Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 04:22 PM
raabid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question

I'm learning on my new electric , and I'm getting to the point where I'm comfortable holding it in a small area although not still yet. However I'm getting to the point now with the heli that I can tell I need a trim adjustment.

My question is I'm getting to the point where it pretty stable in every axis except yaw. It constantly turns CW at a slow pace so that I have to bump the rudder/tail input to get the tail back to me. Do I need to adjust the gain on the gyro, or just add in more left rudder trim, or will my left thumb just even it out with lots of practice?

Also I'm a little fuzzy on what the gain on the gyro does.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:48 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Newbie question

add tail rotor trim.

Gyro gain, when in rate mode, controls the rate of change of yaw rotation. If you set the gain to allow what seems to be a small yaw rate... trim as you have it now... then avoid touching the tailrotor control... then just watch... the heli will slowly spin faster and faster. (if you mount the heli to a "lazy suzan" you can safely do this experiment... with it firmly on the ground.)

In heading hold mode... the gain controls how much stick you need to use to convince the gyro to allw you to change heading at all.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:54 PM
MelSuarez

Default RE: Newbie question

Sounds to me like you need to trim the 'rudder'.

I have a rate gyro:
- too much gain causes the heli to oscillate (over correcting)
- too little means I have to do all the heading control by myself

You can see the diff, by putting the tail rotor blades together till they're almost touching and turning the heli with your hand. (A lazy Susan is a heck of an idea!) You'll see the separation of the blades react to the turning motion.