Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Housefly Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:40 PM
jml21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Housefly Help

Just got a Megatech housefly. I can not seem st trim it out so that it will hover stable. I checked that the blades are even in hieght and they are. Everything looks right but when I apply throttle it it starts liffting up but looses stability and flips sideways or backward. Help

Jml
Old 12-17-2004, 11:34 PM
wisdom-seeker

Default RE: Housefly Help

Do you really think that hovering is easy? It's not, and the smaller the heli, the harder it is. Either practice with a simulator, or grit your teeth and try until you succeed. Hovering requires constant supervision of all of the controls.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:51 AM
LTChip

From what I understand - the counter rotating models like the Housefly are very much more stable than a traditional heli but it is asking too much for it to be completely stable for a hands-off hover.

I'd suggest letting an experienced flier take it for a spin and they can tell you if what you are experiencing is normal behavior or if you do need to adjust the trim.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:54 AM
humveecrusher

With this bird you have to nail the throttle to get it up then back off. It will hover hands off once you get it up.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:53 AM
LTChip

Is that because of ground effect? How high does it need to be before it will be stable?

Any other flying tips?

Mine should be here in a few days.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:50 AM
humveecrusher

I've hovered mine a foot off of the ground.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:08 AM
LTChip

Can't wait for mine to get here. I also am really anxious about crashing because it will be my first rotary wing flight. I plan on taking it really slow.

I think I'll try it first in my front yard where there is a bit more room and less to hit than inside.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:29 PM
iosolutions

I found the Housefly MUCH easier to fly than a 'real' microheli. Being the proud owner of two piccolos and a Rotofly, I have some idea of microheli performance - but certainly - only my 2 cents here for what its worth.

The Housefly really can be flown by someone with NO experience. DONT fly it on anything but a smooth floor at first while trimming, because you can actually trim it on the ground as you slowly apply throttle and it slides in whatever direction. Simply adjust the trim till it doesn't slide and it will indeed practically lift straight up. It is also incredibly easy to fly. Now, I can't tell fom the original post exactly what is meant by "looses stability and flips...." but it does require some control input to stay where you want it to - so it may be a case of inexperience with helis.

Its a pretty ingenious little machine, but if you have a microheli, you will immediately see that it is not at all of the same caliber. It really is a toy - but an awesome one, I should add.

That said, on my second flight, my housefly decided it didn't want to communicate w/ my radio anymore and after normal troubleshooting and some guy at Megatech asking me if I tried adjusting the trims - DUH - I had to send it in for repair/replacement. We shall see what happens.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:27 PM
LTChip

Ok - everything came in good shape - packed well.

Charged the battery per instructions.

Checked the blade tracking per instructions.

On the first few run ups I adjusted trims on the radio. Seemed to need a good amount of trim (aileron) so I may look into changing it mechanically.

After some guts I flew it up to about 2 - 3 feet. It is not wildly squirrelly but can't really call it hands off though.

All in all it is pretty stable. I think I need to work on the trim after it is in the air too.

I am no where near good enough to keep this bird in a stationary hover. I think I'll put some foam blades on it to see if it calms it down enough for me.

One thing I can say is the stock blades are TOUGH. Not even a ding and I had some pretty good collisions with furniture.

Another thing - I can't seem to get it to work with my Eclipse 7 with Spectra. Any thoughts?

That's all for now...I think the charger is done.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:02 PM
the_pixelator
My Feedback: (1)

On one of the three House Fly's we got in, one had a bad lower swash/hub bearing. I brought the heli up and suddenly it would wobble and lose control. After looking closely, it was determined the bearing had come apart. After replacing the bearing (not that easy) it flew much better. Not quite in the same league as a Hirobo XRB Sky Robo wireless, but hey. It's cheap.

If you need bearings for this, send me an email and we can hook you up.

[email protected]
Old 12-23-2004, 04:26 AM
LTChip

Update - now I am able to fly in tight rectangle patterns in the garage. Very cool. This after only 8 charges worth of practice.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:27 AM
humveecrusher

This is a great little heli. Once one figures out how to set it up right it will lift off and hover 5 inches above the ground with neutral trim.