Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

heli flight and realflight g3

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

heli flight and realflight g3

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 04:49 PM
growler14891

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heli flight and realflight g3

well i broken down and bought real flight g3 and well i very happy with it with the airplane part i feel my skills with planes is increase and rash may soon be a rare thing but.i have a ? for the other modelers out there do real r/c helis move side to side and forward seemly on there own like in realflight please help if i have set up realflight wrong our please tell me if this is fact with rc helis and can some one maybe suggst a good 2 storke beginner heli because i plan to by one soon.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Radd

Default RE: heli flight and realflight g3

Helis dont like to sit still......but ....I would check your trims....

Have you been drinking?......LOL
Old 01-11-2005, 05:24 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, real helis do that! That's what makes them so difficult to fly. I spent about 8hrs or so in the sim just learning to hover well! After you master hovering and some forward flight, turn on the wind and set it for 10mph wind with 20mph gusts... then go back to hovering it again!

To me, two main things combine to make heli flying a challenge...
1) The delay between the control inputs and the helis response takes some getting used to... you tend to over correct initially and end up "hovering" all over the place, instead of the desired 6' radius or so!
2) The interaction between cyclic inputs and what would be considered a collective response... when you give it left-right or fore-aft cyclic input, you usually tend to drop in altitude as well, so you need to give it some collective input to offset this.

RealFlight seems to do a pretty good job of modelling these, at least for hovering and some foward flight. I don't do 3D for real yet, so I can't comment on sim accuracy there!
Old 01-13-2005, 07:27 PM
growler14891

well thanks guys and no was not drink i have a bad ear problem and well when i wrote the post i was in a lot of pain but feeling better now.i did notice the helis in rfg3 have very slow servo settings.and after some check found thst digital servo are very much a improvement hey any idea on a good first heli
Old 01-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After some practice on the sim a Raptor 30 or 50 would be a good beginners helicopter. The 30 is cheaper while the 50 has more power. The 30 is cheaper to crash (and they happen a lot more with helis than with planes). Go to www.heliproz.com and look at some of the starter combos they have; the one with the Raptor 30 with OS 37, 49BB upgrade, and good blades would be a good start.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:02 PM
rusirius

Actually the 30s and 50s share a LOT of the same parts... The crashes are basically gonna run you about the same cost... The only real difference between the 30 and 50 beside the engine is a longer tail boom and longer blades... The 50 sucks a lot more fuel, but it is just a tad more stable (not that the 30 is unstable by any means) and it autos a bit better because of the longer blades (more kinetic energy can be stored). If you have any heli guys around you, find out what they fly and give serious thought to getting the same (unless of course they're running fury 90s... If you don't have any local heli pilots.. Then the raptor is definately the way to go... With some help from the forums and www.raptortechnique.com you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend getting the "good blades" at first... stick with wood... They're much cheaper to replace..
Old 01-14-2005, 10:48 AM
WhtBronco

I recently got back into heli and have found the Raptor 50 V2 with the TT50 engine, included in the kit, to be an excellent choice. It flies great, in fact it’s much easier to fly than the G2 helis are, IMO. It also comes with the 49BB upgrade and 2 sets of blades, 1 wood set and 1 carbon fiber set. My heli with some of the support equipment, if you have planes you already have most of the starting equipment, cost me $1500. I got the R50 V2, JR8103 with 811 servos and a GY401/9254 gyro combo. This has proven to be an excellent setup for cost and performance.

Fly the sim lots. It has helped me learn a great deal about flying helis. Previously I never got out of hovering. With the G2 sim I was flying aerobatics in just 9 flights and loving it.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Radd

do real r/c helis move side to side and forward seemly on there own like in realflight
Well...they do when I've been drinking......sorry..bad joke