Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Looking for Inexpensive Beginner Gas Heli, Any Suggestions??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Looking for Inexpensive Beginner Gas Heli, Any Suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 10:21 PM
techmed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Inexpensive Beginner Gas Heli, Any Suggestions??

OK. I was warned not to start with heli's, but I did anyway. I ended up with an old Revolution Hoverstar and I never could get it to function properly. I ended up burning up the clutch, and found out that I could no longer get parts for it. So I gave up for awhile and went into airplanes. Got used to the controls, and went back into helicopters. Only this time, Electric. I now own an ECO 8, and the new Aerohawk, along with my old Hoverstar. I have somewhat gotten used to flying the electic helis, and want to move back into a gas powered heli. I am still a beginner, and don't want it for doing tricks. I am looking for something fairly inexpensive to start with. A complete ARF Heli would be nice. I saw in the marketplace a Litemachines model fairly inexpensive, but I would like some opinions first. Also, Does anyone know where I may be able to locate some old parts for the Hoverstar?
Old 02-24-2004, 06:57 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Looking for Inexpensive Beginner Gas Heli, Any Suggestions??

If your looking for a nitro heli, I would go with at lest a 30 size heli. The Litemachines are a good little heli, but they are now where near as stable as the 30 or bigger size helis and they don't come in ARF, you have to build them. You can buy a 30 size heli pretty cheap now a days and they will take you a lot farther in your flying ability's then the Litemachines will. As for you Hoverstar, all you can do is try and find a hobby shop that stocks lots of spear parts for all kinds of heli and then try to match something up and make it work. If all you did is burn the clutch up, all you should need is a new liner, you should be ably to find a liner anywhere and just make it work, you mite have to have it turned down, but it should work. I'm not sure how the clutch works on the Hoverstar, so I'm just speculating.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:33 PM
syclic

As Charlie says, If you want to go into a methanol burner, start with a 30 size that has collective pitch and an autorotation system. Something like the inexpensive Century Hawk Sport. Complete with a very user friendly OS32SXH engine you will have only spent $280.00. It is easy to build, easy to set up, easy and inexpensive to repair and will be able to take you right on through to your initial 3D aerobatic training.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:40 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, first we have to fix your vocabulary. You used the word inexpensive in the same sentance as helicopter. That doesn't work.

Just kidding.

Get on heliproz.com and look at the raptor 30. You can get the ARF version with the TT engine fairly reasonable and it is a great little flying heli. I think you can get them new for around $400 or less. You can find them used for about half that if you look really hard. That is a good heli. You will like it. There are others too. I have heard a lot about hawks, but don't know much about them. Check it out too.

Good luck. Helis are a blast.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:34 PM
uncle ducky

Hi all,

I am new to the helicoptor world and would like to know what i should get as in a good heli. i been looking things up on the net for about month now and seem to like the Raptor 50. Is this a wise to go this big? I want something that is cheap but not to cheap. Also is there a kit that has the radio with it? if not what should i get for a radio? thanks for your help. Cant wait to get a heli and start flying it around.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:50 PM
FLYBOY

UD, you should start another thread for your question, but yes, the raptor 50 is a good machine for you. I like the Futaba 9CHP for a radio too. heliproz.com is a good site to look at. Check them out. They have great prices. Call Curt and ask him for quotes. They can usually do better than the advertised prices.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:53 PM
techmed

After some advice from a few different people, I settled on the Century Hawk Sport. For the money, it seems like a good deal. However, I was a little bit nervous dealing with Century as a company. The first person I spoke to seemed knowledgable, and was willing to answer some basic questions, but the second time I called, the person seemed a bit rude. I found that if I bought the combo, heli and .32 O.S. engine, that I could save another $20.00 versus buying them separately. I asked if everything was in stock, and they assured me it was. But if I placed the order thru the website, I would also get free shipping. I was ecstatic. I asked these questions, not 10 minutes before I placed my order via their website. They're SSL secure socket layer is not working, so I was very nervous putting my credit card through a non-secure environment, and their website was a bit hokey. Sometimes I was on centuryheli.com, and other times I was on heli-world.com, and none of the prices seemed to match.... Their website definitely needs some work. Well anyway, I called back to confirm the order I just placed via their website, and asked if it would go out today? Can you guess what the answer was? I couldn't believe it after all that. The engine was backordered. I was furious!!! I cancelled my order, and that was that. After a few minutes, I cooled off, and called them back, and asked when they expected the engines to be in. I waited a couple, then they came back and said that they found one, and the could re-instate my order and get it out the same day. We'll to finish my long story. I received a tracking number this afternoon, which is a good sign. I hope everything is in the box when I receive the package though.

Hopefully I'll end up with a good heli for a good price. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:38 PM
fritch1969

Please post when you receive it, I ordered mine through the lhs last thurs. and it's still not in. I'm in PA.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:30 AM
techmed

Yes. I will let you know when I get it. Free Ground shipping, means 8-10 days. Scheduled delivery of March 03, 2004.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:33 PM
3littlefonzies

This may be of no consequence, but i ordered my raptor from www.heliproz.com . They have free shipping for orders over US$100. I live in TN and it made it here in 6 days.

chris
Old 02-27-2004, 05:52 PM
FLYBOY

ORIGINAL: 3littlefonzies

This may be of no consequence, but i ordered my raptor from www.heliproz.com . They have free shipping for orders over US$100. I live in TN and it made it here in 6 days.

chris
I called heliproz monday at 4:10 PM and my order was here Tuesday at 10 am. That is too cool!
Old 03-01-2004, 10:39 AM
XLR8_01

i agree with alot of the people here. I just bought a first helicopter. I highly recommend the Thudner Tiger Raptor 30 Version2 (V2) with the TT.39 engine. it's my first, and the Kit form, while i was building, REALLY REALLY helped by getting me aquainted with the chopper's parts. I already had an 8 channel digital futaba radio, so that was all set, but after engine break in, this heli is quiet, smooth, and a good flyer. I havn't started 3D with it yet. and if you want more... a simple bigger engine is easy to change to a TT.50 or an OS50. i spent about 300 on mine in kit form with 39 engine. The 39 and 50 helis are the same size... dunno if anyone has said this, but they just have a bigger engine. I have pics of mine if anyone wants to see it. I took car graphics from Pepboys... looks nice. Email me at [email protected] thnx~
3D~fixed wing for life. Power to the gas~