Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
 gonna try a loop this weekend >

gonna try a loop this weekend

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

gonna try a loop this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gonna try a loop this weekend

any hints or tips apart from start high up lol.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:41 AM

Default RE: gonna try a loop this weekend

mmm pull hard on the cyclic stick
Old 08-06-2004, 04:22 PM

btw midland helicopters are closed for three weeks
Old 08-06-2004, 04:43 PM

Old 08-06-2004, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run in fast and high. Don't yank the stick back. Pull it smoothly into the vertical. If you still have speed as it is pointing nose to the sky then keep pulling. If you don't, then 'stall turn' out of it.

Lower the collective over the top but don't go mad. Keep pulling back and there you have it.

Think of the 'bail outs'. The first one is the stall turn in the vertical. As you are inverted it is more tricky. If you can roll, then a half roll out is an option. Otherwise the most likely the only option from here is to keep pulling. That is where the extra height for safety comes in!

Once you have done it a couple of times you will probably find that it is not that hard.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:23 AM

bottled the loop lol, practised stall turns instead ,a bit to windy to get lots of speed up[]
gonna get used to flying far away from me first i think.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:50 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Its not as hard as you probably imagine.

Best of luck
Old 08-09-2004, 07:48 AM
`3D

Just remember to go to mid stick over the top......then back to hover stick as it comes out of the loop.......back to hover.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:46 AM
My Feedback: (12)

What heli do u have? I have a rappy 50 that will do a nice big ole loop...It used to be a 30 size and it didnt loop that good. It was pretty much a flip...The 50 will do it nice and graceful and wide, easing back on the elevator.....
Old 08-10-2004, 10:40 AM

Try the flip first and when your comfortable with it, try pulling back the collective to center when your on top and pushing it back when your going down( idle up please v curve if you want to make a good loop) that what makes it a loop or a big loop.

I started with flips double, triple....... and then slowly going to big loops. good luck
Old 08-14-2004, 10:42 AM

by flip you mean just pull back on the cyclic till its the right way up again?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:14 PM

yup, to keep it from falling too far, give some negative pitch when it is upside down. Seems like the loop is less likely to go wrong durring a first attempt though. if you don't have the timing right on the collective you can get a flip going backwards on you. If you are comfortable with forward flight, try the loop first.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:19 PM

If you have a simulator practice the flip because timing is very important when pulling back the collective. what makes the loop harder is that if you are still not comfortable with the orientation of the heli you'll endup sideways or maybe nose in when coming down. on the other hand you just need the timing even if you end up a little sideways its still ok bec. it easier to bail out. Its like doing a very small loop.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:11 AM

well i finally plucked up the courage to try a loop! first one was ok more of a flip,second one was better but more like a number 9 lol,third kinda went wrong, did the loop but seemed to totally run out of power and made a very hard landing resulting in a new set of blades,boom ,various links,flybar being needed you know the drill my question is do you reckon it was me putting on too much pitch and giving a back elevator command that made the engine bog down so bad or an engine problem,the engine normally gives a pretty good climbout,but seemed to stuggle pulling out of all 3 loops ,is this normal for a 30 size?
Old 08-22-2004, 10:05 PM
WH

Dan,

Do you have throtle hold set up? Throtle hold should be in general, set about 65 to 75 % throtle. Before you do a loop or a roll, you should switch to throtle hold, or sometimes called throtle up. You can still control collective, but the throtle still is up there. You can then pull a bit of negative collective to bring the loop around smooth. I know that this is not totally necessary to do the first loop, but it will make it work much better in the future. If you set the throtle hold and practice it a bit in forward flight, then aerobatics will come easier, atleast in my opinion..,

Good Luck Sir.

WH
Old 08-23-2004, 12:45 AM

my raptor was in idle up 1 set up to give -6-+9 pitch with the throttle set to 70-62-50-77-100 head speed was faster than normal mode but i dont have a tach to measure it. the loop went fine just didnt seem to have the power to pull out of it.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power on the pull out shouldn't really be a problem. You are pulling back on the cyclic all the time. This offloads the engine to a certain degree due to the flare effect.

It sounds that maybe your loops are a little small (i.e tending towards flips). These will require a load of power. For a normal loop you need to make sure that you are running in at full speed (i.e straight and level with the collective all the way at the top) before you pull up and pull up smoothly.I think the most likely point to run out of speed is at the top of the loop. The pull out can be flown with very little collective.

Don't take what I say as gospel. I am only at an early stage myself. I taught myself to loop and the above notes are based on my experience.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:35 AM

i had trouble with consecutive loops with my 30, not enough power to sustain the strain. I could do doubles, if i was carefull to minimize using the colective, but never got to the point of doing triples with mine. I have upgraded to the 50, that has plenty of power for just abut anything.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:38 AM

i think thats my problem i was going into the loop at only 3/4 collective/throttle because it was flyin really fast and they were small loops, hmmm must try harder and higher lol. any way got all my bits that i needed and have fitted most of em cant belive how little it cost to fix, 47 pounds i was expecting into the hundreds when i started stripping it down.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:49 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Dan, as you probably already know, make sure you have plenty of forward speed and altitude.
DONT, pull back too sharply on the cyclic. Pull back smoothly, and you won't lose much headspeed. As you start nearing the top of the loop, pull back to center stick, and as you start exiting the loop, slowly add collective. Also, a good HH Gyro will help keep your orientation, throughout the manuever. Keep practicing and you'll become more comfortable, with it.
REQUIREMENTS FOR HELI STUNT & 3D: 20% skill, 80% nerve
Mike
Old 08-28-2004, 06:17 AM

well ive just been out testing my raptor again ,making sure i fixed it good all is well phew! but i started playing around doin fast desents and then full power climbouts and and they aint great[:'(] tried leaning it out no change tried less pitch even worse ,tried more pitch no change,hmmm changed plug, wow big change i reckon thats why it bogged so bad and crashed doh! i thought plugs either worked or didnt?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:47 PM

Hey Dan, what kinda plugs did you end up getting that gave you more power? I probably don't need new plugs for mine I don't think. I am using O.S. #8s in my O.S. 32 engine. Is there anything more powerful?
Old 08-29-2004, 03:37 AM

changed the plug from an 0s8 to an enya3 but i think the os8 was on its way out beacause it was a little bit crusty around the coil.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:55 AM

decided to change my learning tactics,gonna learn all the slow stuff nose in ,slow piroettes, slow circuits that kinda thing first then start on the aerobatics,maybe ill not crash quite so much. i found its actually harder to fly slow tidy circuits than fast ones
Old 08-31-2004, 05:06 PM
WH

Dan,

Nothing wrong with working on nose in first, after you have hovering down even before forward flight. In my opinion, it is the next step to the progression. You will find nose in will help you many times when you are falling out of an aerobatic manuver... Everyone does it differently, but you can never get hurt by learning nose in.

WH