Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Help Needed: Difficulty Starting helicopter engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Help Needed: Difficulty Starting helicopter engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Sricketts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed: Difficulty Starting helicopter engine

Greetings,

I recently purchases a second-hand Raptor heli. This is my first glow engine vehicle, an i am having difficulty starting the engine. I have managed to get it started and running once, but I am unable to get ti to start consistantly and stay running. For some reason i think the engine is not getting enough fuel to start and keep running, is there some trick to getting the fuel flowing properly, either in the way i pump the fuel or some way else. Additionally i am using a starting rod in a handhald drill, and am unsure about whether i should be using it at a low speed or a high speed to start thte heli. Also when i am starting the heli the instruction book states that i should hold the rotor head firmly; when i am doing this and removing the starter shaft is there any risk of me damaging the engine when it starts and i am holding the rotor head?

If some one could help me out i would be greatly appreciative.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:29 PM
`3D
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Help Needed: Difficulty Starting helicopter engine

Place your hand right on top and get a good grip..the clutch should not engage at idle so you should be fine..there is also a 1 way bearing so you can leave the start shaft ingaged for a few sec.

Give your throttle trim a few clicks up...also...before you power the glow plug...hold your finger over the exhaust and crank it over for a second or two, (primes the motor)...then power up glow and try again.

Give more info...engine type etc....
Old 05-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Sricketts

Thanks 3D,

The motor is a webra .51.....

actually i had forgot to ask what the optimum throttle position for starting is.....i take it from your reply that idle is the correct position?

What about the fuel system....how exactly does it work? does the motor turning over automatically draw more fuel from the fuel tank....because the few other time i have managed to get it to start for a second or two but then cuts out....but it had started when i had just pumped fuel into the system...so i figured fuel had been pumped into the cylinder, but when that had been burnt that it wasn't drawing any more fuel....

Additionally, it appears that my glow plug igniter has a very short period for which it holds charge...is this normal?

I'm going to try the finger over the exhuast thing when i get home....i had actually been trying it when i was cranking it to start it....but i will try with out the power to the glow plug...

Thanks again
Old 05-27-2005, 02:28 AM
xanadu_vector
My Feedback: (5)

High speed... spin the ***** out of it...
Old 05-28-2005, 02:50 PM
pischla

Hi!

You should have a pressure line from the exhaust pipe going to the main tank. When you crank the engine the pressure from the exhaust pumps fuel to the carburator. Try to remove the fuel line from the carburator and crank the engine a few turns and you should see some fuel come from the fuel line. For tips about raptors go to: www.raptortechnique.com

/Pischla