Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Helicopter Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 10:55 PM
apipertoo
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicopter Help

Ok, I have flown fixed wing for 30 years and want to try Heli's ( crazy huh) well I need help with orientation. Where is the best place to watch the Helo? the front? the top? the tail boom? Where should I watch for the best orientation? Its not like the wings of an airplane. I bought a simulator to start on but still need some help
Old 02-22-2004, 11:40 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Helicopter Help

You start out with the heli about 40 to 50 ft awy, tail pointed directly at you... nose into the wind.

Until you can lift it 3 to 4 ft and hld it steady, then gently set it down... that is all you are going to be doing. Up... try to hold steady and slightly reduce power+collective pitch to let it back down. (immediately reduce power a bit any time it does anything you don't want.)

The low level stationary hover is one of the hardest things to do with a heli. Moving from fixed wing... that's the thing that will have you break the heli if you don't practice it.

Get with an experienced heli flyer. Have him tweak the trims and adjust the collective:throttle relationship. And use the training gear.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:11 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

I can be done alone, but experienced help is highly recomended. Have a look here:

http://p-locate.rc-helipad.com/
Old 02-23-2004, 05:41 AM
nascarjoe

If you come to Lockport, NY, we will give you a free lesson on our helicopter. You will be very surprised how much we can teach you in 30 minutes. No strings, just want to help pass the word that helis are easy to learn, that is if you have the right instructor.

Joe Batholomew
Lighthouse Hobbies
95 Locust St.
Lockport, NY 14094
1-716-433-0646