Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Collective Pitch Question for the Experts here!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Collective Pitch Question for the Experts here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 06:02 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collective Pitch Question for the Experts here!

I've been flying the MS Hornet for a couple of years now with lots of Success, In fact I own 2 mint MS Hornets (Schweizer 300C)s!, However All this time I've only have had FIXED PITCH on both of these hornets and never had any flying expeirience with collective pitch. I love my Hornets, But their are just to many days of light wind that keep me grounded, and their is no indoor facility large enough to fly indoors, SO ITS TIME to move on to a larger Heli that can at least withstand a 2mph Brezze! I've been looking around and noticed that any helicopter larger than a Hornet is Collective, So it looks like my Fixed pitch days are over! I've been looking at possibly a size range of an Eco 8 Heli. My Question is THIS! Does Collective pitch automatically Increase with throttle input? and can I work the Collective with the throttle only? Do I have to have a seperate Collective Pitch control that works independent of the throttle? I really dont want to many extra knobs to fiddle around with, my hands aren't to good after paralasis from and auto accident back in 1984. I guess what Im really trying to ask is, can I still simply use the 2 sticks only, on the 4 channel heli Radio? Or does Collective set-up require my hands to fumble with another knob, switch, ect. while in flight? Or How about this! Is it possible to set up Collective as Fixed in some way?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:32 PM
ChopperMike

Default RE: Collective Pitch Question for the Experts here!

With a CP heli you have a separate servo for the throttle and CP functions. These are electronically mixed by the TX. When you move the collective stick both servos move predetermined by the curves set in the radio. The curves determine the way the servos move, they don't move in a linear fashion and can be changed by various mode switches on the TX.

You need to have a heli radio which will be at least 6 channels. It is possible to set up a CP heli as fixed pitch but there's really no point to doing it.

Mike
Old 02-28-2004, 03:07 AM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks Mike!

Just a quick question for ya mike! I noticed that the Eco 8 Heli comes with a regular 4 channel airplane radio, 4 servos and an ESC, and it has a mechanical mixing system! Does that mean that the servo for collective pitch and the ESC would both work off the same stick?
Old 02-28-2004, 08:09 AM
ChopperMike

Yes, that's right. You use a Y-harness to control the ESC and collective servo off of the throttle stick. It also has a mechanism where the collective servo physically moves the tail servo back and forth to give you the mixing to the tail servo.

Mike