Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

T-rex 450x for beginners??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

T-rex 450x for beginners??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Digital235

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-rex 450x for beginners??

Hi I am a newbie looking at getting heli. I am looking at electrics heli but i will consider a nitro. I know the raptor is the heli to get for nitro but I'd prefer an electric. I am leaning towards getting a T-rex 450x but i was wondering how well does it fly for beginners. Helihobby.com suggest it is good for beginners but they also suggest the Zoom / Shogun 400 which i've read is more for intermediate to advanced flyers. I've practiced on the sim for piccolos (piccofly). I can hover for a short while balancing my inputs. The real thing is probably much harder. Well I'm looking for an electric CP heli that is like the raptor version (good for beginners and can progress to intermediate). Is the T-rex 450x a good choice? Thanks,
- Digital235
Old 12-06-2004, 12:53 PM
r40334

Default RE: T-rex 450x for beginners??

The T-REX 450X is durable and stable. On the other side, it is a bit heavy (related to its current size). You need to make sure every moving part will run smoothly (which will minimize the power lost during flying) when build it, then you'll enjoy the flying with it. No comments on Shogun 400 as I didn't try it.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:01 AM
Darksider

shogun 400 is definetely not a beginner helicopter, the t-rex is alot better but i'm stil not convinced small electrics are the place to start, they simply aren't as stable as a 30 size nitro making your job of learning that much more difficult, also you say the raptor is the heli to have, i've flown raptor 30/50/60/90s for nearly 2 years now, and recently built myself a new sceadu evo 50 and to be honest it puts all my raptors to shame for smoothness and tracking in flight, i'd certainly give it some consideration.

Gareth
Old 12-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Unless you are a exceptional genius then you might consider a fixed pitch heli to start out with they are much cheaper than collective pitch and cheaper to fix when crashed.I have been in rc for about two years and in helis for three months but I have researched the subject and talked with many local pilots and they mostly all say the same thing,You have to crawl before you walk,I spent a month solid on my G2 sim before I even tried to fly my Piccolo V2 and when I first hovered I had no problems except for a little nerves and shakes the sim will teach you allot also by a good heli not cheap crap that is why I got the ikarus Piccolo V2 it is built in Germany not in Japan or China that is why they cost so much more.I also have the Trex 450x but it will sit on my shelf until I have mastered the Pic,also unless you are independently wealthy stay away from nitro because you crash one of those then you will pay through the nose,and believe me you will crash it is the nature of the beast.Also for the doubting thomas out there that I have a Trex 450x well friends here it is http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...emberId=83983;).As for the quality of the heli well the jury is still out on that we will see if I should have bought a Eco 8 and not the Trex it does have allot of plastic in it as compared to the Eco 8 and I am a fan of Ikarus because the Piccolo is so well built and can withstand some hard sit downs,who knows maybe I will sell Trex and get a Eco 8.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:20 AM
RCelectrichelinut

i'm stil not convinced small electrics are the place to start, they simply aren't as stable as a 30 size nitro making your job of learning that much more difficult,
I think micro electrics are the best thing to start with just for the reason you mentioned. If you can learn to fly an electric and keep it stable then as you move up in size things will get really easy. Also crashes are so inexpensive on a FP electric. I couldn't imagine trying to learn on a larger copter. Just the time factor of finding a place to fly would have probably made me give up fast. I charge a battery,pop my copter on the kitchen floor and go flying
Old 12-09-2004, 10:03 AM
tanasit

I'd recommend the Esky 3D HB2 which has a collective pitch. It is reasonable priced and has parts if needed. I was surprised at how good it is out of the box. I like the simple design but yet effective with many carbon fiber parts. Put on the training gear and slowly throttle up, let it skip about for a few flights, don't left off until a few days passed. When it is time to lift off, limit the altitude to a few inches to familiar yourself with airborne control. Learn to read the next move of the heli and counteract just before it complete its moves. You have to be in constant control. Keep each flying session less than 10 minutes or else you will get tired and lose control. If you trim it well, you should be able to hover within a few days. DOn't fly outdoor unless it is absolutely calm. The 3D switch is there and wait for you to progress and venture into another envelop of flight you dream of.
T-Rex 450 is too complicate for the beginner to repair.
I flew gas ones for over 20 years and had been waiting for the electric ones that will fly reasonably well and now is the time.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:23 PM
pcliftonjr

I personally wouldn't start with a Micro electric if you goal is Nitro (been there done that...it sucked). Spend the money on a SIM and get a Raptor 50 when you can afford it.

Paul
Old 12-09-2004, 07:20 PM
r40334

I personally play only electric stuff for some reason. But I agree with Paul that you shall go directly with Nitro if that's your goal. Nitro heli is related cheap and easy to fly than their electric counterpart.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:54 PM
tanasit

I just finish assembling the T-Rex 450 with brushless motor set. I ahd a few problems along the way: the RX included in my kit doesn't work with Futaba or Hitec TX (only JR), the gyro doesn't work (defective, I think). So I put in the Hitec 6 channel RX and the Futaba 550 gyro which I took off from the others. This is a complicate setup with not so clear manual and if you never built one before, you will have a tough time figuring out the linkages and such. But it is well organized by bag numbers, and the pieces fit together very well (except the frame spacer which is too long). It took me 3 evening to complete. After sort out the RX and gyro problem, I built the training gear from 2 carbon rod with hard foam balls attached to the end. The rotor speed got me scared because I am used to the lower head speed of the gas one (about 1350 to 1750 rpm). The motor is 2500 Kv and with the 13 tooth pinion, the hovering speed is about 2100 rpm. I chose the wooden blades over the plastic ones simply because it came iwth 2 set of wooden one. I noticed that the flybar has no extra weight, so I know that it will be very responsive (sensitive) and I was right. I had to turn down the control volumn of the aileron and elevator to 80% and threw in -30 of exponential rate on both channels. It is almost perfect with only a slight left rudder trim and that's very impressive. I need to get used to this one a few more flight before the forward transition and a simplr circuit flight but I am confident that it will do very well. I also have the Concept EP 10 and the Esky 3D but I like the T-rex better..way...better.
It is not for the beginner, IMO.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Sabot

Many people will tell you that there's no such thing as a beginer heli and i agree

IMO the difference between a 'beginner' and intermediate heli is what you do before the heli gets into the air like programming the curves on the transmitter (which i find very confusing)
btw you might get people who keep telling you to get a gasser. dont listen unless you're sure you want one.

Tanasit: "The motor is 2500 Kv" whoa [:-]

good luck

Sabot
Old 12-16-2004, 05:40 PM
tanasit

Sabot RE: "The motor is 2500 Kv" whoa".

This is the lower rpm one because the manual shows the other option which is the 3500 KV motor with 11 tooth pinion at 2300 rpm rotor speed.
At first, I was trying it out indoor and I felt the rotor speed was too high so I raised the hovering pitch. Today I flew outdoor and felt like I need more head speed!
Anyway, I felt that the flybar was too sensitive because of no weights like the others, so I decided to replace the stocl flybar paddles with the ones from my Concept EP which have the built-in weights. As the result, this is the most stable rc helicopter I ever flew (I flew about 6 gas ones and 5 electric for over 20 years). It lifts off and just stays there without any vibration or loosing the altitude. The rudder is also smooth even with the outdated mechnical gyro (Futaba G155).