Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Beginner Heli Shopping List + Questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Beginner Heli Shopping List + Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 11:52 AM
brsseb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Heli Shopping List + Questions

Thinking of getting into choppers, perhaps early next year if i can raise the money needed (if not, im building another airplane ).

Already got a radio for my airplane, Hitec Eclipse 7 (heliversjon with 5 BBservos+). My new LHS got the TT choppers and seems to have full range of spare parts at affordable prices should I happen to fly it into something (like the ground, or mountain, a cow, etc ). I also got the basic airplane stuff like a starter and a glower, basic workshop with stuff like pliers, screwdrivers, drill, etc.

Raptor 50 w/TTPRO 50 (V2)
Futaba GY401 w/ 9253 OR!! 9254 (what to get?)
Futaba GV-1 Governator (really needed? almost the price of the Gyro..)
Extensions for glow and starter

The whole package comes to about 7000 NOKs (around US $1100 atm) (yeah, I know. You should see the prize of gas...[:@]..).

Any upgrades on the Raptor that I should get right away? Something in the V2 that are worn out almost instant? Ive heard something about a ball bearing kit? (My dealer seems to sell BBs seperatly, not i packages). Also, I guess a crash kit or two are mandatory ?
Old 12-12-2004, 05:11 PM
rusirius

Default RE: Beginner Heli Shopping List + Questions

Save for the Heli regardless... You'll have much more fun...

I haven't used the Eclipse, but I've heard it's a pretty nice radio. Since it's the heli version you should be good to go (no ratcheted throttle, etc..). As far as the rappy, I think you'd be happy with the 30 or the 50. It's one opinion to another which to go with, the only real advantage to the 50 in my opinion is that it auto's a little better (Read that "easier") You really won't notice much difference between the two other than price when something does happen. Hey, if you can afford it though, go for the 50, why not... You'll be happy with either the 9253 or the 9254... I use the 9253 myself and have nothing but praise. As for the governor... I don't run one, and probably never will. Aside from being way expensive, if you get the engine tuned right and take a little time to get your throttle curve set up correctly, it's completely unecessary in my opinion. If you do decide to get one, instead of an all out governor (which can actually slow your throttle response down because of it's processing time, you should really consider just a limiter, like the Rev Max... Much cheaper, and will keep you from overspeeding the head. You'll definately need the extension and start shaft. I'd also suggest a pitch gauge unless you can borrow one from somebody... The rappy does have one built in, but it has to be set up to begin with. You can get away without one, but not very well. Ball link pliers are definately nice. You should either buy a ball link sizing tool, or make your own (just screw a ball link to something and "mark" it with some pliers or something. The tool marks will then "shave" the links by placing them on there and rotating a few times. I know the 30 pro raptor arf with the TT 39 engine already is 49BB... I don't know if the 50 comes in a 49BB kit or not. If not, you can buy an upgrade pack pretty cheap online. Shipping to norway shouldn't be a problem for most sites, but if you can find it local it would take much less time I'm guessing. As for the crash kit, have you had any sim time? I'd HIGHLY recommend it if not... I can't TELL you how many "crash kits" I would have went through if I hadn't worked with the sim first. As it is, I spent a couple weeks on the sim before attempting the real thing and haven't had an incident yet. In fact, did hovering and forward flight on my first flight without any problems at all. Get a "blade holder" too... Keeps the servos from getting yanked around or a blade getting a chunk out of it while your transporting it. Hope the info helps!

ORIGINAL: brsseb

Thinking of getting into choppers, perhaps early next year if i can raise the money needed (if not, im building another airplane ).

Already got a radio for my airplane, Hitec Eclipse 7 (heliversjon with 5 BBservos+). My new LHS got the TT choppers and seems to have full range of spare parts at affordable prices should I happen to fly it into something (like the ground, or mountain, a cow, etc ). I also got the basic airplane stuff like a starter and a glower, basic workshop with stuff like pliers, screwdrivers, drill, etc.

Raptor 50 w/TTPRO 50 (V2)
Futaba GY401 w/ 9253 OR!! 9254 (what to get?)
Futaba GV-1 Governator (really needed? almost the price of the Gyro..)
Extensions for glow and starter

The whole package comes to about 7000 NOKs (around US $1100 atm) (yeah, I know. You should see the prize of gas...[:@]..).

Any upgrades on the Raptor that I should get right away? Something in the V2 that are worn out almost instant? Ive heard something about a ball bearing kit? (My dealer seems to sell BBs seperatly, not i packages). Also, I guess a crash kit or two are mandatory ?
Old 12-12-2004, 06:12 PM
brsseb

Thankz for an excellent and detailed answer.

I want the 50 since the price is about the same (my LHS dont seem to sell much 30s, the 50 seems to be the popular one). Also Ive heard that the difference between them is the engine, longer tail and rotors, with the same body otherwise. And since it can get windy up here where I live, the 50 will be a more stable learning platform i think.

The 9254 is about $20 more than the "older", dont seem too important. The 9253-combo is more than expensive enough....

Good think i dont need the governor (right away anyhow). Then I might be able to get some smaller upgrades instead like some BBs. Seems like the carbon mount for the tail servo is a popular addon, to get better tailresponse? Or is that something ill care for when I get to the intermediate stage?

I got FMS and some other sims that Ive used for airplane training. Got an USB interface so that I can use my Eclipse on that. Training on both choppers and airplanes.

(one small detail. When im out of the beginenrstage I would like to get a scaleish body for it, like a MD500 or JetRanger..But why do such moulded pieces of plastic seems to be so HORRIBLE expensive? Its just molded plastic, but still outprice the cost of an entire chopper kit! Do the manufacture have to pay royalties to Bell or MD for using their models..??)
Old 12-12-2004, 06:34 PM
okw

I'd say that if the LHS has a readily available supply of 50 parts, that's the way to go. I too fly at a very windy field and the larger heli is much more stable. The difference in parts cost really isn't great between the 30 and 50. The main disadvantage of the 50 is fuel consumption, but I think the extra power is well worth it.

The 9253 will work very well on the tail; the newer 9254 is 25% faster (.06 sec vs .08 sec) and about twice as strong (not important on the tail). In windy conditions, the faster response may be helpful, but not necessary.

I don't fly a governor either and have no problems. I think the money for that is better saved for fuel.

FMS is the sim that I use and it works just fine for heli's. It's biggest drawback is the lack of support for autorotations; although I practice just by pulling the throttle down then flair and applying throttle at the bottom. It saved me a couple weeks ago when I had a flame-out.

I agree with you on the cost of scale bodies. I'd love to have a 500 for my old Shuttle, but I'll have to wait for a sale!

Keith