Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Century Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 11:57 PM
rcdrivertim
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Century Hawk

STAY AWAY from the Century Hawk...Mine went in on the 2nd flight...They put the bird together in the box and ship it...I get it and believe it was done right...WRONG the did not use any Loc tite and my motor mount screws came out...The ones that Century had mounted in the box...I will buy a Raptor now...
Old 12-25-2004, 12:23 AM
armyrcer-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Century Hawk

why don't you try and put it back together , get someone to help you fly it and enjoy the hobby. You posted the same thing in runryder. I am here to tell you every helicopter is not going to be perfect out of the box. I have flown a caliber,hawk,and a friends raptor. They have all had small problems out of the box. The problem you stated you had if you look on page 16 step 21 it tells you to loc-tite that area along with on page 14 step 17. just trying to help you so you are not disappointed with another heli by not reading the directions. good luck mike
Old 12-25-2004, 06:09 AM
marked23

The pilot is responsible for securing all the screws. That's just how it is. I don't think it's fair to bash the Hawk because you had a rookie maintenance issue.

I fly a Hawk. I would encourage you to get another Hawk kit and proceed knowing that you now have started a good collection of spare parts. The Raptor 30 is good for learning too, but if you switch now, you loose your Hawk education and those spare parts.

What I don't get is how you were able to mount the engine to the motor mount without removing the motor mount from the frame. I suppose it can be done, but it would be inconvenient.

-Mark
Old 12-25-2004, 09:58 AM
shackscs

I bought a Sport Hawk and the motor mount was also installed when I got it. They ship that way. But....as stated in an earlier post, I backed out the screws to the motor mount and put Lock Tite on the screws and then put them back in.

I understand that helis vibrate quite a bit and I did not want my screws coming undone while in flight.

Sorry for your loss, but I would simply repair what was broken and continue on learning on the Hawk.

You may also want to include the motor mounts as an area that you check as part of your pre-flight to do list.

The screws to the mount mounts are fairly long and thread all the way to the head of the screw.

If you missed this, then you should definitely add this and all other metal to metal connections to you pre\post-flight check list.

Good luck and hang in there.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:20 AM
ChopperMike

I've said it ore and continue to say, the Hawk Sport is an excellent choice for a beginner (or experienced sport pilot). The Hawk Sport I bought several years ago was my second Hawk, the first being a Hawk II. When I started putting the Hawk togetherng I initially took the sub-assemblies apart until I realized there was no reason to do so. Everything had lock-tite on it where it needed it and was assembled correctly. I then just continued with the build and never had a problem. I put hundreds of flights on the Hawk Sport until it was retired in favor of my Hirobo Sceadu Evo 50. I still have the Hawk if anyone is interested in it.

Reagrds,

Mike
Old 12-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there when the heli went in and after we found the problem we looked through the manuel and it said nothing about locktite. But whet made it worse was the store he bought it from who said they stock all the parts and when he called after the crash they said they didnt have the parts and they didnt stock them and all this happened in a weeks time. So i dont think the heli was the problem but it was the hobby store that pushed him over the edge.

Mark
Old 12-25-2004, 07:48 PM
shackscs

Call or go to Hobbyhut.com or another hobby shop, either online or locally to get your parts.

As far as there being no mention of loktite:

Page 14, step 17 Engine Mount:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73114.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	206769  
Old 12-26-2004, 01:01 AM
armyrcer-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

markdennis, as posted above there are two places in the manual where it states loc-tite,and here is the other. Look at page 16 step 21.Im glad your friend is able to get some of the parts for free. Jim is a very nice person to do that for him and there is still people offering to help him. I guess this is chalked up as a learning mistake, and he will probably never do it again. Well if he needs help im here to help too. take care and good luck mike.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51942.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	206842  
Old 12-26-2004, 07:23 PM
syclic

Yep, looks like the instructions DO tell us to use locktite!
R/C Helicopter 101
Rule #1 - clearly read and understand the instructions.
Rule #2 - take your time & build/assemble carefully and meticulously
Rule #3 - If possible get experienced help
Rule #4 - learn from ones errors - we are all human and are prone to making some
Rule #5 - make sure it is not your fault before passing on blame.
Rule #6 - Have fun

There are a number of flying field I visit regularly. The Hawk is probably the most popular trainer at all of them. Like any heli, built properly they Rock, built for instant gratification they can bite.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Squirrlcommander

You get what you pay for. The Quick setup instructions, in the beginning of the instructions, clearly say. All pre assembled segments are ready for mounting and need no adjustment. Now It is true that he should of checked all the bolts. But If you are buying this helicopter then you are probably a knewby and they won't know to check them. i think they should put more work into the instructions. Plus I have built many helicopters, and the hawk is built for those that can't afford a good heli. This is demonstrated by everyone eventually upgrading to nicer bird. It's better than nothing!
Old 01-06-2005, 07:42 AM
ChopperMike

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you. The instructions for the Hawk Sport are better than most. Certainly better than the Raptor from what I've read on this forum which is why you have raptortechnique.com because the instructions are so lacking. Certainly better than the instructions for my Hirobo Sceadu Evo 50. While I think the kit is excellent, without a doubt the best one I've built, the instructions are pathetic. And I too have built quite a few helicopters, 11 so far including 2 Hawks (a Hawk II and the Hawk Sport).

The instructions for the Hawk clearly show where you need to apply locktite. And anyone who builds a helicopter has to realize very early on that there are a lot of little parts that can come apart. Common sense will tell you they need to be secured even if you don't closely follow the instructions.

Mike