Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Buying training gear - What to look for

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Buying training gear - What to look for

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 07:29 PM
brsseb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying training gear - What to look for

Gonna get myself one of those trainingears (4 sticks and balls) for my TT Raptor 50 and wondering if there are any special features a good training gear should have, and if I can just buy pretty much any gear or if some are far better than others. Any tips?
Old 12-31-2004, 09:10 PM
Lason

Default RE: Buying training gear - What to look for

I keep hearing that its cheap to just build your own. bamboo sticks with whiffle balls on the end.

But I do hear the rotopod is awsome and durable if you can afford it.

http://www4.mailordercentral.com/hel...?number=103602
Old 12-31-2004, 09:46 PM
Pathogens
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

I went out and spent like $50 on a nice rotopod setup. well. the fuel ate away at the paint on the sticks. basically they were ruined after a week. they were a sticky ruined mess

The question that you need to ask youself is if you really need training gear. by the time that I acually got my a/c out and air worthy, with all the practice on G2 I didnt need the training gear at all. I think that it actually hurt me in a way.

If you can land a heli on the sim, you can land it in real life..its alot, alot, alot easier to do in real life...

If you must, go out and get some dowles. chances are that you wont need the training gear for long...
Old 01-01-2005, 12:49 PM
sdemitchell

I made a set out of wooden dowel rods and whiffle balls. Use long screws in the ends and leave a little loose to allow the balls to rotate.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77161.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	209176  
Old 01-01-2005, 02:19 PM
brsseb

Thankz for the imput. In not gonna spend too much on this, though, so ill look what my LHS got in stock on monday. If noting else, ill find some balls and sticks, some ducktape and glue..
Old 01-01-2005, 10:18 PM
tex1790
My Feedback: (9)

I went out and bought a small hula hoop and 4 wooden dowel rods. Drilled 4 holes in the hula hoop and stuck the rod in crisscrossed the rods and zip tied it to my heli. Make sure you cut any excess sticking out of the hula hoop or it could get hung on something. I think I spent a total of 3-4 dollars for this setup.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:10 PM
darkfa8
My Feedback: (19)

i've got the $2.97 hula hoop from Wal-Mart, gonna prolly rig it up with some lenghts of aluminum tubing... total cost, hmm, maybe $15 max and it should last indefinitely.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:01 AM
brsseb

The hulahopp is a brilliant idea. Gonna get one today. Found some sticks that i can make an X off inside it, then ill strap it onto the chopper. Should work just fine, and being a compelte circle, should provide more support than just 4-5 balls on stick. Thanks guys
Old 01-06-2005, 05:12 AM
gunwolf

Try this before you get training gear!
[link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html[/link]
Helicopter Flying School article!
Old 01-06-2005, 06:28 AM
brsseb

ORIGINAL: gunwolf
Try this before you get training gear!
[link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html[/link]
Helicopter Flying School article!
Wow, this guys got some attitute.

Looks like great stuff though
Old 01-06-2005, 08:23 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found the "practice golf balls" work even better than wiffle balls. The balls look like mini wiffle balls. They don't seem to cause as much vibration from the air blowing over them as wiffle balls. I personal thing a beginner should run a practice gear of some sort for atleast a short period of time, it cuts down on the accidental tip overs ubtil you get good at just setting the copter down firmly. But i do agree you should get them off as fast as you can because your brain starts using them as referance to steady the heli, thats not good. When they are on try not to focus on them, focus on the heli or the main blades.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:24 AM
brsseb

Brought a very cheap hulahoop today (the toystore salesman looked at me strange when chatting to my brother about drilling holes and inserting sticks in it ). Got it in a dark color so it wont catch my eyes in the air (so i wont rely on it as a reference, like you say.). Now i just need to find some sticks in the garrage.. [8D]