Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Longevity of Helis? Is it true?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Longevity of Helis? Is it true?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 08:11 AM
kaamacat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longevity of Helis? Is it true?

Im getting close on picking a FP starter heli from a local shop (which also seemed to be advised from others on this board), and may get the M24......but..........for as much reading as Ive done in the forums, I seem to see that stuff breaks. Im not concerned about if something breakes from my fault, but, for spending (lets say) almost $400 for something to have a motor or gear fail from "normal use". Is this a fact?

Bob
Old 01-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Longevity of Helis? Is it true?

Absolutely

The stock motors and batteries that come with micro helis aren't very good right from the start, and the wall chargers aren't much better (for charging). Don't get me wrong, the stuff that come with them will get you in the air, but don't expect them to last long. I think you will be very surprised how much money it takes to get a micro heli flying right and keep it flying, it doesn't take long and it starts adding up.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:40 AM
kaamacat

In your opinion. Would "stuff" last longer if not used too frequently. Like, are the reasons that gears and motors die because of heat and such. Meaning, if you did not have constant repeated flight they may last longer? (just curious). I know my wife may have some input into this little starting adventure, should I get 5minutes into it and it fries.....

Bob
Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 AM
visalia31

just something about the chargers that come with inexpensive helis; yes, they do charge the battery. That is what they are made to do. However, that is all they do. Charge, charge charge and charge. I bought a honeybee F/P. it came with charger and NIMH batt. It will charge the battery, but it will NOT stop charging when the battery is done. I have to continuely monitor the battery's heat output or the charger will fry my batt. I had a Superbrain ($50) for my rc trucks and just made a connector with the JST and Tamiya ends so that I wouldn't have to worry about my battery. like the other posts said, you can get off the ground with the cheap helis. If you are a novice, like myself, you will break something after a couple flights. The HB is pretty durable. I got about 10 flights off the ground B4 I hit the house. the house jumped right in front of my heli. I am waiting for parts right now. REMEMBER, watch the temp of your batt when using the cheap wall chargers!
Old 01-07-2005, 10:34 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an LMH 110+ that came out the first year they were available. It's still flying after all these years. The only parts to wear out were engines, one clutch, and the bell housing the clutch engages. May I suggest, if you want an e-copter starter you look at the corona by LMH? It flys well out of the box and there are lots of upgrades and bodies to keep you interested after you master the basics.

tom
Old 01-07-2005, 11:11 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

cheap micro helis are just that. They are made as cheaply as possible to keep the price down, and they sell lots of parts. Thats where they make their money. They will not last that long no matter what you do to them. You will have to buy parts. If you want it to last, look at the small gassers like the raptor 30s and such. The price really isn't all that different when you get it all and are ready to fly. If you don't want to keep putting money into it after the purchase, then a heli isn't the thing to buy. They all require parts and maint no matter what you do. Its just the nature of the beast.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:11 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have seen the tailrotor motors only last about 5 to 10 flights. Buy a stock pile of these. A couple guys I know have them they only get 20 flights or so out of the "so called" upgrade motors. The only micro heli's i have seen last anytime are the ones the guys are willing to spend rediculous amounts of money on to upgrade all the electronics to name brand stuff. I my opinion spend the money up front and buy a nitro heli right off the bat. These heli's don't go bad unless it is your fault.