Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

WHAT HELI I SHOULD BUY??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

WHAT HELI I SHOULD BUY??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 06:54 PM
juasiel
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT HELI I SHOULD BUY??

WHAT HELI I SHOULD BUY??

PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE THE RIGHT HELI FOR MY NEEDS..I AM A NEWBE,I FLY AIRPLANES. BUT I WANT FLY HELIS....MY BIG PROBLEM IS THAT I DONT HAVE ALOT OF MONEY BUT I AM MAKING AN EFFORT TO GET ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY ONE. THE MAIN ISSUE IS THAT, I WANT THIS HELI BE FOR BEGGINERS AND BE AEROBATIC,,THAT IS BECAUSE I KNOW I WON'T BE ABLE TO BUY A TRAINNER AND THEN BUY ONE MORE SOFISTICATED HELI FOR THE NEXT STEP,,,,IN FACT, I STARTED FLYING A SECOND LEVEL AIRCRAFT, NOT A TRAINNER. I KNOW IS NOT THE SAME, BUT I FEEL I HAVE THE SKILLS TO FLY ONE MODEL LIKE THE RAPTOR 60 ( HELI OF MY DREAMS ) BUT I DON'T KNOW,,,PLEASE HELP!!!!
I SO IN THE WEB A JR VENTURE 30 KIND A CHEAP...WHAT YOU THING????
I WOULD BE GLAD TO RECEIVE YOUR SUGGESTIONS....
THANKS!!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: WHAT HELI I SHOULD BUY??

Raptor 50 and an OS 50 will kick pretty good at half the cost of a 60. Apply the right settings and paddles can change it from very mild to wild. I have a 90 that has been sitting around for months. The 50 is all i fly. Not that there is anything wrong with the 90, the 50 does everything i could ask of a heli, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg to run. Have a couple freinds who do the same.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:51 AM
NYHOB

You can get the eSky 4CH for about $ 130 - [link=http://www.hobbyjapan2000.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=108eSky]esky information [/link]
Old 12-08-2004, 10:35 AM
sdavied

Go with the Raptor 50.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:08 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't want to waste a lot of money, stay away from those cheap garbage helis. Get yourself a sim and start practicing. Then watch ebay and RCU for a good used Raptor 50 or 60. I got my first raptor 60 new with engine a few years ago for $300. If you watch hard, you can find a deal. Haven't seen one that good since, but if you want to spend less in the long run, get a good heli. Raptors are good, parts are cheaper and they will do anything.

The problem with a heli is you will break it and wear out parts. They are expensive, but a lot of fun. Don't start with junk. You will just spend a bunch of money and not get much flying time out of them. There are lots of posts from people who have bought them and are ticked that they are so bad. Why go there!

Good luck. Hope you get the one you want. They rock!
Old 12-08-2004, 12:13 PM
WhtBronco

Most any of the 30 size machines out right now, Caliber, Venture and Raptor will do aerobatics very well. I just bought a Raptor 50 for my first heli and it is a very capable machine. That's why I bought it. I knew I as well would not have the money for a long time for another heli. My dream heli is an X-Cell Fury, maybe someday. Id' suggest getting the heli that local piltos fly and that you can buy parts for locally.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:45 PM
juasiel

Thank all of you,,,it seams like the raptor 50 it will do it...but Spaceman Spiff,,, why you the 50 most insted the 60 version...and you guys saying that whit the 50 i will have the trainner and a second step heli,, the one that could make inverted flight, loops, and the standart aerobatics??
ONE MORE THING WHAT ARE THE PADDLES???

THANK YOU,WhtBronco,FLYBOY,sdavied,NYHOB,Spaceman Spiff, YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFULL..

JUASIEL
Old 12-08-2004, 03:49 PM
juasiel

ANY STORE IN THE LA WHERE I COULD BUY THIS HELI (( RAPTOR 50 )) , ARE THERE SEVERAL VERSIONS OF RAPTOR 50 WHAT IS THE BEST AND IF IT DOES COMES IN KIT,ARF OR RTF????

THANKS
Old 12-08-2004, 03:54 PM
juasiel

Spaceman Spiff,,, why you FLY the 50 most insted the 60 version...and you guys saying that whit the 50 i will have the trainner and a second step heli,, the one that could make inverted flight, loops, and the standart aerobatics??
ONE MORE THING WHAT ARE THE PADDLES???
THANKS
Old 12-08-2004, 04:21 PM
sdavied

Get the kit. You will be better off in the long run.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:55 PM
juasiel

BUT IS NOT MORE SPENSIVE sdavied
,,,I MEAN , DO I HAVE TO BUY SEPERATE HARDWARE TO BUILD IT??
Old 12-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Hello again,

Any of the nitro power helis will do loops, rolls, and fly upside down just as well as it flies right side up. there are several good choices.

The 50 kit is a hot rod version of the 30 with parts that allow putting a 50 size engine. It has very cheap parts. it weighs only 6.6 pounds but has lots of power. So it can do just about anything a 90 can do. it Comes with the good muffler, carbon and wood blades. There are 3 sets of flybar paddles that are available for it. 30 gram black paddles are very smooth and slow turning, good for beginners, they also make 20 gram paddles that allow the heli to turn faster. Fuel cost is about 20$ a weekend for me (i fly a lot) Crash cost ranges from as littel as 40$- to as much as 200$ depending on your choice of blades, and how hard it hits.

The 60 or 90s have similar relationship as the 30 and 50. They use the same frame, but you use diferent engine size and diferent gears and blades. They are very good helis to fly or learn on, but the fuel and crash cost is about double.

if you are rich and want the best get the big one. If you are like most of us the smaller one might be the best for you.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:05 PM
wisdom-seeker

DO I HAVE TO BUY SEPERATE HARDWARE TO BUILD IT??
Not separate hardware, but perhaps specialized tools you don't currently have. Whether it's a kit or an ARF, you need these tools anyway. Just like planks, you will crash. It's only a matter of when. If you build the kit, you will have an easier time figuring out how to do repairs, and you will have all of the right tools on hand.

By the way, you will need some tools for setup of an ARF. One essential tool is a pitch guage. Guessing if the pitch is correct is not a "good thing".
Old 12-09-2004, 10:05 PM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

You can get a Century Sport Hawk heli for $150. It's a .30 size heli so it won't be as expensive as a .50. Replacement parts will cost about the same, but you won't need a more expensive engine, and you won't need higher end servos. I've heard that this thing flys great and you can update it to fly 3D. I've never flown it myself, but I've heard from a very good resource, that this would be the way to go if just learning to fly helis. Good luck with your new "Venture."
Clinton
Old 12-10-2004, 03:31 PM
juasiel

Thank you very much Spaceman Spiff... you have been very helpfull....just one more thing..any web site so I can check this heli and compare prices??
Old 12-10-2004, 03:40 PM
WhtBronco

www.heliproz.com