Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

T-Rex for first heli

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 07:50 PM
PutU2Sleep
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Rex for first heli

Okay guys like everyone else on this forum I'm new to RC heli's. Looking at other forums it seems the T-Rex has been mentioned several times as a good aircraft to get for beginners. I am looking at a complete kit with all the electronics for the T-Rex at www.rc-expert.com, this is the link to see the kit.

http://www.rc-expert.com/product-pac...49a02b1a51cee0

Could any of you expert guys let me know if this is a good kit to get and if its a good deal for the money. I am also purchasing the Real Flight G3 before attempting to fly this thing. From what I have read on other forums the sims are definately the way to go before actual flight.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 01-17-2005, 08:58 PM
pwterry

Default RE: T-Rex for first heli

Although I have no first hand experience with the T-rex, I've heard nothing but good about it. And the combo you've found seems to be a reasonably good deal. The jury's still out on the gyro (it's fairly new), but everything else is of decent-to-good quality, and the price is okay. You can always replace the gyro with a better unit, should the Telebee not work out.

I do have some slight issues with rc-experts.com . I ordered a barebone Esky HB2 from them, and paid extra for fast shipping. I received an email when the package shipped that stated 7 to 14 days to receive. On day eleven I emailed them to request some shipping info so that I could start tracking/tracing my package's whereabouts. They never replied. I did receive my package on day 13 (13 days after shipping, 17 days after ordering). The point here being that, apparently, rc-experts does not support after the sale. They ship & forget. That being said, I don't think I've ever heard of anybody not receiving their goods, just don't expect it in a hurry.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:38 PM
tanasit

T-rex requires a fair amount of building experience and some understanding of radio control settings. I am NOT 100% convinced that it is suitable for completely novice. I have more that 15 rc heli both gas and electric but still learn new things almost every time I play with them. You may want to hold back a bit if you really decided on the T-rex because we believe that the new CCPM version will come out very soon. This will make the assembling much more simpler, not to mention less weight and parts. The only down side is that you will need theTX with CCPM feature.
I had more than 20 flights on my T-rex but still keep on tuning here and there because it can be better. The manual has good pictures but not much of explanation, so you may have trouble putting those very tiny parts together properly. Parts are cheap, so another plus.
If you have absolutely no experience and no helping hand around, you will have to ask a lot of question here. I won't hesitate a bit if you have anyone nearby to guide you, otherwise you may want to get the ARF and learn the basic first. The sim will definitely help (less crashes).
Is there a LHS nearby? If so, check it out first.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:12 AM
pwterry

tanasit,
The package Helimedic is looking at comes RTF, at least the advertizement says it is. Plus, any heli is going to need some trim & tune.

You do make a valid point on the CCPM model. IF the T-rex is going to be offered as CCPM soon, it's worth waiting for.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:42 PM
PutU2Sleep
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the advice everybody

Matt