Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

RealFlight Heli Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 06:33 PM
RJOL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RealFlight Heli Q's

Just got RealFlight G2 and started trying to fly the "Watt Not" helicopter. Man... is this thing squirrelly. Do I need to reset some parameters, change to different helicopter, or just fight my way through it?...[sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-11-2004, 10:36 PM
rusirius

Default RE: RealFlight Heli Q's

If your new to helis any of them are going to be a bit squirly at first. First and foremost though, stay away from the watt not... It's too small and fixed pitch to boot. (not to mention I don't even think it has a gyro) To start off with use the Impala .30 trainer. It's pretty stable and easy to pick up and the training gear will help you learn your orientation. As far as getting it to hover, just keep your control inputs VERY small and VERY smooth. You'll also have a slight delay between giving it an input and it responding to it. Once you get used to it you'll never even realize it, but at first it can be tricky. Just practice practice practice. Eventually it will just "click" into place and you'll be hovering like nobodies business. Make sure you swing the tail around so your looking at the back of the heli once you get it light on the skids. This way the cyclic controls will be "normal". Later after you've got the tail-in hover down pat you can start rotating it around and getting used to other orientations.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:26 AM
rubaga

It helps a lot to use Virtual Instuctor. It shows how inputs go smoother and lighter once you lift off the ground.

I also used Impala trainer first. Then I switched to 3D heli. The reason was that pretty much any sim is far from reality and therefore training on a more difficult heli (from control point of view) improves skill.

Once I learn something new I switch between models of helis to check that I can do it with any heli.

In addition I have a small indoor heli Hirobo XRB Lama to check my skills picked up on sim.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:34 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Haha! Yeah, I've got about 130 flights in on my Raptor 50, and I still can't even hover that crazy little Watt Not in the sim! I figure I'll have to put a few hours into the sim if I ever want to play around with a small FP electric like that... just haven't taken the time to do it yet.

My favorite thing is to do with that Watt Not is to fly it up a little ways, kill the motor, and watch the heli spin like mad! Then hit the throttle again, and it "crashes" in mid air! I guess it sims the G-forces that it sees when you do that and figures it's pretty much torn itself apart... or it's just a bug in the sim... any of you FP electric owners try that for real to see what happens?!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:37 AM
rusirius

I think a lot of it has to do with the heli and such. I gotta tell you, I have a dolphin that was modified to fit the specs of the raptor .30. It flies DEAD ON to my real rappy... In fact, I trained with it for a while on the sim and had NO problem heading out to the field with the real thing. Did hovering and forward flight perfectly on the very first flight. Same thing applies with the planes I think. The stock Ultra Sport I didn't think flew realistic at all. I modified it to fit the exact specs of my Ultra Sport Plus and it flew dead on perfect. (The stock US didn't fly like the US or the US+ in my opinion). In general though, I'd say if you can fly it comfortably on the sim you should have no problem at the field assuming you don't let the nerves take over once your piloting a $1000+ ship that doesn't have a space bar.