Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Whiteman Training stand contraption

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Whiteman Training stand contraption

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 02:49 AM
MimsK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiteman Training stand contraption

Do [link=http://www.whiteman.biz/page2.html]these[/link] work? Been wondering if it would actually be worth while. Anyone got any real/world info on this product?

Thanks

KM
Old 12-18-2004, 04:21 AM
MimsK

Default RE: Whiteman Training stand contraption

Or an opinion?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:51 AM
flyerdarren

Save a $100 and get a roto pod. These stands are just a gimmick.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:40 AM
tanasit

I wouldn't say that it's a gimmick. They took time to design and came up with something that works reasonably well for me for over 20 years ago. But after trying several ways to practice and fine tune the gas rc heli, I think the training gear is good enough and won't break your bank.
Setting up the Whiteman can be tricky depending on what size of your helicopter. I used it on my 30, 50 and 60 size and found that it didn't actually simulate the actual flying condition due to the friction of the joints and the cg settings. However, I found it to be useful for tuning the motor and setting the blade tracking as well as the sensitivity of the cyclic control. It saved time and you can do your tuning, traing in a confine space which may be what someone is looking for. As of now, I only use the traing gear because it is cheaper, more convenient and portable to the field.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:08 PM
rcheliflyer01

Been there and done that

When I first started I thought that stand would be great for getting into the hobby...........wrong.
I actually ordered one from the local hobbyshop, it was one of the many mistakes I made as a beginner and
actually held me back, also a heli can setup an oscillation and destroy itself when restrained, so please
don't strap your new heli down for testing either, it may not happen every time but it's ugly when it does.
When attaching your heli to the stand, it's very awkward to access and start it , the stand will also need to be staked down
or weighted or the whole darn thing will topple over.
Use the money towards a good sim like G2.
The best thing you can do is to get some proper training gear and have an experienced pilot help you out initially.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:34 PM
tanasit

rcheliflyer01
I totally agree with you.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:10 AM
MimsK

Allrighty then, you guys make this forum rock! I'd say the above brings closure to this thread.

KM