Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Need advice on buying raptor setup!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Need advice on buying raptor setup!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 06:09 PM
KC10Chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on buying raptor setup!

I've flown planes for over 10 years and want to buy a heli. I have decided on the Raptor after doing research on RCU. It seems like the best one for me. I have a Futaba 8UAF radio. I'll probably upgrade to the 9C in the next year or so. Anyways, should I spend the extra money to get a 50 size Raptor over the 30? I was looking at the deals on Heliproz.com.

What gyro would be good for a noob? I was looking at the Futaba GY401. Is this too much gyro or not enough or just right?

Also, these things use 5 servos right? What do I need to have? I was going to buy the Futaba S3151 which is a digital servo with dual ball bearings and plastic gears. Would these servos be okay for the 50 size heli?

If I buy the 50 size over the 30, are the parts a lot more expensive for when I wreck it? How about carbon blades? Are they worth the money? Thanks for any info! Matt
Old 01-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Stuck-N-Da-Mud
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Need advice on buying raptor setup!

If you are gonna purhase a raptor go with the 50.. Good beginner and it will take you a long way!! Not that much difference in parts on the 30 & 50. As far as in blades carbon fiber are nice might want to stick with the woodies till you get the hang of it.. The 401 gyro is great supper fast, and acurate.. I have that on mine.. And it is dead on, really like it!! Get the 9253 servo. Yes it takes 5 servo's one to match your gyro, and your other four.. Happy buying & Happy flying!!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 01-05-2005, 12:33 AM
KC10Chief

Here's the deal I'm looking at from heliproz. All of their combo deals have carbon blades from what I can tell. It's the Raptor 50V2 with the O.S. 50SX-h and carbon blades for $549. Sound like a good deal? Matt
http://www4.mailordercentral.com/hel...mber=101450W50
Old 01-05-2005, 11:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Heliproz has great deals. I have the VelociRaptor 50 and LOVE it. I'd pass on the 3151 and go with some Hitec 635HB's the 3151's only have 43oz of torque, the hitec's have 70oz

Quite a few of the Heliproz packages come with carbon blades but save them till you get a few gallons under your belt (don't ask me how I know this) The 50 uses many of the same parts as the 30 and its about the same price to fix. The os50 will consume more fuel than a 30 size but IMHO its well worth the difference. The 50 is more stable and fly's better in the wind.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:08 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, go with the raptor 50 from heliproz. any of there deals are worth it, they have the best prices i can find on the internet,plus they know what they are talking about. I have 2- 50 size velociraptors I bought from them and i just bought a 90 SE from them also. In my 50's I went with the karbinite geared Hitec digital servo's, the hs-5475HB. They are cheap($35.00) and digital and no slop gears. They have been able to handle everything i have done so far. I have 401 gyro's in all mine but make sure you get the new servos (9254), the old 9251 sucks(no torque).
Old 01-06-2005, 08:13 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also I am flying with the 8U transmitter and it works fine. You have to cheat the govenor if you use one but it does work fine.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:52 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 50 is about the same cost in parts, not much more. Its got more power. You will like it. The radio will work fine till you get a 9C. Just a little more work to set it up. The 9C can't be beat. The 401 gyro is just right. I wouldn't go any other way.

Get the G2 or G3 sim and start practicing. It will pay for itself in about 20 minutes. You will save many crashes if you learn on the sim. Its a great heli. Have fun.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:18 PM
loadthis
My Feedback: (3)

GY 401 gyro now comes with the 9254 servo. What is the difference between the 9253 and 9254?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:29 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Definitely get the .50 kit and build it yourself. The extra power comes in handy if you screw up and need it in a hurry (I know from experience )! If you build the kit (instead of getting an ARF), you'll know how to debug problems and repair it. The OS .50 SX-H was my first nitro engine, and it has performed flawlessly for me so far... over 120 flights on it so far!

Servos & Gyro:
Get high torque servos for the collective and cyclic pitch... 70oz/in or more. Get a fast digital servo for the tail... the GY401/S9254 combo is excellent. A standard servo on the throttle will be fine.

Radio:
The 9CHP is a great choice for your upgrade!

Simulator:
Definitely get one... G2 or G3 would be great. It will more than pay for itself in crash savings, and will you will advance in your flying skills much quicker...