Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

The Skinny from a rookie

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

The Skinny from a rookie

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Skinny from a rookie

I have been here for sometime and have read many post that are biased in one way or another and people saying that Nitro is great and micro sucks and the micros saying about the same well let me give you the lowdown from one rookie.I started in RC on December 26th 2003 and purchased a nitro monster truck thus the hate of nitro and told myself that I would be full blown into nitro and RC before I turned 50 in March well within six months I had my T-Maxx my Monster GT a Mammoth and a Losi Mini-T and was bored as heck with it and decided I needed something that would challenge me more plus I was tired of all the BS on the monster truck forum although this one is not much better(now we get to helicopters).

I then decided to get a Helicopter to try but my choice of helicopter and where I got it was totally wrong I purchased my first heli it was a Dragonfly from a place called Trend Times and had nothing but trouble and they would not take back so I decided to go on my crusade to warn people about them on all Heli Forms well I got response from them and it was not good but by then I had met my friend that would help me out and he is from this forum Eric Royer and to this day he has my thanks for all he did.That is why I pay my membership to this form every year it is the least I can do for all the help they gave me.Needless to say I was down on getting a heli any heli but Eric told me to hang in there and to not give up well I let it go until last September when a friend showed me Real Flight G2 and I was hooked again.

I purchased G2 and spent many hours on it you see I am disabled and cannot work so I put in hours everyday and finally learned things well and decided it was time to get a Heli so in the last part of September I purchased a Piccolo Eco V2 from Hobby lobby and started out needless to say I had problems with it right out of the box with the piccoboard and so I had to send it to Ikarus USA but it was ok,after three weeks I finally got it back and hovered it around and thought that there has to be something more to this and so that is when I purchased my Trex and sold the Piccolo.I built the Trex and got my Eclipse 7,a friend I met that is a good heli pilot and a works as a flight instructor at the Air Force Academy helped set up my Trex and get it in the air and I even surprised him when he saw how I could handle a collective pitch.

Through the past few months I also came by a Nexus 30 that I traded my Monster GT for,really didn't want it because of nitro but decided to keep for trading prospects and that is how I got my shogun by dumping the Nexus 30.But after seeing the size of the Nexus I wanted large that is when I decided to get the JR Voyager E.The Voyager was quite a bit easier to build than the trex and it flys allot easier than the trex also.and lastly my friend said I should get a heli that I can fly on the cold days in the house and so I purchased the Honey Bee because he has one and it flew well when he let me try it so that is how I got it.

The reason I posted this is because everyone says that new people say this and say that and get discouraged by so many things I decided to tell the story behind one new person and how I got into this and how I got the dislike for Nitro,you see it is not the Helicopters I dislike it is the irritating noise and the disgusting smell of the exhaust plus the added cost of fuel and all the other things you have to have to fly and having to fly at certain fields and the cost of joining one,although I am a member of the AMA for the insurance and it is another RC organization I can help support you see I feel if you are going to do it don't do it HalfA#*@# do it right.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Stuck-N-Da-Mud

Default RE: The Skinny from a rookie

Hey moe started same time you did as matter of fact ,you posted your problems obout trend times I replied with simular problems. got G2 ,humming bird pro,and raptor 30. Learned on the raptor was much easier to learn on .Flew the humming bird for awhile but sold it. I to got discouraged my self but hung in there.With the help of the great people in this forum and the local's here in my area.Got several monster trucks ,my raptor 30 . getting anther raptor 60 ,and yes getting anthor electric, T-REX. The nito does'ent bother me as far as mess and smell .Now that my flying skills have improved,I want to get back to electric which was my origonal choce to start with. This hobby has just got me hooked .Nitro, electric love to fly both .Glad to see things worked out for you. lol!!
Old 01-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Moe3754
Banned

Yes I remember you from the fun times you were one that was a help also and was quite vocal about the TT deal well all behind us now and we are doing what is fun I really was not going to get back in it but the sim hooked me then I was sunk fortunately the sale of the monster trucks helped defray the cost of the Heli's some.Am really glad to hear from you and maybe we can talk more about the hobby that has got us good.Take care and hope you enjoy your Trex man I really like mine allot although I think my favorite is my Voyager E just something about the heli has me really enjoy flying it although my rookie flying is questionable at best and the video in the review section here where Eric is flying his did not help discourage me from dropping a grand and getting one of my own OH WELL it is only money and we cannot take it with us when we roll a seven.GOOD HEARING FROM YOU AGAIN.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Stuck-N-Da-Mud

Well nice to hear from you again . Might hit you up for some set up help on the T-REX when I get it.Looks like we have same radio from what I read . SEE-YA
Old 01-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Moe3754
Banned

Will be glad to help you out just let me know!!
Old 01-27-2005, 08:07 PM
BadAtti2de

!QUOT!Thank you all for your help in one way or another and although sometimes I may sound like or seem like a total jerk well you are right I am but that comes from 10 years of being a Deputy Sheriff and not trusting anyone.!QUOT!
Ten years and your disgruntled. You just gave the impression to everyone here that cops are jerks and don't trust anybody. If you don't trust anybody, then why do you post here looking for advise. I have been one for 13 years and havn't posted one negative post. If you are a jerk here on the forums then you probably don't have many friends at work either. I am not trying to be negative but try to smile a little. It just bugs me the way some people see the police and you are obviously not helping the problem.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Moe3754
Banned

Hey ace I am retired disabled and was a cop long time ago so take a CHILL BUD you don't like what I say then to bad but being a cop was the worst and that is why I became a Electrician besides I needed a job that was a challenge and did not have the motto To Serve and EAT DONUTS so take a pill and TAKE OFF.[:'(]Also Most cops are jerks at least the ones I know.I was a cop when you were a just a glimmer in your old mans eye.[&:]
Old 01-27-2005, 11:38 PM
BadAtti2de

You sound you were has been. Like you lived your whole life as a security guard cop wanna be, then became a cop finally in some rinky dink town, and thought you were the world. So piss off. You probably got fired after ten years with an attitude like that.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:21 AM
radobahn

^^^
Outstanding Moe. I'm not a cop, but my father is a Deputy Sheriff and I'm currently persuing a career in law enforcement myself. I've had the pleasure of meeting numerous police officers/state troopers who are happy and extremely proud of the professions they've chosen. Based on the negative, immature, and stereotypical info you've provided in this post I'm overjoyed your no longer a commissioned officer. Law enforcement and society in general will definately be better off without people like you.

PS.. Members of this forum could really care less when it comes to any personal problems, attitudes, and/or opinions you or anyone else may have outside of the RC world. Everything was going just fine UNTIL your reply to WizRacer....so as you would say "CHILL BUD, take a pill, take off...dont like what I say? Too bad! Keep your material RC related or do us all a favor and go away...