Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

radio infomation

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 12:02 PM
phil 844

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio infomation

what is the difference between ppm tx and a pcm tx and can you use a ppm tx with a pcm rx
Old 02-15-2004, 12:21 PM
ChopperMike

Default RE: radio infomation

Whatever modulation your TX is using, you have to have the same type RX. Most PCM capable TX's will do both types of modulation.

PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) differs from PPM (Pulse Position Modulation) in that, if signal is lost the servos don't randomly move like they will with PPM. They retain their last valid position and if signal is not restored they go to a preset position. You must have a PCM RX to use this feature.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 02-15-2004, 12:28 PM
phil 844

thanks for that info mike i have got a futaba field force 6 are they any good
Old 02-15-2004, 04:15 PM
ChopperMike

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Field Force 6

Mike
Old 02-15-2004, 05:59 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Earlier Field Force 6 sets were great computer sets for aircraft but not so good for helis.

Some of the earlier problems were:

No CCPM mixing
No pitch curve
No throttle curve

They did have hover throttle and hover pitch which equates to a 3 point pitch and throttle curve. You could adjust the top, bottom and middle but nothing else. No provision for 'V-curve' throttle settings. This has big consequences for the budding aerobatics pilot.

I don't know a huge amount about the latest sets. I know that they do have CCPM mix now but I'm not sure about the pitch curves. They are fine for hovering, forward flight and gentle aeros (piros, loops etc) so if this is your first heli will have plenty of life left in that radio.

And they are Futaba, and although I now use ZAP WC11, I still keep my trusty FF6 for slope soarers and the like.