Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Im NEW, going to buy a heli, HELP

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Im NEW, going to buy a heli, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 06:37 PM
Jared1106

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im NEW, going to buy a heli, HELP

Hey guys,
I am about to buy a Honey Bee 2, brand new, RTR, comes with the training landing gear and the cable to hook radio to the puter for the simulator, I am going to pay $169.00 plus shipping, is this a good price? Any thoughts on this Heli? Should I get this or go with something else? I do not want to soak a lot of $ into this right off till I learn how to fly..
Is this a good deal?? Thanks in advance....
Old 12-31-2004, 09:54 PM
Pathogens
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Im NEW, going to buy a heli, HELP

As a moderator you would think that you would know how to use the search engine.

anyways... DO NOT, I repeat, Do not waste you money on $170 junk like i did...

this micro heli is way hard to learn on and is also garbage.

seriously, you cant expect much from a $170 heli with electronics...

If you really seriously want to get a heli, goto heliproz.com and dump $800 on a starter package. This is the only way to go.

MICRO ELECTRIC = JUNK!!!!!
Old 12-31-2004, 10:05 PM
Jared1106

LOL, I agree it would be the way to go, but I want to start out with something to give me the feel of the whole experience! I would rather crash a few hundred dollars before I get into the big bucks.. So would this lil heli be a good starter? Give me the feel of it all?
Thanks
Old 12-31-2004, 10:07 PM
ChopperMike

Oh boy. I feel another electric vs glow war coming on!
Old 12-31-2004, 10:28 PM
Jared1106

LOL, no war here, I just want an cheap full function heli to get started, then it will be a big gasser, no glow for me!!
Old 12-31-2004, 10:42 PM
Stuck-N-Da-Mud
My Feedback: (14)

I fly electric and nitro . My thought on a cheap micro is the only thing that you will exprience is a bad headace!![:@] By the time you put the money into a desent electric setup few more $$$. You could get yourself a new nitro kit. And exprience the real thing. Nitro or electric who cares as long as it flys!! LOL
Old 12-31-2004, 11:00 PM
pwterry

Electric heli's range from under $200 to well over $1000. If you keep in mind that a $200 one is not going to be of the quality or precision of the $1000 model, you'll be okay. For learning purposes, the $200 heli will do. If you learn to control it, the larger, heavier, more expensive electric or nitro that would come next would not be a problem.

I have an Esky HB2, and am happy with it. Some have had problems with it, I have not. Again, you have to keep in mind that you're dealing with a low end heli that is mass produced by underpaid workers that don't give a d___.

Other choices:
The Dragonfly 22A is supposed to be a decent "cheap" heli. The 22A is new to the market, so not much is available in support or parts, yet.
In my opinion, next up are the Shogun 400 and the T-rex. Both approach the "good" electric heli models. Both require separate electronics (receiver & transmitter, servos, gyro, ESC, and possibly mixer) which is where the money is spent. The total dollars spent for these approach the total dollars needed to get into nitro heli's.
Beyond these, dollar wise, are any number of good to excellent heli's, both electric and nitro.

You have to weigh what you are willing and able to spend (you'll need a repair parts budget for a while) against the quality and ease of flight. The more bucks you have, the higher quality you'll get. The more bucks you have, the easier to learn (the bigger, the heavier, the more stable it is).

Me - I don't have a bunch of bucks right now. I would rather spend $200, plus $20 in repairs now and again, than spend $1000, and spend $200 in repairs now and again. Plus, if I cannot rise to the skills required, I'm not out as much.