Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

one way starter shaft clutch?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

one way starter shaft clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 04:31 PM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one way starter shaft clutch?

Hello
I need to order a starter for my new falcon and I really dont know what the purpose of the one way starter clutch is for, and if it is a good idea to spend the extra money for It.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 01-14-2005, 05:07 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: one way starter shaft clutch?

I'm not sure about the Falcon. The raptor's start shaft has a 1 way bearing where the start shaft doesn't spin while the engine is running so a standard start shaft will do the trick. My Nexus had a cone starter shaft that spun when the engine was running, when I put a hex adapter on it for a scale fuselage project, I had to go to a 1 way bearing starter shaft because after you start the engine, the starter shaft would try to spin the starter and break something. With the cone start, it slipped in the cone as you pulled it off so it was no big deal.

The short answer though is it depends on your helicopter.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:22 PM
ChopperMike

You shouldn't need one on the Falcon. I never used one on my Hawk. The Hawk uses a start shaft that is spring loaded to engage the fan to start the engine, when you pull the starter back it releases. If this is the way the Falcon is you don't need a one way bearing type start wand. I do need one for my Evo since it has a permanently engaged start shaft that spins any time the engine is running. This means that when the engine starts it tries to turn the starter and this makes it hard to disengage the starter from the start shaft.

Mike
Old 01-16-2005, 04:56 PM
syclic

The advantage of the one-way start shaft (in any heli), is when trying to start an engine that is flooded or overly rich. Any "backfire" will be easily rendered unharmful to any of the components as the resultant counter revolution will only result in the wand slipping backwards in the one-way bearing. This is especially useful in the 50 size and larger engines.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:25 PM
ChopperMike

ORIGINAL: syclic

Any "backfire" will be easily rendered unharmful to any of the components as the resultant counter revolution will only result in the wand slipping backwards in the one-way bearing.
That statement is incorrect. If the engine starts turning backwards it will engage the one-way bearing and try to turn the starter backwards. The only way the bearing can disengage is if the engine turns in the correct direction faster than the starter is trying to turn.

Look at the one way bearing in the main shaft. Turn the main gear the correct direction and the rotor turns in the correct direction. Turn the rotor in the reverse direction and the main gear turns backward.

Mike
Old 01-17-2005, 10:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I was thinking that post didn't look right.