Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Micro VS. .60 or larger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Micro VS. .60 or larger

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 09:52 PM
BCherry
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro VS. .60 or larger

II'm new to helis but I fly fixed wing very very well.. I can Fly the Helis in G2 no problem..hover auto rotate,and fly a pattern.. so i bought a heli max electric to practice. and I seem to suck.lol.. Now the question...Is a micro electric easier or harder to fly than a .60 size or larger Heli. Thanks.. Brad
Old 01-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Micro VS. .60 or larger

Is a micro electric easier or harder to fly than a .60 size or larger Heli. Thanks.. Brad
A micro heli is a lot harder to fly then a 30 size heli. A 30 size heli (or bigger) flies rock solid compared to a micro (micros are very unstable).
Old 01-06-2005, 07:56 AM
ChopperMike

It seems to be a common misconception that it will be easier to fly because it's smaller. I've talked to many people over the last few years since the micro's came on the scene who seem to think that. As Charlie said, a 30 size will be easier to fly than a micro and a 60 size even more so. I was surprised how much of a difference it made going from a 30 size to a 50 size considering tha the airframe of a 50 is the same size as a 30. The only difference is the length of the tail boom and main blades.

The other thing you have to consider is the simulator itself. The sim may be easier or harder to fly than the real thing depending on settings but the setup is always correct mechanically. In other words, the sim isn't going to have tight ball links or binding linkage or anything that might hinder the way the heli flies. Micro's are actually more difficult to set up in that it's more likely to have one of these problems. Everything has to be perfect in order to get a smooth operating control system. The servos are tiny any can't overcome tightness in the linkage like a larger one can.

I've flown and/or owned quite a few micro's and many of them, properly set up flew quite well considering their size. But stability wise, a larger glow machine is many times more stable.

Mike
Old 01-06-2005, 08:00 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with charlie. Micro's are extremely hard to fly for people who know how to fly heli's. Get into a Raptor 50 or atleast a 30 and the differance will be huge. I fly a raptor 50 and can do alot of manuvers but I bought a full blown micro heli ($800.00) and as far as i'm concerned it flys like @$&*!!!!! Everytime I took it out it crashed and cost me more to fix it than my worst crash of my raptor 50. Unless your pocket is endless stay away from micro's.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:11 PM
kegg_jam

Hi,

I've never flown a nitro heli or any heli for that matter before i bought my EF helicopters Sabre about a week ago (my Christmas present to me). While i wouldn't say that this micro is "stable" it is not too hard to manage a decent hover. I've got a few years experience with fixed wing rc and clocked in some time on FMS simulator. The sim is not any where close to being accurate but you can get an idea of how the controls function. My little heli sure takes a nocking and still keeps flying. Mostly i keep getting too close to my couch and chairs in the living room. I just chop the throttle when it looks like trouble and so far i have only had to straighten the main blades back out check the paddles and off for another loop around the living room. I am hoping to get into nitro's in the future but for now i am having a great time with my electric micro.

just my 2 cents

JK