric Heli?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Best Newbie Electric Heli?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 06:09 PM
DuuhMojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Newbie Electric Heli?

Hi all,

Newb question here. I'm looking to get a electric heli and I'm wondering if I should get
a Micro like a Hummingbird or get something larger like a Corona 120.
I hear micro's are harder to fly but the price makes them more attractive to me. I would like to
keep costs somewhat down when I start up. Input?

Cheers!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:22 PM
ChopperMike

Default RE: Best Newbie Electric Heli?

I used to think that micro's were a mistake for a beginner until I flew a friends Aerohawk. I just bought the Century Hummingbird. That requires some explanation:

First, I've been flying heli's for about 15 years. Currently flying a Century Hawk, I've had, among others, a Corona, which I think is a good machine. Last fall I picked up a MS Hornet which I've been struggling with ever since. Figured with my experience the Hornet would require only a short "getting used to" time. Wrong! The Hornet has been a big disappointment for me. Very unstable, hence my feeling towards micro's

Last Friday I flew a guy's Aerohawk and it changed my opinion of micro's. I just had the wrong one. I couldn't believe how stable the Aerohawk was compared to my Hornet. I bought the HB mainly because I wanted just the heli kit and not the electronics that come with the Aerohawk. And from what I've read here all these micro's (other than the Hornet) are all very similar.

I'm in the process of installing the equipment right now. I'm going with separates and for now at least, using my Futaba GY240 gyro out of my Hawk.

Regards,

Mike
Old 02-12-2004, 07:35 AM
nicebag

I purchased my Aerohawk just month ago and I'm able to fly now in steady hover.
Only thing I did was to remove extra plastic edges in main rotor head and Aerohawk is now very easy to fly.
I'm far away from flying it in circles or something more complicated, but I'm encoureged to go for it.
It's quite solid made, and during last month I've been crashing it in the furniture and floor, which caused damage in one rotor head and main wing which I replaced for 20$.
Replacement parts are also cheap and easy to get, so as a beginners one it's good to go.
Some of my friends were able to do some small hover jumps after just few minutes, so thumbs up for Aerohawk...
Old 02-12-2004, 06:12 PM
DuuhMojo

Nicebag,

Did you buy your Aero in a rtr kit? With the radio and all? I think I will
get either a Aerohawk or a Humingbird II. For now I think I'll
just go with a kit, cheap radio that comes with it and all. If I become
worthy then I can "up" grade myself. Thanks fo rth input guys!

Marcus
Old 02-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Pathogens
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

I thought that it would be fun to start off flying a micro electric, indoor heli..

Boy was I wrong.

I am sorry guys, But what a total waste of time micro electric helis are.

I had an aerohawk.

brand new off of eBay.

I didnt let the micro heli turn me away from helis, but instead bought 2 more nitros. Will never look back.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:58 PM
DuuhMojo

Hey Pathogens,

So you didn't like the micro heli cause it was difficult to fly or unstable?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2004, 10:18 PM
ChopperMike

Update. Just got everything sorted on my Hummingbird and man, am I happy!!! After the experience I had with my Hornet I finally have a micro that I can fly. This thing flies great! It is so stable. I never thought I'd say that about a micro.

Anyone interested in getting a micro will be happy with this one. Obviously a newbie won't be able to hover it right off the bat like I did, but this proves to me that you CAN learn on a micro if you get the right one. I have to assume that the Piccolo, Dragonfly, etc. will fly similarly since they are physically very similar.

Anyone who says micro's don't fly well doesn't have the right one or didn't take the time to set it up correctly. Now, if I can just get my Hornet to do the same.

Regards,

Mike
Old 02-13-2004, 04:01 AM
nicebag

ORIGINAL: DuuhMojo

Nicebag,

Did you buy your Aero in a rtr kit? With the radio and all?
Marcus
It was RTF (ready to fly) kit, with radio and all. I presume you can't buy Aerohawk without whole kit. Included radio is 4channel Smartech, excellent for starting, 2 sets of batteries, recharger. All you need to do before take of is to buy battery for radio controller (8x1.5V AA), center fly bar rod, mount main wings, and if the rotor head is enough good made (or it will require small polishing) you will be able to go to hover after few days of practice.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Robertwav1

Anybody here try the Hoverfly? I'm a beginner....I've had it a month and I can fly it for 40 seconds pointing away from me. They say it mimics the 30....I don't know. I do like it....but...never tried anything else.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:09 AM
DuuhMojo

So does the Hummingbird comes with seperate parts? By that I mean the gyro, ESC and so on, or is
it all on one board?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2004, 01:02 PM
ChopperMike

The Hummingbird is available as a kit w/o electronics and they also have pacakge deals. You can buy just the "Hummingboard" which I believe is just the ESC's and tail mixer, no rx or gyro, for $39.95. I went with separates on mine using 5A and 15A ESC's, GWS 4ch rx and my GY240 gyro.

Regards,

Mike